Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times

Advertisements

Remember, there is a Hobby Lobby at the Huntington Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 PM

456 posts, read 603,175 times
forgot don't get down there enough!!!!!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 AM

583 posts, read 594,590 times
Lidl is another German grocery chain wanting to rapidly expand into the US. They started this summer in VA and NC. It could be one of those. The track record of clients that Interstate works with doesn't lend me to believe that the development is going to end up with anything cutting edge or surprising for the region to have but I'm just hoping for some new places and not more duplication of the same places.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
I believe the nearest Lidl location is around 4 hours from Barboursville. I think it'll still be a couple of years before we see a Lidl store in the area.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:28 AM

6 posts, read 5,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
I would love to see Lidl instead of Aldi but I have a feeling Barboursville is getting an Aldi. I'd be happy to have it so I can not drive to Teays Valley every other week.

I know for certain that one of the early tenants was going to be Home Goods. The delays definitely messed that up as it was pretty much a done deal. I have a feeling that Field & Stream probably killed chances for a Bass Pro even though it's kinda lame...comparatively speaking. The mall definitely benefited from the delays in Tanyard.

There are still plenty of good options out there. I hope Mayor Chris can wrangle up some good ones.
I would be happy with an Aldi. Where we live, it's probably 13 miles to the one on the west side, and over 25 miles to the one in Teays. While neither is horribly far, having one closer would most definitely have me shopping there more. I tend to shop within 5 miles of where we live. The farther I have to drive is savings lost and extra time commuting. So my local grocers benefit from that. Lidl would be better as it being different. It would give Aldi a little competition. I would really like to see Meijer come in here and give Walmart competition. We used to live in Ohio, and I really miss it. They are already in Kentucky and Ohio. It wouldn't be much of a push to get into WV. I've hinted to them to come here, and haven't ruled it out. Not sure what other stores I would like to see come in. So many of the malls are carbon copies of each other. I would want something totally different or unusual. I would like to see something like BD's Mongolian Grill come in here. There is nothing around here like that as far as I know. I would like to see an IKEA, but I know that will never happen. They put those in bigger cities.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:35 AM

6 posts, read 5,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
It may be too soon for a Lidl in our area. I believe they only opened their first stores in the USA back in June of this year and that was in the Hampton Roads VA area, the Greenville SC area and parts of North Carolina.
I have a feeling you're right about Lidl, but I guess one can hope. I, like others, have a feeling Aldi will go up there. I like them quite a bit, but something new would be even better. Any new grocer would be welcome. As far as several talking in the past about Trader Joe's or Whole Food's, I just don't know if there would be a big enough demand for it in this area. We are not an area known to eat healthy. Then again, more might with good options out there. I would. At least try. Old habits are hard to break. I'm guilty like the rest.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:25 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Regarding Lidl, there was a story yesterday in the WSJ talking about Lidl is in trouble right now. Despite adding more stores, their share of grocery shoppers in the areas they are in are going down. The stories conclusion was that Lidl despite good prices is possibly in pretty big trouble if they don't completely revamp their approach to the American market. The main points were they are to stuck on shopping trends of Europeans (prime space up front they are selling bike riding shoes), they don't pay attention to what their local market wants (an example of craft Beer vs local Wine was mentioned) and they are really bad at picking good locations (apparently a couple of their stores have been built behind existing shopping centers providing no line of sight to the roads). The story gave the impression that they might pull back (not build to many new stores) temporarily to figure out their strategy but its timing is awful because the story mentioned that Aldi has announced a 5 Billion dollar expansion of new stores in the next 5 years in America.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 AM

251 posts, read 260,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkzabel04 View Post
I have a feeling you're right about Lidl, but I guess one can hope. I, like others, have a feeling Aldi will go up there. I like them quite a bit, but something new would be even better. Any new grocer would be welcome. As far as several talking in the past about Trader Joe's or Whole Food's, I just don't know if there would be a big enough demand for it in this area. We are not an area known to eat healthy. Then again, more might with good options out there. I would. At least try. Old habits are hard to break. I'm guilty like the rest.
I have no doubt that Barboursville and the surrounding areas could support a Trader Joe's. They are wildly popular and have good prices. I agree with Whole Foods though. It's just too expensive to work here.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM

583 posts, read 594,590 times
With a decent sized college and a large suburban population in addition to drawing from Huntington and Charleston TJ’s would do fine. Don’t care one way or the other about WholeFoods. That’s a tougher call but it might do ok.

The problem is this developer seems tied to some more generic and main stream places so it might be out of their scope.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM

251 posts, read 260,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
With a decent sized college and a large suburban population in addition to drawing from Huntington and Charleston TJ’s would do fine. Don’t care one way or the other about WholeFoods. That’s a tougher call but it might do ok.

The problem is this developer seems tied to some more generic and main stream places so it might be out of their scope.
True. I'm not crazy about the developer. Kinda wish Barboursville had chosen somebody else.

I'm still holding out hope for a Trader Joe's. I'm hoping that Mayor Tatum still has that "new to the area" grocery store locked down. I just don't have much confidence in Tanyard or The Crossing.

Speaking of the Crossing. I just don't see the potential there especially considering that it's really just the guys that own Pin Point auto doing the development themselves. I would love to see them bring in a company to do the development work. The space though...just seems kinda awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington