Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM

166 posts, read 344,911 times

Advertisements

I think the article meant to say on New Year's Eve of 1963. I double checked when I saw the date was New Year's Day 1964. I hope I'm getting this correct. Gathering correct info from the internet is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack. Too many variations of the real thing. Thanks for the pic! Reminds me of a typical winter day in Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Thanks for the pic, autobahn!

I was wrong in my snow measurement yesterday...I took it on my deck which is between my house and garage, sheltering it. Measuring out in more open areas, they averaged out at 8.75".

Spent part of the afternoon sledding with nieces and nephews and great-nieces and nephews, which they thoroughly enjoyed seeing the old man do that...plus, I had lots of sleds from where we lived. Spent part of the day driving with my youngest daughter, who despite having lived much of her life in snow country, wasn't old enough to drive in it, and as it turns out, had never driven in much snow. It was a learning experience for her.

We survived.

Just saw a news story that cracked me up...about people up north running to the grocery because of the coming "nor-easter"...the storm that just hit us. It's not just a southern thing!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
How long do y'all think schools and roads will be closed, and how long do y'all think the snow will stay?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM

77 posts, read 135,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
How long do y'all think schools and roads will be closed, and how long do y'all think the snow will stay?
Good question. The real problem comes from the fact that it is going to be in the teens the next couple of nights and in the twenties during the day. Currently most of the roads are just 'slushy', but again with the lows dropping into the teens, it could make for dangerous conditions the next few days.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead80 View Post
Good question. The real problem comes from the fact that it is going to be in the teens the next couple of nights and in the twenties during the day. Currently most of the roads are just 'slushy', but again with the lows dropping into the teens, it could make for dangerous conditions the next few days.
Yea, it's not looking good....

Slush then freeze...start over...at least until Thursday....

Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 AM

The downfall of staying out of school is that we're going to have to make the days up. Really, I don't see the need to make up days, especially when most professors like to cancel classes several days out of the semester.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,291,008 times
I'm thinking HCS will take these days out of our spring break. I didn't realize university/college level classes would have to be made up. How would they reschedule since graduation and summer semester are already set and published? When I was in college (many moons ago) classes missed due to inclement weather (usually hurricane related) were not made up.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 AM

You're right! I doubt if they will days from our Spring Break though, if they decided to go that far. hey teach, what you're saying makes since, but you never know what colleges will do today.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM

159 posts, read 383,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I didn't realize university/college level classes would have to be made up.
The few times it has happened to me at UAH, it has been a very informal process. The teacher would poll the class on a day/time that everyone could meet outside of normal class time and use that as the makeup class.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM

phantomplan, is it normal for colleges to make up classes though? I've never been in a predicament where A&M has ever tried to, but who knows now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area