Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Obama wants to remove incentives for illegals to enter the country by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants. Obama has championed a proposal to create a system so employers can verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the US.

Obama believes the time to fix our broken immigration system is now. He is in favor of stronger enforcement at the border and at the workplace. He has properly identified the magnitude of the problem, and said that the undocumented population is exploding. Obama recognizes that immigration raids are ineffective, netting only 3,600 arrests in 2006. Obama's priority is to stop the current way of illegal immigration into the United States, and then deal compassionately and fairly with the illegal immigrants who are already living here. If the flood of new immigrants can be slowed considerably, Obama believes that those currently living here, over time, can be effectively absorbed into the population and the economy.

The following states cover the medically needy: California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii,
Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota,
Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West
Virginia and Wisconsin, as well as the District of Columbia.

http://www.accessproject.org/downloa...ant_Access.pdf

You can partially scratch Washington off that list.

Previously, a social security number was not required for Basic Health eligibility in Washington, but a new federal waiver providing federal matching funds subsidizing the Basic Health and Disability Lifeline programs does require the SSN or documented legal immigration status.

Amazing how a lack of huge pile of money changes things, ain't it. Bascially, No more illegal immigrants getting free health care. If you want them to have it, States, well you'll just have to pay for it yourself.

Short-term budget cuts $236 million Washington state spending - Spokesman.com - Feb. 19, 2011

I can see what he's doing. He's trying to cut them off at the teat. Only problem is ...dum dum dum.... there's still free health care.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions.

Guess that just means everyone else's health care costs goes up. Those that can afford to pay, pay for those who can not. Wow. Who thought up that plan? In 1986?

U.S. deported record number of illegal immigrants - Los Angeles Times

The Obama administration deported a record number of illegal immigrants in the 2010 fiscal year, according to figures released Wednesday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Of the 392,862 deportations from October 2009 through September of this year, about half were illegal immigrants with criminal records. The total was about 3,000 more deportations than the record set in the previous year.

The second straight year of record deportations from the U.S. reflects the approach of ICE under the Obama administration to focus its efforts on removing criminal illegal immigrants "who pose a national security or public safety threat," Homeland Security Deputy Press Secretary Matt Chandler said in a statement.
More than 195,000 criminals were deported in 2010, a 70% increase over 2008 in the forced removal of immigrant criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Obama wants to remove incentives for illegals to enter the country by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants. Obama has championed a proposal to create a system so employers can verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the US.

Obama believes the time to fix our broken immigration system is now. He is in favor of stronger enforcement at the border and at the workplace. He has properly identified the magnitude of the problem, and said that the undocumented population is exploding. Obama recognizes that immigration raids are ineffective, netting only 3,600 arrests in 2006. Obama's priority is to stop the current way of illegal immigration into the United States, and then deal compassionately and fairly with the illegal immigrants who are already living here. If the flood of new immigrants can be slowed considerably, Obama believes that those currently living here, over time, can be effectively absorbed into the population and the economy.

The following states cover the medically needy: California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii,
Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota,
Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West
Virginia and Wisconsin, as well as the District of Columbia.

http://www.accessproject.org/downloa...ant_Access.pdf

You can partially scratch Washington off that list.

Previously, a social security number was not required for Basic Health eligibility in Washington, but a new federal waiver providing federal matching funds subsidizing the Basic Health and Disability Lifeline programs does require the SSN or documented legal immigration status.

Amazing how a lack of huge pile of money changes things, ain't it. Bascially, No more illegal immigrants getting free health care. If you want them to have it, States, well you'll just have to pay for it yourself.

Short-term budget cuts $236 million Washington state spending - Spokesman.com - Feb. 19, 2011

I can see what he's doing. He's trying to cut them off at the teat. Only problem is ...dum dum dum.... there's still free health care.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions.

Guess that just means everyone else's health care costs goes up. Those that can afford to pay, pay for those who can not. Wow. Who thought up that plan? In 1986?

U.S. deported record number of illegal immigrants - Los Angeles Times

The Obama administration deported a record number of illegal immigrants in the 2010 fiscal year, according to figures released Wednesday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Of the 392,862 deportations from October 2009 through September of this year, about half were illegal immigrants with criminal records. The total was about 3,000 more deportations than the record set in the previous year.

The second straight year of record deportations from the U.S. reflects the approach of ICE under the Obama administration to focus its efforts on removing criminal illegal immigrants "who pose a national security or public safety threat," Homeland Security Deputy Press Secretary Matt Chandler said in a statement.
More than 195,000 criminals were deported in 2010, a 70% increase over 2008 in the forced removal of immigrant criminals.
While I support going after the business, Ialso support a tighter border.

What I am confused about is, Obama wants businesses to enforce immagration laws but, he sues a state for trying to do the same thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well the first thing they can do is get rid of those pansy little "fines" the employers pay.
Jail time and 6-figure fines might sway them to be a bit more prudent in checking employment apps.

$500 and a slap on the wrist is but an inconvenience to these employers.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Also..any city that declares itself a Sanctuary City gets NO FEDERAL MONEY.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

What I am confused about is, Obama wants businesses to enforce immagration laws but, he sues a state for trying to do the same thing.
He's an ass... what else can we expect of him?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

This is because Obama is not suing over the fact that Arizona wants to enforce, but rather because the law threatens the civil liberties of many legal citizens of Arizona.

My wife is a conservative, very mestiza looking Mexican-American woman. She will never go to Arizona as long as this law is on the books just out of principle. I used to get angry at those who don't get it, but I have realized that unless you look like her and are Mexican-American, it's pretty hard to understand why one would be so against this law. Or if you are married to someone that looks like her, of course.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
You know there are times that too little too late does apply, We are in no way the way we should be in handling illegals, other Countries are not lax as we are, why are we the exctption to the rule, and burden with the consequences, of a border out of control, and no one seems to truly want to do a thing about it, act like it on the ouside, actions speak louder then words.

I have family who do live in Arizona, and unless you live there and do expreince the border problems, no one can understand the scope, of the filth, disgusting trash, that these people leave behind. Breathing ground of germs and bacteria, is not good at all. Arizonan'a have a right to feel as they do, look what these people have done to their cities, to their border, and to their State.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,835,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This is because Obama is not suing over the fact that Arizona wants to enforce, but rather because the law threatens the civil liberties of many legal citizens of Arizona.

My wife is a conservative, very mestiza looking Mexican-American woman. She will never go to Arizona as long as this law is on the books just out of principle. I used to get angry at those who don't get it, but I have realized that unless you look like her and are Mexican-American, it's pretty hard to understand why one would be so against this law. Or if you are married to someone that looks like her, of course.
Do you understand SB1070?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
"deal compassionately and fairly with the illegal immigrants who are already living here. If the flood of new immigrants can be slowed considerably, Obama believes that those currently living here, over time, can be effectively absorbed into the population and the economy."

That is what I see.

I say kick them out NOW! All of them.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

How is the Arizona law threatening the civil liberties of the legal citizens of Arizona? Racial profiling is prohibited in it and even if you are stopped for a traffic violation for example just as long as you have a valid DL there is no questioning about status in this country. Sounds like your wife has bought into the pro-illegal propaganda about racial profiling or perhaps being a Mexican-American she is sympathetic to illegal Mexicans and doesn't want them caught? That is the "real" reason why the ethnocentrics are objecting to the Arizona law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration