Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
Well, I see your chart there, Charles, but Ive heard many who agree, metro Va/DC is unbearably hot.
The humidity is crazy high sitting in the Potomac River Valley from what I have heard. It is obviously a little cooler in terms of temperature than Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
DC and it's closer suburbs can be unbearably hot! And humid!! A few years ago we had a summer that was so humid and hot that the moment we were out of airconditioning, we were sweaty betties. Sweltering was the word of the day.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM

133 posts, read 534,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
DC and it's closer suburbs can be unbearably hot! And humid!! A few years ago we had a summer that was so humid and hot that the moment we were out of airconditioning, we were sweaty betties. Sweltering was the word of the day.

There ya go, Charles !

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
I don't know about Green Builders (I'm sure someone will...) but I can attest to being able to find ample acreage on Green Mountain (at least a year ago there was...) or here above me - what is that newer development back there? Chapman? Heading toward Monte Sano (Oak Park - we have half an acre with a forest behind us. I'm currently reclaiming the old planting beds and in addition trying to start a woodland garden...)

AL clay is not like FL sand. Will be buying a composter a.s.a.p.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM

45 posts, read 265,987 times
Thanks 33458 (your old FL zip code? :-). I posted a new thread on sub-divisions so hopefully will be able to get some names on that. Backing up to forest is THE wonderful part. AL clay - oh yes! We lived in Montg. area for 18 years and dealt with that. Here in VA it's a diff. kind of clay.

How long can you garden in the Huntsville area? I don't think it's as warm as Montg. but I've been here long enough to forget when the first freezes come and go.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I don't know about Green Builders (I'm sure someone will...) but I can attest to being able to find ample acreage on Green Mountain (at least a year ago there was...) or here above me - what is that newer development back there? Chapman? Heading toward Monte Sano (Oak Park - we have half an acre with a forest behind us. I'm currently reclaiming the old planting beds and in addition trying to start a woodland garden...)

AL clay is not like FL sand. Will be buying a composter a.s.a.p.
I don't think there is a single cleaning product that can get that clay out of clothes at all. If anyone has any tricks up their sleeves to take it out, I'd like to know. That stuff is the kudzu of laundry.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
There ya go, Charles !
From http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/

Average afternoon humidity

Average High temperature

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM

I always say--100 degrees with humidity is HOT--no matter where one lives! Huntsville is worse on average, but it just lasts longer here--the only part of living here I am not fond of--that and the lines at the DL and AL Tag/Registration

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingsunshine View Post
I like the sound of "green" city - fits well :-) I had noticed the gardens. They look VERY nice. My husband is a Master Gardener so we always look for places that have options for volunteering.

Thanks for the weather charts, Charles. Are the evenings and mornings cool in summer?

Donna
He can volunteer to do my yard.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM

45 posts, read 265,987 times
Funny, Sarges Dad. Has to be a Master Gardener approved project.

Can anybody tell me how the mornings and evenings FEEL in the summer months? The weather charts are fine, but depending on humidity it doesn't really tell the real picture. The heat knocks me out pretty easily, so I need to garden early while it's cool. I don't want to move to an area where I won't have time for gardening ... and I love to sit out at night before bed. Since we're at home 24/7 (work at home) we want to move to a climate we can still garden in, but that isn't so cold in the winter. We're in VA now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area