Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What do those #'s mean?

Dude, that's Hosuton insider talk. Didn't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Dude, that's Hosuton insider talk. Didn't know?
No. I am from California.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
No. I am from California.
Don't matter. Got 60/48/20/20 in CA as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Also the crime factor is higher in Section 8 then other Apartment housing.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Not all section 8 residents are bad.

For example, I had a neighbor who was on a section 8 voucher for a while but soon got her life & her familly back on track.

After she was on section 8 & welfare for a while with her 4 kids, she received assistance from the government to go back to school to further her education. Now she's a public school teacher & owns her own single family home with her kids.

But there are some section 8 residents who can bring a community down.

A relative of mine lived in a high-rise gated condo development for 12 years.
The community was nice until back in 2002, some of the condo owners started leasing to section 8 tenants.
This community went down hill very fast because as soon as the section 8 families moved in, my relative notice an increase in loitering in front of the building, graffitti inside the hallways, bugs, & a decrease in property value.

As I said before, not all section 8 residents are bad people but a lot of them can bring "riff-raff" to a community.
and habitat for humanity is NOT section 8 ...... TOTALLY different beast....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Well I pray nothing ever happens to you or anyone in your family that you won't ever need anything.
no doubt........

Quote:
No it's their fault if they didn't find out about their tenants before they rented to them. They can run a criminal background check and the "thug" would've been discovered.
criminal back ground and credit checks only go so far..... unfortunately, i have a rental house next to mine (NOT section 8) and in the 5 years i have owned my house, that landlord has had a heck of a time keeping decent tenants..... the worst was a stripper and her boyfriend and mom and some of her kids..... she wound up STABBING him one night....... can not describe the joy in my house when they finally packed up and moved on..........

Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
No it's their fault if they didn't find out about their tenants before they rented to them. They can run a criminal background check and the "thug" would've been discovered.
Usually, you run a check on the renter, not his family members or friends who might end up staying there. That's why there's always a risk to being a landlord - you never know who might end up trashing your property.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
What do those #'s mean?
60 minutes / 48 hours / 20/20 one of those shows aired the special about the new condos

Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfizzy View Post
No one needs to live in a great part of town. If everyone had that opportunity, there would no longer be great parts of town.

I don't have a problem with the rich pricing the middle class and the poor out of nice neighborhoods. What I do have a problem with is the government forcing the rich to live right next to the poor, driving their property values down, and then completely leaving out the hard-working middle class.

Should luxury car manufacturers be forced to sell high-end vehicles to the poor for budget car prices? NO! That would be absolutely ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with low income housing, but it should not be forced in well-established neighborhoods.
The govt is not forcing anything...Section 8 depends on the landlord. Many times older complexes have a hard time getting tenants so they start accepting sec 8 to fill units. Older rent homes where the landlords (aka slumlords) dont want to put in money for repairs will start accepting sec 8 vouchers. It is economics 101.
The days of Govt housing has passed and sect 8 vouchers have replaced it. I do not know if HOA's prohibit some off the sect 8 housing vouchers in certain neighborhoods but I assume that may be against the law. If a property owner wants to accept them then that may be their right.

This is why I hate it when they build massive apartments next to nice neighborhoods. They are swanky now but just give it 10-20 years.
Look at Sharpstown. All of those apartments were THE places to be and be seen 20 years ago. They had nightclubs and fancy pools in them. Now they are all sect 8 and gang infested.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 18,151 times
That kinda boggles me... wouldn't the rent and taxes still be high when moving a seemingly low incomed group into a spruced up neighborhood? How does that work?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneTX View Post
That kinda boggles me... wouldn't the rent and taxes still be high when moving a seemingly low incomed group into a spruced up neighborhood? How does that work?
You dont know Houston that well do you? We have million dollar homes on the same block has auto body shops and nail salons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: