Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKNAH View Post
while in the time i spent in the state of idaho you'll figure out who actually runs that state the mormons! yes i did say the mormons! it is actually out of hand especially the way people treat you when they find out your not from there no matter who you were related to. tell me what's open on sunday? winco for grocery shopping nothing else! I spent many years making the trip to that state and don't worry i have no reason to or desire return
to that state for the rest of my living days. the way people make a living there they work under the table both parents and the state supports them and there children now that's a way of life ! believe me i moved every six months as kid been to more school's than i can count and in the state's i lived in i've never came across the rudiness name calling anything you can think of ya you can let your mind wonder on this one!!!!
Not quite which part of the state you were in, however practically every place is open seven days a week here in SE Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
while in the time i spent in the state of idaho you'll figure out who actually runs that state the mormons! yes i did say the mormons! it is actually out of hand especially the way people treat you when they find out your not from there no matter who you were related to. tell me what's open on sunday? winco for grocery shopping nothing else! I spent many years making the trip to that state and don't worry i have no reason to or desire return to that state for the rest of my living days. the way people make a living there they work under the table both parents and the state supports them and there children now that's a way of life ! believe me i moved every six months as kid been to more school's than i can count and in the state's i lived in i've never came across the rudiness name calling anything you can think of ya you can let your mind wonder on this one!!!!
Thank goodness --referring to the statement I bolded above!
I am offended by your comment!!

BTW, where were you at in Idaho, why you are generalizing the whole state based on the area you lived in or visited?
Dang, I live in Boise and almost everything is open on Sundays--even the Macy's department store downtown.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 07-30-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Wow, that couldnt be any further from my experiences in Idaho... I have been there numerous times WITH Calif. plates on my vehicle, and I have never had anyone be rude to me and my family. In fact we always comment on how much nicer people are in Idaho than Ca... I have literally been all over the state from Boise, to Idaho Falls, Sandpoint and everywhere in between. It has always been a pleasure to be there.
I think some people just dont get along no matter where they move. Just remember when you point a finger of blame, there are 3 pointed back at you.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Wow, that couldnt be any further from my experiences in Idaho... I have been there numerous times WITH Calif. plates on my vehicle, and I have never had anyone be rude to me and my family. In fact we always comment on how much nicer people are in Idaho than Ca... I have literally been all over the state from Boise, to Idaho Falls, Sandpoint and everywhere in between. It has always been a pleasure to be there.
I think some people just dont get along no matter where they move. Just remember when you point a finger of blame, there are 3 pointed back at you.
My experience too.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 21,973 times
Default Discrimination

If you wouldn't mind answering a couple questions it would be greatly appreciated. My family currently resides in AZ. We are non-LDS and possibly moving to the Idaho Falls area. We have never had any "problems" with any LDS ppl. We are Christian and in my opinion have the same moral values. One of my daughters best friends in high school was LDS and they were great for each other. If one started looking for trouble, the other pulled them back. It went both ways.
Here is my concern: My sister in law grew up in a small predominantly LDS town. She said if you were not of the faith you were an outcast. ( she was LDS) I have a son just starting high school that plays football. My biggest worry is that he will be discriminated against and not get to play. Should I worry? Please be honest.
Thank you so much,
P.S. We are very conservative and love fishing!!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
If you wouldn't mind answering a couple questions it would be greatly appreciated. My family currently resides in AZ. We are non-LDS and possibly moving to the Idaho Falls area. We have never had any "problems" with any LDS ppl. We are Christian and in my opinion have the same moral values. One of my daughters best friends in high school was LDS and they were great for each other. If one started looking for trouble, the other pulled them back. It went both ways.
Here is my concern: My sister in law grew up in a small predominantly LDS town. She said if you were not of the faith you were an outcast. ( she was LDS) I have a son just starting high school that plays football. My biggest worry is that he will be discriminated against and not get to play. Should I worry? Please be honest.
Thank you so much,
P.S. We are very conservative and love fishing!!
Just a point of view from one christian to another. Recently moved from California to Oregon , to help a friend manage his newly purchased campground, after a few month it appeared it would not work out , so in talking to another friend ( a Morman ) that we would be comming back to the area , without giving it a second thought he offered his home to us untill we could find living arraignments , which we accepted. after ariving we decided to purchase a RV to call our home , when we told him we were going to move to a RV park near by,he asked WHY? seams that he had put in an RV service area next to his shop just for that purpose. We had many meals togather. during those meals we did discuss the LDS church's beliefs, Yes they are simular to our christian beliefs. We were never looked down to or critized for not going to their services , but were always included in their celabrations as guests, and when medical services were required which they were , without delay we (the Wife and i ) were attended to first without question as to what insurance we had or how we were going to pay for them. The question did come up as to prior contact with other LDS members in the past and when i state that some in the past had stated that ,we not being Morman ,that we were not worthy . To this they made it clear was not so , that they were taught just the opposite, as long as we were believers it did not matter. So what i am trying to say is that your sister in law is wrong in her beliefs , Believers are not out cast maybe only in her mind . Having spent over 1 yr with these friends and in turn spending time with there many church members i would not have a problem or concern moving in to an area with a high number of LDS knowing that i still can keep my own christian beliefs intact.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,772 times
Let me just put in my two cents. Mormon communities are no different than any community that predominantly populated with one religion. If you moved to Jewish, Muslim, specific sectarian Christian, etc.. community, you would feel the same thing that many here feel about Mormons.

I grew up in Las Vegas, and two or three of my best friends were Jewish (incidentally, one was the current Mayor's son). When they had their Bar Mitvah's, I was invited, but felt left out. Their sisters were discouraged from dating non-Jewish boys, etc...

The fact is, this just happens, its not a part of Judaism or Mormonism....in fact both religions, as do most, teach their respective parishioners to be more inclusive and friendly to "non-believers"...theory and practice are always distinct. That's just life.

Some Mormons are wonderful people, and some of them are horrible....just like any other group of people out there.

Move to Idaho, and if you're friendly to them, you'll (most of the time) get the same back in return.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
while in the time i spent in the state of idaho you'll figure out who actually runs that state the mormons! yes i did say the mormons! it is actually out of hand especially the way people treat you when they find out your not from there no matter who you were related to. tell me what's open on sunday? winco for grocery shopping nothing else! I spent many years making the trip to that state and don't worry i have no reason to or desire return
to that state for the rest of my living days. the way people make a living there they work under the table both parents and the state supports them and there children now that's a way of life ! believe me i moved every six months as kid been to more school's than i can count and in the state's i lived in i've never came across the rudiness name calling anything you can think of ya you can let your mind wonder on this one!!!!
As a non-Mormon who grew up in Boise and attended college in Moscow, I find this post absurd.

Really, though... what part of Idaho were you in, for how long, and how obvious was the chip on your shoulder??? Personally, from the tone of this post all the way to its 3rd grade writing level, I get the feeling the Idahoans weren't the source of your issues.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Well said. Another great defense against stereotypes from Traci.

I will gladly return to Idaho if given the opportunity. Mostly because a lot of long-term, in-depth friends live there, but also because I miss the general friendliness and courtesy, which is the one thing that really can be generalized to the majority of Idahoans.

As I've mentioned to you in other posts, most Idahoans are glad to welcome "outsiders" who come with the right attitude. The only people who ever bothered my friends and I were the ones who thought they were "way too cool/urban/cultured/(whatever)" for "hick" stuff like meeting neighbors, considerate driving, and nature appreciation.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 PM

39 posts, read 74,817 times
Pocatello is very strongly LDS. Non-LDS kids get shunned from certain cliques and boyscout troops, etc, at about age 12 on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho