Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I think that says more about spiraling medical costs in the US than the anchor baby problem. My point was that turning away a mother in labor is not going to keep that child from being born in the US and being a US citizen. The welfare costs to follow are much more significant than the actual cost of childbirth.
Prenatal, delivery, postnatal, WIC, welfare, etc. are ALL being paid by U.S. taxpayers for millions of illegal aliens. It’s a HUGE, unnecessary burden. We cannot become the maternity ward and caregiver for the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This is an immigration issue but more directly it is a 14th amendment issue which states pretty clearly that those born on American soil are citizens, no matter the intentions of the parents. Refusing medical care and social programs are another matter but until there is a constitutional amendment to reverse this no law trying to counteract the 14the directly will survive any reasonable federal court.
Exactly right. The problem is one of birthright citizenship which, IMHO, needs to be changed to citizenship by descent or by naturalization.

Right now the kids are American citizens just like you or me and are entitled to the same benefits any other American citizen gets. By law, the "anchor babies" are not illegal immigrants. So the 14th Amendment needs to be replaced before you can put any reasonable solution in place.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Well, I took my son to the Children s hospital ER when he broke his arm...After waiting in line, yes behind ten bazillion hispanics, got to the window and was told I had a co-pay of 150.00 for using the ER...I said, well obviously I didn't plan for my son to break his arm, so can you bill me and set up pay arrangements...I was told no, my insurance said I have a co-pay so in order to be seen, I had to pay it....so guess who was on the phone asking dad for the money to pay the copay while my 6 year old son sat waiting with a broken arm...No exaggeration, plain and simple truth...But what could I do, except pay it so my sons arm could be tended to..
That’s the sad truth of having insurance. If your insurance company requires a co-pay, unfortunately, you must pay. Not only do you pay for your treatment, but also for the uninsured. Now, had you NOT had insurance, they would have treated your son, just as they do millions of illegals on a daily basis.

Have you heard of the woman who received multiple organ transplants and never received a bill? No attempts were made to collect. After all, she’s an illegal alien, and we owe her.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Prenatal, delivery, postnatal, WIC, welfare, etc. are ALL being paid by U.S. taxpayers for millions of illegal aliens. It’s a HUGE, unnecessary burden. We cannot become the maternity ward and caregiver for the world.
When I had my babies, we had to have the hospital and doctor paid for before birth. Also, don't forget - illegals get free organ transplants over Americans who are waiting on lists, and have to have a certain amount of money first. Free Organ Transplants for Illegals in California Don't forget this illegal convicted felon who got a penis pump at taxpayers expense. Unauthorized Access (http://www.shakopeenews.com/news/general_news/county_attorney_decries_costs_illegal_aliens-107 - broken link)

Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
When I had my babies, we had to have the hospital and doctor paid for before birth. Also, don't forget - illegals get free organ transplants over Americans who are waiting on lists, and have to have a certain amount of money first. Free Organ Transplants for Illegals in California Don't forget this illegal convicted felon who got a penis pump at taxpayers expense. Unauthorized Access (http://www.shakopeenews.com/news/general_news/county_attorney_decries_costs_illegal_aliens-107 - broken link)
Same here. My doctor had been paid in advance. Unfortunately, I required an emergency c-section, and my son required a resuscitation team. Of course, we didn’t anticipate the drama.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:54 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
This is true.

Three hundred million Americans can't be expected to support all the poor people of the world either. It's very selfish and arrogant to expect that of us. No one subsizided my grandmother's legal immigration. Why should I have to subsidize anyone else's decision to move especially someone who isn't even here with permission?

However I'm still not entirely sure how someone can get food stamps without presenting documentation. Even if the child is a legal citizen doesn't the parent have to present some form of documentation indicating her own income and right to receive such assistance?

I had to verify that I was entitled to unemployment insurance when I was briefly without a job a few years ago. That took about two weeks and lots of paperwork.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/061206dnmetmoms.d9b9669.html - broken link)

I admit reading this article makes me so mad.

Quote:
Gloria Corona, 31, was back at the prenatal clinic for the first time in four years, convinced that she was pregnant with her third child but wanting to find out for sure. Her boys, 4 and 5 years old, were born at Parkland.
Speaking through a translator, Mrs. Corona expressed gratitude for the Parkland staff having taught her to stay away from alcohol, to eat vegetables and fruits and to drink lots of water during her pregnancies.
She also was grateful that Parkland charged her nothing for the first two deliveries. In her native Mexico, she would have had to pay $200 for a hospital delivery, the equivalent of four to six weeks' pay there, because she had no health insurance, she said.

A cheaper alternative in Mexico would have been a birthing center, which uses less-skilled staff but still costs about $50.
What a group of nervy, lazy, arrogant, creeps! Good grief people. Pay for your own damned babies. No American should EVER be taxed to support illegal migrants to do nothing but give birth at taxpayer expense. I would be beyond furious were I living Dallas and being taxed to support Mexico's maternity costs.

The people in this article should be required to admit where they're from and have all bills sent to their home country's governments before any hospital admission.

I had to pay about 1k out of pocket for my daughter's birth and I had good medical insurance. Why should Gloria Corona expect me to shell out additional funds for the delivery of hers? Let Mexico pay for it!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
This is true.

Three hundred million Americans can't be expected to support all the poor people of the world either. It's very selfish and arrogant to expect that of us. No one subsizided my grandmother's legal immigration. Why should I have to subsidize anyone else's decision to move especially someone who isn't even here with permission?

However I'm still not entirely sure how someone can get food stamps without presenting documentation. Even if the child is a legal citizen doesn't the parent have to present some form of documentation indicating her own income and right to receive such assistance?

I had to verify that I was entitled to unemployment insurance when I was briefly without a job a few years ago. That took about two weeks and lots of paperwork.
They pretend they don’t know the whereabouts of the father. Given that most illegal alien women are employed in menial jobs, they easily qualify. The women collect the welfare for their U.S.-born children, while the fathers are paid in cash. They laugh at us.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
I agree; something must be done to stop this abuse, but it will never happen. Illegal alien advocates would scream racism, discrimination, Nazism. . . . you name it. It would make the controversy surrounding SB 1070 pale by comparison.
Yep, that's it. When someone tries to make you follow the rules, scream you're a victim - racism, bigotry, religious discrimination, etc. - after all, no one from *your* group should have to follow the rules that everyone else had to abide by! Sounds like our HOA...

Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm thinking out of the box right now but to me this sounds like there are some opportunities for improvement on the healthcare end. Has there ever been the suggestion to have ER's use E-Verify when taking in patients? Anybody who is found as a mismatch could be refused service without either providing collateral of some kind (car, house, expensive jewelry, etc.) or the ID information of somebody else would be made responsible for the bill (with the person's permission of course).
It's against Federal Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration