Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
First of all, I have gone to that hospital to visit a family member after having a triple by pass, double valve replacement heart surgery. So I have first hand knowledge about what type of hospital this is. This is a hospital known where people go who do not have insurance, it is a indigent care regional facility.

I actually have had a few older family members who were too young for medicare go who also for serious issues that they helped them with, one a leg surgery, the other, lungs and heart. All these family members living about an 1 to 2 hours away. It is where people drive hundreds of miles to get care they could not afford otherwise. I am not sure but would think they do help their local community but it is a regional facility for people who can not pay to get help. My family, when sick would drive the miles to go get help even afterwards because they were in the system.

I do not understand how they even got her in the program to be seen. They should have understood who she was before even letting her be there to use the doctors and treatments. I wasn't even aware you could be seen on an emergency basis unless you are in the system there.

So yes our tax dollars are paying for that. The care is good there, though I see that it was at our expense.
By law, a hospital is prohibited from refusing emergency treatment, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status. Illegals know this, and use our emergency rooms as their primary care physicians. In this case, the patient received treatment, and was then discharged. This would not even be newsworthy if not for the patient’s illegal status. In fact, each day citizens are discharged, some requiring additional long-term care, without any fanfare whatsoever.

A few years ago, I witnessed a stroke victim being discharged who clearly required treatment. He shared a hospital room with my father. My father having excellent insurance received every conceivable test and treatment, while the uninsured man (citizen) was discharged and “referred” to another facility. I am so sick of these illegal alien sob stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
By law, a hospital is prohibited from refusing emergency treatment, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status. Illegals know this, and use our emergency rooms as their primary care physicians. In this case, the patient received treatment, and was then discharged. This would not even be newsworthy if not for the patient’s illegal status. In fact, each day citizens are discharged, some requiring additional long-term care, without any fanfare whatsoever.

A few years ago, I witnessed a stroke victim being discharged who clearly required treatment. He shared a hospital room with my father. My father having excellent insurance received every conceivable test and treatment, while the uninsured man (citizen) was discharged and “referred” to another facility. I am so sick of these illegal alien sob stories.
Yep, I was discharged from an ER after a spontaneous pneumothorax with a chest tube still inserted with a couple of numbers to call for 'referrals' for the op I needed. The only way I could be admitted to the ER again was if I started not being able to breathe again if my lung deflated (again).

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Here's the fact of the matter taken from the article and why they can't be reprimanded for their decision.

Quote:
The Federation for American Immigration Reform says that's because it's perfectly reasonable for a state to refuse to provide health care to a non-resident unless it's an immediately life-threatening situation.

Read more: Texas Hospital Under Fire for Allegedly Discharging Surgical Patient Due to Immigration Status - FoxNews.com
And YES I agree with the hospitals decision!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Let's say this person was a legal immigrant with a green card. Did the hospital still do the right thing?

One thing I see on many occasions (and I'm not necessarily saying you yourself did this) is a failure to differentiate legal immigrants from illegal immigrants. We see it in the birthright bills that say that children of two green-card holding parents on their way to citizenship would have a child that would not be a natural born citizen. Illegal immigration is a problem, but it's very important to keep in mind that there are a huge number of legal immigrants in the United States who are not yet citizens who still deserve at least some protections.
If the person was legal then no it wasn't right.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Yep, I was discharged from an ER after a spontaneous pneumothorax with a chest tube still inserted with a couple of numbers to call for 'referrals' for the op I needed. The only way I could be admitted to the ER again was if I started not being able to breathe again if my lung deflated (again).
Tell me about it. In 2006, my brother was discharged from the hospital, and died two days later. Did you read about his death? Did anyone give a damn? Had he been an illegal alien, the ACLU, La Raza, et al. would have filed a lawsuit, and his death would have been the topic on internet forums.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
they stabilized the patient and are able to dispense charity at their own discretion.

i think they did everything within the law.
if there are complications arising from the patients discharge they might create the chance for a lawsuit. but im sure they are prepared for that.

no biggie.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This was the right decision....

~ Her life is not in immediate jeopardy.

~ She is a citizen of Mexico NOT the United States

Maybe, just maybe America is starting to take back it's own country from illegal aliens and the progressive elitist left
I agree with the first part - but not your last sentence.

I feel that I am a progressive (as opposed to a regressive). Don't paint everyone that disagrees with you on some other things as evil, just because Fox tells you to.

Progressives also want border control, etc. - we just feel that the rich R's employing them should not get off scot-free. It is called diversion - keep your eyes on the ones you have been told to hate - and you won't notice that it's a smoke screen to keep your attention away from the ones profiting.

Believe it or not, you actually have more in common with regular ol' progressive folks than you do with Fox and Friends. I would call elitiists the ones with the cash, laughing all the way to the bank, after you vote in who they told you to vote for.

Back to the question, yes, the hospital did the right thing.

Here is another progressive elitist view - we should also curb foreign aid and spend it on people here. Charity does begin at home.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I agree with the first part - but not your last sentence.

I feel that I am a progressive (as opposed to a regressive). Don't paint everyone that disagrees with you on some other things as evil, just because Fox tells you to.

Progressives also want border control, etc. - we just feel that the rich R's employing them should not get off scot-free. It is called diversion - keep your eyes on the ones you have been told to hate - and you won't notice that it's a smoke screen to keep your attention away from the ones profiting.

Believe it or not, you actually have more in common with regular ol' progressive folks than you do with Fox and Friends. I would call elitiists the ones with the cash, laughing all the way to the bank, after you vote in who they told you to vote for.

Back to the question, yes, the hospital did the right thing.

Here is another progressive elitist view - we should also curb foreign aid and spend it on people here. Charity does begin at home.
It really irritates me that so-called progressives have to insinuate that we conservatives can't think for ourselves and are like robots listening to Fox News. "The ones we are told to hate"? Perhaps we should accuse them of forming their opinions from liberal newsources or some ethnocentric organization then?

We are quite aware that the rich elite employers are a big part of the problem. We have often in here advocated for them to be caught, fined and jailed but of course the "progressives" act like we say nothing about them. They usually do this to take the focus off the illegal aliens themselves who are also guilty.

Yes, let's get back on topic about the hospital.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
You ASSume too much, I don't watch Fox or MSNBC or CNN.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It really irritates me that so-called progressives have to insinuate that we conservatives can't think for ourselves and are like robots listening to Fox News.
I again refer to the poster's last sentence. Who are those masked progressive elitists?

If the people, all of us, right-leaning and left-leaning, would band together against those who have really taken the country away from the regular peoples, the big business guys - the country would benefit. MSNBC teaches the left to hate the right - and Fox teaches the right to hate the left - and everything keeps getting worse.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 02-10-2011 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration