Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 10:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,466,171 times

Advertisements

cjseliga - I cherry-picked a couple of the comments from your article:

- "The arrogance of Ensor to totally ignore the Amarillo people is a joke and shows you they have no respect for the Amarillo people. I, for one will NEVER attend a game and give them my support or money. I would encourage others to do the same!! Hit em were it hurts, the pocketbook.

- "Fine don’t listen to the TAX PAYERS who funded this stadium, your team will fail"

Doesn't sound like a good start for either team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,381,002 times
Looks like the new name will be the Rocket City Trash Pandas with the logo unveiled on October 27th:

Rocket City Trash Pandas chosen as new Madison baseball team’s name

As a side note, I hear another Southern League team will be moving in a few years, besides Mobile. It seems Wichita will be announcing soon, maybe as early as tomorrow, they are getting affiliated baseball back, but this time a AAA team.

They are planing to tear down Lawrence–Dumont Stadium and build a new stadium in that location. Not sure which AAA team is relocating to Wichita in the PCL (Colorado Springs is already moving to San Antonio next year), but my guess is the New Orleans Baby Cakes will move to Kansas.

After the AAA team relocates, the old city, Metairie (New Orleans) might be getting a AA Southern league team in return, my guess is the Jackson Generals will relocate from TN to Metairie and probably keep the Baby Cakes name.

Lured by new stadium, New Orleans Baby Cakes packing bags for Kansas, sources say

Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,103,209 times
Rocket City Trash Pandas.... that's a mouthful.

RCTP..

Babycakes - I don't know of any of my old NOLA friends who bought any BabyCakes merch. In fact a bunch of them still wear Z's gear to games as a protest.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,381,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Babycakes - I don't know of any of my old NOLA friends who bought any BabyCakes merch. In fact a bunch of them still wear Z's gear to games as a protest.
Supposedly their merch sales increased after the name change a few years ago, even with all of the hatred it caused. I still remember the Denver Zephyrs and even the Denver Bears, when they used to play at the old Mile High Stadium.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,466,171 times
The Trash Pandas will never see a dime from me...

Old 09-05-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Supposedly their merch sales increased after the name change a few years ago, even with all of the hatred it caused. I still remember the Denver Zephyrs and even the Denver Bears, when they used to play at the old Mile High Stadium.
Out of town sales accounted for 80% of it from what my sources told me (works for a AAA team in another market).

He also predicted AA to NOLA - lower costs, more talent. He was shocked that the locals wanted the current owner to be involved.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM

13,093 posts, read 9,634,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Looks like the new name will be the Rocket City Trash Pandas with the logo unveiled on October 27th:

Rocket City Trash Pandas chosen as new Madison baseball team’s name

As a side note, I hear another Southern League team will be moving in a few years, besides Mobile. It seems Wichita will be announcing soon, maybe as early as tomorrow, they are getting affiliated baseball back, but this time a AAA team.

They are planing to tear down Lawrence–Dumont Stadium and build a new stadium in that location. Not sure which AAA team is relocating to Wichita in the PCL (Colorado Springs is already moving to San Antonio next year), but my guess is the New Orleans Baby Cakes will move to Kansas.

After the AAA team relocates, the old city, Metairie (New Orleans) might be getting a AA Southern league team in return, my guess is the Jackson Generals will relocate from TN to Metairie and probably keep the Baby Cakes name.

Lured by new stadium, New Orleans Baby Cakes packing bags for Kansas, sources say
It's kinda funny how the league names mean virtually nothing. Assuming PCL is the Pacific Coast League, Wichita is almost as far from the Pacific Coast as we are (an exaggeration, of course). The Atlantic Coast Conference used to only have states that actually touched the Atlantic Ocean, but now they have Louisville. Missouri isn't really "southeastern", nor is College Station, Texas. Oh well ....

It's a bit surprising that Wichita is getting a AAA team. It has to be about the smallest area to have one ... the CSA is only about 600K. They must really like minor league baseball there. But Green Bay has an NFL team so stranger things have happened.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's kinda funny how the league names mean virtually nothing. Assuming PCL is the Pacific Coast League, Wichita is almost as far from the Pacific Coast as we are (an exaggeration, of course). The Atlantic Coast Conference used to only have states that actually touched the Atlantic Ocean, but now they have Louisville. Missouri isn't really "southeastern", nor is College Station, Texas. Oh well ....

It's a bit surprising that Wichita is getting a AAA team. It has to be about the smallest area to have one ... the CSA is only about 600K. They must really like minor league baseball there. But Green Bay has an NFL team so stranger things have happened.

Wichita is closer to the PCL than New Orleans

Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 PM

13,093 posts, read 9,634,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Wichita is closer to the PCL than New Orleans
True.

I like the "Rocket City" name. At least it isn't called "North Alabama", and honestly, not many people have heard of Madison.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,601,371 times
I don't particularly like the name Trash Pandas. However, it's not surprising that it got 45% of the vote when you see what the other choices were.

Rocket City Trash Pandas will play ball in Madison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area