Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So rather than culture and language that you specified before, it is now back to nationality. I try to understand someone's stance, but you are giving me a moving target. Once you decide on a position you are willing to stay with, please let me know.

The Department of Homeland Security releases yearly reports, that each cover the prior three years. Categories are very itemized, in this case showing the relationships to the sponsor, both in true numbers and by percentage. It is not separated by nationality, so I can only speak that two-thirds of all legal immigrants are in family-sponsored categories.

I do need to clarify that while two-thirds are family-sponsored, over 70% of those are specifically "Immediate Relatives" (spouse, parent, or minor child) of U.S. citizens, and without quotas (about half a million each year). The remaining 30% in family-sponsored immigration are quota categories. All the reports are at DHS | Immigration Statistics for study.

The "Diversity Lottery" is a program only in countries without high immigration to the United States (so Mexico, China, and the Philippines will never qualify). Primarily it is done to mix diversity into immigration to the United States, but is also one of the first targets for those that want to reduce or constrain immigration programs. Each year it is about 5% of the total immigrants, at around 50,000 people (there was a computer selection glitch this year, and initial picks were nullified).

And I would rather side with you, so that your goal of putting quotas on "Immediate Relatives" is realized? The "nonsense" of our family separation was that I could continue to serve in the military in the United States while my wife and stepchildren were waiting to be legally admitted. Having my family cry at the end of each visit, dragging on for 18 months was bad enough, you would like to make it worse for others in our situation.

You're fighting the wrong battle here. My family should be the example with how someone can assimilate to the United States. We apply for my wife's naturalization soon, she's been an American at heart for years, just lacking the paperwork to prove it.
It's all three for Gods sake! I already stated that. It is nationality and ethnic group.

No, my suggestion would be for an American who wants to get involved with a foreigner that they should accept the fact they may not be able to bring them here based on diversity quotas from other countries also. The American can always move to the country of their foreign spouse or relative. No one foreign group should be treated any more special than another just because of their involvement with a U.S. citizen, assimilation not-withstanding. In otherwords I am for equality, how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...No, my suggestion would be for an American who wants to get involved with a foreigner that they should accept the fact they may not be able to bring them here based on diversity quotas from other countries also. The American can always move to the country of their foreign spouse or relative. No one foreign group should be treated any more special than another just because of their involvement with a U.S. citizen, assimilation not-withstanding. In otherwords I am for equality, how about you?
I was like many Americans when I met my wife, in that I knew absolutely nothing about the immigration process. We considered me moving there, but our petitions were already in, with the requirement that I retained a U.S. address. I was also contracted in the military, and just not able to walk out of my obligations.

The system currently is applied equally to Immediate Relatives of U.S. citizens, despite any differences of national origin (there are some countries without U.S. embassies that constrain those nationalities slightly). Your plan to limit legal immigration specifically from Mexico unbalances the system based on nationality. That is the opposite of equality.

As said, you have conflicting notions with how you want to change immigration law. Don't feel bad, a majority of Americans are in the same paradox. And they understand just as little about the true process.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
I was like many Americans when I met my wife, in that I knew absolutely nothing about the immigration process. We considered me moving there, but our petitions were already in, with the requirement that I retained a U.S. address. I was also contracted in the military, and just not able to walk out of my obligations.

The system currently is applied equally to Immediate Relatives of U.S. citizens, despite any differences of national origin (there are some countries without U.S. embassies that constrain those nationalities slightly). Your plan to limit legal immigration specifically from Mexico unbalances the system based on nationality. That is the opposite of equality.

As said, you have conflicting notions with how you want to change immigration law. Don't feel bad, a majority of Americans are in the same paradox. And they understand just as little about the true process.
No, what you are advocating for is the exact opposite of equality. What national group is here by far in the largest numbers both legally and illegally? Is that what you call equality?

I don't care about the "process" except that it should go smoothly without a lot of backlog. What I care about is fairness to all potential immigrants that want to come here rather than one group taking the bigger share of the American Dream. Not only that but when you have a diverse number of immigrants they assimilate rather than colonizing. Too many from one group/nation also dilutes our own culture and demographic makeup.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-14-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Wah.
No kidding.

Just try to sneak into Mexico, take a job and see what happens.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
No, what you are advocating for is the exact opposite of equality. What national group is here by far in the largest numbers both legally and illegally? Is that what you call equality?

I don't care about the "process" except that it should go smoothly without a lot of backlog. What I care about is fairness to all potential immigrants that want to come here rather than one group taking the bigger share of the American Dream. Not only that but when you have a diverse number of immigrants they assimilate rather than colonizing. Too many from one group/nation also dilutes our own culture and demographic makeup.
Not to mention that group is the worst at assimilating.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:

Balance the system? If we are gonna do that; cut DOWN immigrants from Mexico big time and step up immigrants from Ireland, Germany, etc. cause MOST Americans people come from Europe.

And ILLEGAL aliens DONT count in cranking up the numbers.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Actually the current system is far from equal because we admit far more Mexicans than any other group. The system is already unbalanced.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
...What I care about is fairness to all potential immigrants that want to come here rather than one group taking the bigger share of the American Dream...
It's not based on desire to immigrate, but on qualifications. Most commonly, you need to be related to a U.S. citizen. You have to realize how ironic it is to me to explain a more regulated system than what some here may realize.

Other countries do not have the quantity of relationships to U.S. citizens like Mexico has. Right off, in recent years around 25% of all legal immigrants have been the spouses of U.S. citizens. Why are all these Americans marrying foreigners?

Averaging about 285,000 per year, just in legal immigration alone!...

But maybe we should get this moved to the "Legal Immigration" forum...

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If our country is so bad...why does everyone want to live here?!

How come their citizens flee those countries, illegally, just to get away and come here?!

Badmouth America as much as you want. It is your own citizens actions that speak louder than words. What are you doing to keep your citizens from leaving?

American citizens don't even want to visit your crime infested countries, we are taking our tourist dollars away.
They want to use the US as a dumping ground for their lower class, uneducated, or criminal elements. Of course they want us to allow these people in -- it absolves them of their responsibility. They want them to leave and they want us to take them.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They want to use the US as a dumping ground for their lower class, uneducated, or criminal elements. Of course they want us to allow these people in -- it absolves them of their responsibility. They want them to leave and they want us to take them.
Exactly. We get the pleasure of spending billions to support these illegals and take the burden off their home countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration