Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Whats that?
It's what happens when you build too much public housing concentrated in one area.

Cabrini-Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
In other words, you want stuff other people have and since you don't have the intelligence/motivation/skills/luck/blessings that others have you want the government to steal it from someone else and give it to you. Are you ready to concede that the steal-from-the-rich-give-to-the-poor nonsense that started out under Karl Marx was a lie when it was first told yet?
There seems to be this idea from some that the rich have gotten their wealth on the backs of the poor, or that the "man" keeps them down somehow, that way it's easy to justify taxing them at a higher rate then anyone else. From the figures below the top 25% of earners already pay about 86% of all federal income taxes! While the bottom 50% of earners only contribute less then 3% to federal income tax. Talk about the wealthy paying more then their fair share.

From National Tax Payers Union Website:

Tax Year 2007
Percentiles Ranked by AGI
AGI Threshold on Percentiles
Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid

Top 1%
$410,096

Top 5%
$160,041

Top 10%
$113,018

Top 25%
$66,532

Top 50%
$32,879

Bottom 50%
<$32,879

Note: AGI is Adjusted Gross Income
Source: Internal Revenue Service

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
There seems to be this idea from some that the rich have gotten their wealth on the backs of the poor, or that the "man" keeps them down somehow, that way it's easy to justify taxing them at a higher rate then anyone else. From the figures below the top 25% of earners already pay about 86% of all federal income taxes! While the bottom 50% of earners only contribute less then 3% to federal income tax. Talk about the wealthy paying more then their fair share,

Tax Year 2007

Top 1%
$410,096

Top 5%
$160,041

Top 10%
$113,018

Top 25%
$66,532

Top 50%
$32,879

Bottom 50%
<$32,879

oh get over it, you know the rich are evil and must support everyone for the social good of this country.It's the moral responsibility of the wealthy to support the disadvantaged. Everyone is entitled to a good house, a good school, salary and free medical care if they are born or come to this country. Well, at least that's what 44% of this country thinks, and Harry Reid really drove it home yesterday.

The basic theory of America merely providing you only the CHANCE of a better life is dying. You now deserve it all, served up free with a side of rice.

BACK OT: I still don't have a problem with lower income/no income apartments near me. Most are good people that want to provide an OPPORTUNITY for their kids to have a safe and steady education. I've seen no property devaluation or increased crime from them. Things do go on in those complexes though, and I wouldn't want to live right next to them. Having "apartment kids" mixed in with upper-middle class is a pretty good life lesson for all of them. One seeing how lucky they truely are, the other seeing what they could accomplish through hard work, luck, and keeping their nose clean.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
There seems to be this idea from some that the rich have gotten their wealth on the backs of the poor, or that the "man" keeps them down somehow, that way it's easy to justify taxing them at a higher rate then anyone else. From the figures below the top 25% of earners already pay about 86% of all federal income taxes! While the bottom 50% of earners only contribute less then 3% to federal income tax. Talk about the wealthy paying more then their fair share.

Tax Year 2007

Top 1%
$410,096

Top 5%
$160,041

Top 10%
$113,018

Top 25%
$66,532

Top 50%
$32,879

Bottom 50%
<$32,879

Don't the top 25 percent likely earn 86 percent of the income? Furthermore, if businesses had their feet held to the fire and were not allowed to write off every little thing or hide their assets in other countries, we would be able to lower taxes for the rich. Molly Ivins was the master of exposing all the little tricks many of the big companies use to avoid taxes.

Also, since we supposedly separate church and state, we should be taxing churches. Joel Osteen could probably feed every poor person in Houston if he were taxed properly as opposed to being allowed to write everything off.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,237 times
Rich people make their money off of the poor and the middle class people, so the next time you make a statement like that know what you are talking about. I have live in a nice neighborhood all my life and have done very well for myself as an adult. I have a lady that lives across the street from me in a rental house and she is on housing. She has been there for about 3 years now and she has five kids and we have not ever had a problem out of her or her children so know what you are talking about before you speak on it.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:11 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
This does not make any sense. Defeats the whole purpose to living there sometimes. Don't you think?
To avoid housing discrimination. You can say to someone, you can't live here because you are X,Y, Z.

New York has many new residential buildings that need to have a certain number of apartments set aside for "affordable housing". If you are one of those very lucky people to score one of these apartments, you can have a prime address, paying non-prime rent. My friend has an apartment in Battery Park City in Downtown Manhattan. Million dollar views. He practically lives there for free!

Now the politics behind that is very controversial and can get people into heated discussions, for sure.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

168 posts, read 470,310 times
Anyone who owns a home can offer thier home up for rental through Section 8 Housing. They simply fill out the necessary paperwork. The government will then 'offer' a rent cost. Many times the government pays this in whole, albeit late. Sometimes they will pay aportion of it and the tenant pays the rest out of thier pocket. It is up to the homeowner to accept it.

Since it is up to the homeowner to put the house up for Section 8 Rent, the blame for these Section 8 Rent houses you speak of fall on them. The reason they are popping up everywhere is because Home sales are down as well as prices and less people are buying, let alone renting, so homeowners are looking for ways to capitalize on unused properties in this down economy.

I agree with you, these houses are an eyesore for the neighborhood. Most of the time the yards are unkept and there are a lot of people living there.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,490 times
Thats why were in the position were in today because everyone thinks there better than another person, anyone of us could lose it all just like that be thankful, most section 8ers are college students and eldery folks.
Stop blaming "no zoning" laws in Houston if you look at the developments now all the lofts and condos are being built in the inner cities as we like to call this Gentrification its happening all over Houston, 5th ward, 3rd ward east end old 4th ward ( midtown ) washington ave, the heights

Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,713 times
I am a single mother of two girls, and I currently work as an entry-level paralegal in WA state. I hate to see the posts that people leave when they have no clue what they are speaking about. I am on Section because I qualify and it helps me immensley. How dare you individuals who are fortunate enough not to need Section 8 be-little others. Yes, I'm sure there are some bad Section 8 tenants. Yet, I am sure there are plently of non Section 8 voucher holder who would be ashamed at your words. Who are you to pass judgement?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
So you live in WA state and you're commenting on a Houston Texas discussion about section 8 housing. Hmmm, methinks you doth protest too much. Why could you not find a real apt? Destroy your credit? Have no relatives? Welfare credits not enough for the neighborhood you want to live in? Sure section 8 is nice for you and you're the best tenant one could hope for, but the system itself doesn't exactly help the areas it's in because you're the exception, not the rule. So you really should stop judging others for their concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: