Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
10" as measured on a patio table here.
Very nice! I know you guys may think of it as an inconvenience, and I certainly hope everyone stays safe. But I have to tell you how much I envy you. I'm a total snowlover who lives about 350 miles north of you, and I haven't had anything over 3.5" so far this season. So I'll just say "Enjoy it". Grab a camera and go take some pretty pictures. Make some snow angels. Build an igloo. Build some snow forts, gather up some neighbors, and have snowball fight.

Okay, maybe it's too cold to do that stuff. I wouldn't even do it myself. But anyway, enjoy it somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
I absolutely hated the fact that I had to buy milk today.

Do people actually drink enough milk to warrant the raid on stores? I have never understood it.

I mean its like everyone wants to make french toast or something.
Or cereal, etc. If you can't get out for a few days, that's a staple to have on hand. It's just being practical.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Yes, many consider moving snow to be a great work out, but many heart attacks have been brought on by shoveling snow when out of physical shape to do so. Not to mention the hurt backs and falls. If you are shoveling be careful.
Here in Alabama, moving dirt from one pile to the next is a great workout!

I don't have a snow shovel neither so just use the regular one which was a pain, but it was a good workout nonetheless.

We will revisit this subject tomorrow and Wednesday, as the night time temperature is 25 deg. F tonight and 19 deg. F tomorrow night.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirat_cat View Post
That's it exactly--because we're not going anywhere anyway. And lots of people don't own snow shovels. We're fine to sit at home with our milk and bread and wait for it to melt.
We're having a shabu-shabu tonight, perfect setting with snow all around us

In 2 days I am going around the neighborhood and offer my milk and bread for sale, I expect to make a killing as an enterprising businessman.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM

166 posts, read 344,741 times
I thought this was interesting and since I took the time to look it up, I thought I would share. Today was the third largest snow on record for the Huntsville area, eight inches recorded at the airport. (We measured close to seven ourselves at home). On New Year's Day 1963, Huntsville had just under 17.1 inches of snow. On Jan 7-8, 1988, 9.6 inches. In March of 1993 seven inches.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM

871 posts, read 2,885,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
I thought this was interesting and since I took the time to look it up, I thought I would share. Today was the third largest snow on record for the Huntsville area, eight inches recorded at the airport. (We measured close to seven ourselves at home). On New Year's Day 1963, Huntsville had just under 17.1 inches of snow. On Jan 7-8, 1988, 9.6 inches. In March of 1993 seven inches.
NWS Huntsville 1964 New Years Day Snow

Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
Anyone have a good link to a live webcam in HSV to look at the roads? Not just a snapshot.

I'm listening to the Madison County police scanner in amusement Madison County Sheriff and Huntsville Police Live Scanner Audio Feed

All around the state webcams:
Skycams - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,766 times
Well that was fun!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
I don't own a snow shovel and I'm complete unfamiliar with the term "shuffle snow". I thought you shoveled it.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I don't own a snow shovel and I'm complete unfamiliar with the term "shuffle snow". I thought you shoveled it.
You say shovel, I say shuffle. Tomato, tomatoe...

According to Dictionary.com
Quote:
shuf·fle
–verb (used with object)

6. to move (one's feet) along the ground or floor without lifting them.

7. to perform (a dance) with such movements.

8. to move (an object or objects) this way and that.

9. to put, thrust, or bring trickily, evasively, or haphazardly (usually fol. by in, into, out, etc.): to shuffle one's way into favor.

10. to mix (cards in a pack) so as to change the relative positions.

11. to jumble together, mix, or interchange the positions of (objects).
Quote:
shov·el
–verb (used with object)

5. to take up and cast or remove with a shovel: to shovel coal.

6. to gather up in large quantity roughly or carelessly with or as if with a shovel: He shoveled food into his mouth.

7. to dig or clear with or as if with a shovel: to shovel a path through the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area