Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 PM

9 posts, read 18,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
You dont know Houston that well do you? We have million dollar homes on the same block has auto body shops and nail salons.
Yeah you're right I don't but I have read articles about how in Austin rich people are moving in to shabby neighborhoods and sprucing up old beat down homes or completely demolishing and buildinng new hundred thousand dollar homes in turn raising taxes for surrounding poor homes and people. Does it work in reverse in Houston? Or is that the way it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
This does not make any sense. Defeats the whole purpose to living there sometimes. Don't you think?
You are missing the point of Section 8 Housing... the point is to provide a means so families can live in neighborhoods they otherwise could not afford.

Section 8/Vouchers came about in response to the Housing Projects of the 50's and 60's... in other words an alternative.

I'm not making a judgement... just sharing my understanding of the program.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Older rent homes where the landlords (aka slumlords) dont want to put in money for repairs will start accepting sec 8 vouchers. It is economics 101.
Subsidized Housing may be new or old...

As far as repairs... no unit is eligible unless it meets HQS... (Housing Quality Standards) and rent reasonableness...

Often a unit will meet city/county standards and fail to meet HUD HQS...

Old 11-05-2009, 04:19 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You are missing the point of Section 8 Housing... the point is to provide a means so families can live in neighborhoods they otherwise could not afford.

Section 8/Vouchers came about in response to the Housing Projects of the 50's and 60's... in other words an alternative.

I am not against Section 8. Infact I love this idea but why build it around a good area where the crime is low and people are educated and earn high income?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
Quote:

I don't think Section 8 is supposed to enable people to live in neighborhoods they couldn't afford otherwise. It's supposed to be for people who couldn't afford a home anywhere without Section 8.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post

I don't think Section 8 is supposed to enable people to live in neighborhoods they couldn't afford otherwise. It's supposed to be for people who couldn't afford a home anywhere without Section 8.
No... you need to go to some of the HUD meetings... the board of Directors are very pleased they are able to place eligible families in "Good" neighborhoods with "Good" school districts that they could not otherwise afford...

The projects provided poor families with a roof over their heads... Section 8 is designed to get people out of the projects and mainstream them...

Give you a perfect example.... mother and father with 4 daughters... recieve no assisstance... father works for the phone company.... two bedroom home they own with granny living downstairs.

If this working family had section 8... at a minimum they would have a voucher for a 4 bedroom home...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
Quote:
No... you need to go to some of the HUD meetings... the board of Directors are very pleased they are able to place eligible families in "Good" neighborhoods with "Good" school districts that they could not otherwise afford...

The projects provided poor families with a roof over their heads... Section 8 is designed to get people out of the projects and mainstream them...
Well, I don't know. Sounds weird to me, but I'm not sure. I guess now I know how to get into River Oaks

Edit:

Well, it's still kinda weird to me. If they have an ok house... I'd rather put them into a bigger house.

Last edited by XodoX; 11-05-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: ....

Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Equal oppourtunity for everyone to live in a nice neighborhood, please lets not go there. No one wants to live in the "hood" forever. Also you don't know the situation this or that person is in, ultimate judge.
True...but... some of us don't want the "hood" to be brought to us.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
True...but... some of us don't want the "hood" to be brought to us.
About the only way to avoid having a Section 8 neighbor is too live on property so large... you can't see your neighbors or in a neighborhood so expensive that Rental Property doesn't exists...

Even Beverly Hills has Subsidized Units... not many though...

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
For me, it's not about "being on Section 8". It's the "stereotype" that's on Section 8. I live in an Apt complex (that I will soon be out of) that is in a VERY nice area..but..it takes Section 8...and it's filled with people who don't work, loiter, litter, deal drugs, etc. It's awful. Hate them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: