Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 16,160 times

Advertisements

We have spent the last few weeks house hunting in Katy and have been pretty disappointed in what we can get for our budget ($250K). We have started looking in Eagle Springs again.

We know Katy homes retain their value and continue to increase, but any feedback on Eagle Springs?

In fact any feedback on the community at all would be greatly appreciated. We have a 20 month old, so daycares and schools will be important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
We loved Eagle Springs--have some friends that ended up moving there and we almost did when it first opened. I don't like to say things are a "safe investment", because that's misleading, and there are good and bad things about all subdivisions... but Eagle Springs is a very nice neighborhood. I like the NE side's "feel"--but that may be because I grew up in Kingwood so I love those piney woods!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
I think Eagle Springs is too new to know if homes there will retain value.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,700 times
I hate to see anyone assume that any home, any community will retain it's value much less continue to appreciate. Over a long period real estate appreciates, on average, only 1.3% per year. As the recent bubble has taught us, that's just an average and each person's, each property's milage will vary.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Eagle Springs is actually approx 9 yrs old. It has held steady in its value but of course with the recession as in all hoods homes did get foreclosed on which does bring down comp home prices. That is just what happens anywhere. As far as a "safe" investment all investments are risky I feel but ES has a ton going for it!!
We were up here looking from CLearlake back in the fall of 01. Only like two sections were being paved and the builders were still in the trailers. Came back in Feb of 02 and signed to build a home with David Weekly a week later after deciding on what floor plans we wanted and what certain builders would and would not do. We LOVED living here and did so till June of 07. We were told that home values would not rise until new homes were done being built. Matter of supply and demand. Why buy used when you get new for the same!? We actually made a little money on our home and it sold in just 8 days. That was right when the economy tanked though. Homes that listed the same week as ours sat for almost a year or they just gave up. Its all in the timing and of course having the right Realtor.
We moved away for two years and briefly debated on wether or not to move back down to the Clearlake/League City area. Really it lasted all of 10 minutes. We just decided we did not want to live that close to the water and the fact that hubbys commute due to traffic literally would be abt the same. So we decided to look back up here. Looked in Summerwood and almost purchased a home there but on the street where there no kiddos and just too close to the Beltway for my taste but beautiful homes! So back to "home" we went. I like ES because of its location to everything. It grew soooo much in just two years. The ES Elementary is rated Exemplary and the second one is to open this fall and it is HUGE!!! Two stories and soo many wings to it. It is a "green" school so the kids should like learning about all of that.
We have an eclectic mix of people but over all it is mostly a family hood!! Kids everywhere. Parks every where and walking trails every where. We have a great sports complex, two pools and rumored to be a third. We have a great HOA and they are always planning events. Most recent was the Egg Hunt which my boys loved.
We have been back since July of last year and have no complaints at all!! We just love it here. Home prices are actually picking back up since the economy is doing the same. They are not sitting as long either. I feel there is probably two more years to go till we are built out seeing as the economy slowed and builders were just building when contracts were signed. After that I really feel that home prices will rise steadily but that is just my feeling. A seasoned Realtor who works in the area would be able to tell you more. If ya need one let me know!!! We had an awesome one who we have used twice now!! Even if you are angling for a new build I would work with her! She works very closely with the builders here.
We have friends who work downtown and even though Fall Creek is closer for them they would rather live no where else. Several have actually just moved up to larger homes here. ES just has that homey feeling.
If you have any further questions let me know! I would be more than happy to answer them!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,157 times
Master planned communities tend to appreciate more vs your standard communities.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
I second everythingTxgal said!!

I live in Eagle Springs currently (moved here just before Christmas from another community just down the road). We have friends who have lived here for almost 7 years (I think). I have watched the community grow in leaps and bounds, good builders invested in ths subdivision (David Weekly, Highland, Village Builders, Trendmaker, Ashton Woods), and it's close to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Who's to say about investments!! I personally think Katy is over rated. Everywhere has had some hits with this economy. That being said, read this:

For 2008:
Eagle Springs Makes National Top 10 List for Sales

Eagle Springs is the nation's No. 10 community for new-home sales, and ranks fifth in Houston and Texas, according to a new study just released by RCLCO, a leading independent real estate advisory firm which has compiled the annual list since 1994.

With 274 new-home sales in 2008, Eagle Springs was the only community in the Northeast Houston submarket included on the national top 10 list. A development of Newland Communities, Eagle Springs was also one of only three communities in the study to report a positive sales gain for 2008. New-home sales in the 1,360-acre community increased 2% in 2008, while new-home sales in the overall Northeast Houston submarket were down by approximately 30%.

The only other communities on the RLCO list with positive sales gains - Cinco Ranch in Katy and Telfair in Sugar Land - are also located in Houston, and are also developments of Newland Communities. Overall, Houston was home to five of the top 10 communities on the RLCO list.

For 2009:
Study ranks Eagle Springs 13th in nation for 2009 new-home sales

By From Community Reports

Updated: 03.25.10
Eagle Springs was the No. 1 community for new-home sales in the Humble/Northeast Houston submarket in 2009, and was the 13th top-selling community in the United States, according to a survey by RCLCO, an independent real estate advisory firm.

With 206 new-home sales in 2009, Eagle Springs also ranked as the sixth best-selling community in Houston and in Texas in the study, which RCLCO has completed annually since 1994.

“In the past few months, Houston has ranked very high in studies ranging from the nation’s healthiest housing markets to cities where the recession is easing. In fact, Atascocita was recently named the fastest-growing city in Texas by Bloomberg BusinessWeek,” he said. “Overall, the Houston communities on RCLCO’s top 15 list represented nearly 2,700 new-home sales, nearly three times the number in the second ranked metro, Las Vegas.”

Nelson noted that Eagle Springs is poised for another successful year in 2010, with the recent addition of new homebuilders including Ashton Woods, which has opened a new model showcasing plans priced from the $200,000s in the Barton Ridge neighborhood. The Humble Independent School District also plans to open a second onsite school in the community, Atascocita Springs Elementary, in August.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I second everythingTxgal said!!

I live in Eagle Springs currently (moved here just before Christmas from another community just down the road). We have friends who have lived here for almost 7 years (I think). I have watched the community grow in leaps and bounds, good builders invested in ths subdivision (David Weekly, Highland, Village Builders, Trendmaker, Ashton Woods), and it's close to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Who's to say about investments!! I personally think Katy is over rated. Everywhere has had some hits with this economy. That being said, read this:

For 2008:
Eagle Springs Makes National Top 10 List for Sales

Eagle Springs is the nation's No. 10 community for new-home sales, and ranks fifth in Houston and Texas, according to a new study just released by RCLCO, a leading independent real estate advisory firm which has compiled the annual list since 1994.

With 274 new-home sales in 2008, Eagle Springs was the only community in the Northeast Houston submarket included on the national top 10 list. A development of Newland Communities, Eagle Springs was also one of only three communities in the study to report a positive sales gain for 2008. New-home sales in the 1,360-acre community increased 2% in 2008, while new-home sales in the overall Northeast Houston submarket were down by approximately 30%.

The only other communities on the RLCO list with positive sales gains - Cinco Ranch in Katy and Telfair in Sugar Land - are also located in Houston, and are also developments of Newland Communities. Overall, Houston was home to five of the top 10 communities on the RLCO list.

For 2009:
Study ranks Eagle Springs 13th in nation for 2009 new-home sales

By From Community Reports

Updated: 03.25.10
Eagle Springs was the No. 1 community for new-home sales in the Humble/Northeast Houston submarket in 2009, and was the 13th top-selling community in the United States, according to a survey by RCLCO, an independent real estate advisory firm.

With 206 new-home sales in 2009, Eagle Springs also ranked as the sixth best-selling community in Houston and in Texas in the study, which RCLCO has completed annually since 1994.

“In the past few months, Houston has ranked very high in studies ranging from the nation’s healthiest housing markets to cities where the recession is easing. In fact, Atascocita was recently named the fastest-growing city in Texas by Bloomberg BusinessWeek,” he said. “Overall, the Houston communities on RCLCO’s top 15 list represented nearly 2,700 new-home sales, nearly three times the number in the second ranked metro, Las Vegas.”

Nelson noted that Eagle Springs is poised for another successful year in 2010, with the recent addition of new homebuilders including Ashton Woods, which has opened a new model showcasing plans priced from the $200,000s in the Barton Ridge neighborhood. The Humble Independent School District also plans to open a second onsite school in the community, Atascocita Springs Elementary, in August.
How could I forget those!!!! We are a great tag team!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM

31 posts, read 128,289 times
With your child being so young, I would find an area that "you" are comfortable with...unless you plan on never moving.

With that being said, my sister lives and has for 10+ years in the Spring area, they are also looking into the Eagle Springs area just because their jobs are "up there"....but you can not beat Katy. (yes, I live here...and have for 10 years) but I have lived all over Houston and the surrounding areas in my adult life and Katy is by far the best area we have found (that's why we've stayed here)

You can find beautiful homes here, the school are the best and you are close to just about anything you could possibly want or need. I love it here and will not leave Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston