Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:42 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,593,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The Trash Pandas will never see a dime from me...
this team from a marketing standpoint will be wildly successful and popular.

From UPROXX
"The Mobile Baybears, the Double-A affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels, are moving north to Madison, Alabama, just outside of Huntsville in 2020.
With the move, they are also getting a new name and left the decision up to the fans, who did not disappoint. The Baybears will know be known as the Rocket City Trash Pandas, which is immediately the best team name in all of sports.
For the uninitiated, trash panda is slang for raccoon, and, well, north Alabama has lots of raccoons. Rocket City is in honor of Huntsville being the home of the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. When combined, it’s pretty spectacular.
BallCorps, which owns the team, made the announcement on Wednesday night and says Trash Pandas beat out ThunderSharks, Moon Possums, Space Chips, and Comet Jockeys — Moon Possums might be better than Trash Pandas in all honesty — in the fan voting, winning handily with over 44 percent of the vote.
The official logo for the Trash Pandas won’t be unveiled until October 27, but we have high hopes for their look. I’m hoping for a raccoon wearing an astronaut’s helmet, but they can go a number of directions. Whatever they choose, you can bet their merchandise will be a hot commodity among fans in town and those that just generally love weird MiLB gear."

Last edited by AU HSV; 09-06-2018 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 05:46 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's kinda funny how the league names mean virtually nothing. Assuming PCL is the Pacific Coast League, Wichita is almost as far from the Pacific Coast as we are (an exaggeration, of course). The Atlantic Coast Conference used to only have states that actually touched the Atlantic Ocean, but now they have Louisville. Missouri isn't really "southeastern", nor is College Station, Texas. Oh well ....

It's a bit surprising that Wichita is getting a AAA team. It has to be about the smallest area to have one ... the CSA is only about 600K. They must really like minor league baseball there. But Green Bay has an NFL team so stranger things have happened.
Yeah, PCL is the Pacific Coast League. It wasn't too bad back in the day with the PCL, AA, and IL, but when the American Association dissolved in 1997, most of the teams went to the PCL (Nashville, New Orleans, Iowa, Omaha, OKC) and a few (Buffalo, Indianapolis and Louisville) went to the International League.

Nashville is in the PCL, which is a lot further east than Wichita!

It will be interesting, when and if, MLB expands to 32 teams, where the two new AAA teams will play. I assume the IL will get 2 teams so they and the PCL will both have 16 teams each. I can see Memphis and Nashville moving to the IL if that happens, or at least Nashville moving to the IL and Jacksonville moving up to AAA.

With regards to the smallest AAA market, my hometown area of NEPA (Northeastern PA) only has 555,000 in its MSA and has had a AAA team (Red Barons, Yankees, RailRiders) since 1989.

While the PCL still is known as the Pacific Coast League, even with teams from Cali to Tennessee and Iowa, with regards to minor league hockey, the ECHL (AA level), used to be known as the East Coast Hockey League, but back in 2003 the West Coast Hockey League folded and the ECHL absorbed a bunch of west coast teams even one in Alaska.

They decide to keep the ECHL moniker, but get rid of any meaning for it!

Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,453,246 times
AU HSV = from your quoted passage: "north Alabama has lots of raccoons".

You know, it's kind of funny that I've lived here a long time and spent lots of time in the woods and with trash cans, but I've never seen a wild raccoon. Just my experience, the Internet says they exist here.

= "this team from a marketing standpoint will be wildly successful and popular."

You forgot your /s tag.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,847,886 times
Quote:

You know, it's kind of funny that I've lived here a long time and spent lots of time in the woods and with trash cans, but I've never seen a wild raccoon. Just my experience, the Internet says they exist here.

= "this team from a marketing standpoint will be wildly successful and popular."

You forgot your /s tag.
Put a bowl of dry dog food on your porch and set a camera up. It probably won't be long until a racoon discovers it and starts visiting nightly to eat. We had one that ate the dog's food for years. At first he would chase it off but finally our dog said screw it and would just lay there and let him eat. lol

Raccoons are amazingly smart. The door on the top of a feeder a friend of mine has was constantly open and he couldn't figure out who was leaving it open. He thought his son was leaving it open when he would fill it and got on to him for it but his son kept saying he closed it. He started checking it in the afternoon and then the next morning it would be open. He put a game camera up and got pictures of a raccoon every morning around 2:00AM walking up, grabbing the lid and opening it and then eating (he never closed it back lol.) So then he put a latch on it that you had to press in a spring lock, remove it and then flip the latch over before you could open the lid. The first few nights the lid was never opened but he got pictures of the raccoon trying to open it and discovering the lock. He studied it and fiddled with it. Finally after several nights, he went out in the morning and the spring lock was laying beside the feeder and the lid was open. He looked at the pictures and the raccoon figured out how the lock worked, took it off and neatly laid it beside the feeder. After that, he would put the lock on and the next morning it would be laying next to the feeder. It was a game they played from then on. He put the lock on every day just for fun and the raccoon would take it back off that night.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 AM

614 posts, read 768,100 times
I have chickens. Racoons kill my chickens. I "remove" racoons. They live in the Harvest area, and no matter how many I remove, more come back.

I don't like the new team name.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:19 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,593,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I have chickens. Racoons kill my chickens. I "remove" racoons. They live in the Harvest area, and no matter how many I remove, more come back.

I don't like the new team name.
you are probably having visits from coyotes or foxes as well.
Are the chickens not in a coup? if not Owls , hawks, and feral cats are also enjoying them.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:29 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,453,246 times
Yeah, I live in 5 Points. Not much wildlife (except me) around here...

However, I've seen possums, snakes, rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes in my neighborhood. Plus lots of other wildlife at the Arsenal, hiking, or canoeing. One memorable sighting was a BIG gar in a little stream at the RSA. Scared me and I was on land.

I still don't like the new team name. Stupid names were never going to appeal to me, anyway...

Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM

13,028 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, PCL is the Pacific Coast League. It wasn't too bad back in the day with the PCL, AA, and IL, but when the American Association dissolved in 1997, most of the teams went to the PCL (Nashville, New Orleans, Iowa, Omaha, OKC) and a few (Buffalo, Indianapolis and Louisville) went to the International League.

Nashville is in the PCL, which is a lot further east than Wichita!

It will be interesting, when and if, MLB expands to 32 teams, where the two new AAA teams will play. I assume the IL will get 2 teams so they and the PCL will both have 16 teams each. I can see Memphis and Nashville moving to the IL if that happens, or at least Nashville moving to the IL and Jacksonville moving up to AAA.

With regards to the smallest AAA market, my hometown area of NEPA (Northeastern PA) only has 555,000 in its MSA and has had a AAA team (Red Barons, Yankees, RailRiders) since 1989.

While the PCL still is known as the Pacific Coast League, even with teams from Cali to Tennessee and Iowa, with regards to minor league hockey, the ECHL (AA level), used to be known as the East Coast Hockey League, but back in 2003 the West Coast Hockey League folded and the ECHL absorbed a bunch of west coast teams even one in Alaska.

They decide to keep the ECHL moniker, but get rid of any meaning for it!
I believe Nashville will be one of the teams when MLB expands. Not sure where the other might be, but I suspect somewhere in the southwest, maybe Albuquerque. Jacksonville is possible, but they're still at AA so may not have much interest in baseball.

I just wish the Rocket City team was affiliated with the Braves. Take it from Jackson, MS, and move it here ... there's lots of Atlanta interest here.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:10 PM

13,028 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:

You forgot your /s tag.
I live in Edgewater, and there are many racoons here. I have a large tree in my backyard with a hole in it, and a family lives there. They're lots of fun to watch, but they also will get into the bird feeders. But so do squirrels. The racoons had two babies this year, and they were cute as can be.

We also have the occasional red and gray fox.

My wife looked out the window one morning, after daybreak, and a racoon was laying in the back yard. We thought he was dead, and were about to call the city and see if they could come remove him (there's always the fear of rabies). Looked out a few minutes later, and he was gone ... he was either taking a nap, or had fallen out of a tree and was stunned.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I believe Nashville will be one of the teams when MLB expands. Not sure where the other might be, but I suspect somewhere in the southwest, maybe Albuquerque. Jacksonville is possible, but they're still at AA so may not have much interest in baseball.

I just wish the Rocket City team was affiliated with the Braves. Take it from Jackson, MS, and move it here ... there's lots of Atlanta interest here.
For MLB expansion (assuming Tampa and Oakland get new ballparks) I would say Montreal and Portland or Montreal and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area