Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
interesting.
so a child who was brought legally to this country by their folks and has been here for one year has more claim to this country than a person brought to this country as a child [ilegally] but that has been here for 20 years?
who do you think would be more culturally "american"

so then culture or being a part of the culture matters little?

interesting.
There are many people in this country that have been here legally for years and years and are even citizens but "culturally" they aren't really American. So it wouldn't be far fetched to say that many that have been here illegally for numerous years are not culturally American either. Some still don't or won't speak English for one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I wasn't "comparing" the two - just saying that both had no choice in whether they were brought here or not.
But, the whole mentioning of illegal immigration of today with slavery is disrespectful to the history of slavery, what the slaves went through and Black Americans today who ironically are directly affected by undocumented people being able to work here.

As a black person, I hate when people put our descendents in the same stew as illegal immigrants of today. You can't compare (which you did) a child of an undocumented immigrant to the slave of the Atlantic slave trade.

Nor can people compare Black Americans during Civil Rights eras with undocumented immigrants.

I just had to say that because I think it is a talking-point to try to throw African slaves and Black Americans into the illegal immigration debate.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Oh yea, let's ask ourselves this question: if we went to a country illegally or overstayed our visa and we had a baby or child with us (who is also an undocumented person), what logic is it that says that child should be automatically legal or given special consideration? Who can force a nation (any nation) to do that?

Sounds to me as though the child should be held to the same requirements. What is the child going to do legally without their parent anyway?
You're right.

What other group of lawbreakers gets rewarded or their children rewarded just because they chose to break the laws?

Children of child molestors aren't given some special rights over others. Children of bank robbers or embezzlers aren't given extra food stamps or a clothing allowance because they got used to the extra money from their parents' crimes.

Besides you know exactly where all this ends up. First they will get everyone to accept a special privilege for children whose parents broke the laws when the children were less than 1 year of age. But that's "not fair" to the 5 and 6 year olds who were smuggled in 5 years ago, they too want their citizenship reward because their parents broke the laws.

Then you have to also accept the 12 and 14 year olds who were smuggled in just 2 years ago - it's also "not their fault" even though they can't begin to say that in English. And of course there's that 17 year old kid whose parents just had him smuggled in last year, he too wants his reward. It would be unfair to send him back - that would be age discrimination after all. Maybe his parents couldn't afford the $10,000 to pay the cartel to smuggle him in earlier so it would be wealth discrimination besides.

And the pro-open borders side would then demand the illegal parents be rewarded their citizenship once the smuggled in children are given it because it would break up families to deport them.

This all gives a right that the childless illegals or those who supported their children through remittances and left them in the homeland aren't given. It rewards a special group of lawbreakers. Those who intended to come here and get welfare are rewarded more than those who didn't bring their children in. Many of those who didn't smuggle their children in, actually care a whole lot more for their kids and will not turn them over to criminal strangers working for the cartels who comprise the smugglers.

An illegal who subjects his 12 year old daughter to rape and danger gets a bigger reward than the illegal who would never dream of turning his young daughter over to criminal groups to smuggle in.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are many people in this country that have been here legally for years and years and are even citizens but "culturally" they aren't really American. So it wouldn't be far fetched to say that many that have been here illegally for numerous years are not culturally American either. Some still don't or won't speak English for one example.

Especially when they STILL consider themselves "proudly Mexican" if asked.............

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
They receive special provisions by being educated for free, plus a lot more.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
But, the whole mentioning of illegal immigration of today with slavery is disrespectful to the history of slavery, what the slaves went through and Black Americans today who ironically are directly affected by undocumented people being able to work here.

As a black person, I hate when people put our descendents in the same stew as illegal immigrants of today. You can't compare (which you did) a child of an undocumented immigrant to the slave of the Atlantic slave trade.

Nor can people compare Black Americans during Civil Rights eras with undocumented immigrants.

I just had to say that because I think it is a talking-point to try to throw African slaves and Black Americans into the illegal immigration debate.
As a White American, I totally agree with you. Ya'll are United States citizens. They are not. They broke laws to come here, break laws to stay and take jobs and money out of OUR mouths.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
See above. I DO try to be fair minded and see both points of view of an argument. After the discussion with my daughter I was wondering if I was "missing something", if my views showed a lack of compassion, yada yada.

In her defence, she's as I said in the "same boat" having had not much say in whether she came here or not, and is young and being in the Pac NW doesn't see the issues as much as perhaps she would if we lived elsewhere.

If things keep on the way they are going here, one day perhaps she will see the injustice of illegals being here with no repercussions when it impacts her life and that of her children directly.
We have to balance what's "right" for the kids with what's right for society in general. We have to have a bigger picture view here.

What's right for the children of illegals is for them to not be subjected to and punished by their parents' illegal activities but it is not up to us to rectify that situation especially since we did not create it. Nobody forced their parents across the border at gunpoint. They chose to come here and chose to put their children in that unenviable situation. On their heads be it.

It would not be right for our society to reward the children of some lawbreakers and not others. We have to put misguided compassion for them aside and have some compassion for the people who actually have a right to be here and whose lives and pocketbooks are being increasingly disrupted by the hordes of illegals. They are dragging us down.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:

I completely agree. Africans were captured by or sold to Europeans and brought here in horrific conditions and generation after generation were sold into slavery. I don't see how that even begins to compare with someone who jumps the border fence because they want to make more money. It's ridiculous and insulting to the memory of the millions of Africans/African-Americans who were subjected to the horrors of the slave trade and the institution of slavery.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
In cases where the child was brought here as a minor by their parents entering the country illegally, should there be a special provision to allow them to gain legal status upon becoming 18?

Given that they really had very little if any say in the matter, it would seem fair.

I'm not talking about the so called Dream Act for illegals 18-34 - more a special visa process so that these kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own can become legal residents.

I'd rather reward someone in this position than the scum that come over as illegal adults to drop babies, suck up social services, take jobs and commit crimes.

Maybe a special visa with a prohibition on so called "chain migration" rights for a certain number of years? And to stop the "Dreamies" utilising it, have a time limit to apply - maybe only be eligible to apply from 3 months before they turn 18 to 3 months after.

Special provision? Yes, they should get a cookie on their deportation flight.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
This thread was about children brought here by their illegal parents with no say, not about slavery and the history of black Americans.

I already mentioned the context in which the comment was made, and you have to realise the person that said it does not have the same context of "history" as some of you posting obviously do. She obviously doesn't have the same visceral reaction to the term "slave".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration