U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
 
841 posts, read 789,787 times
Reputation: 186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's the "MS-13" gang, short for "Mara Salvatrucha", and it originated in Los Angeles jails and prisons. Although it has expanded to a few places in Mexico, the original formation was from Salvadoreans to counter the influence of the Mexican Mafia while they were incarcerated in the United States.

To associate MS-13 with Mexico is not being correct...
Expanded apparently yes....because L.A. Times reported that MS13 gang originally from El Salvador, goes up through Mexico and into the U.S. where plenty are now. The L.A. mayor Tony Villar (nickname) went to Mexico and El Salvador to get help with the MS13 gang, the trip was in last year or two. Times article stated that Mexico would help with this gang for U.S. favors...with an 's'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Expanded apparently yes....because L.A. Times reported that MS13 gang originally from El Salvador, goes up through Mexico and into the U.S. where plenty are now. The L.A. mayor Tony Villar (nickname) went to Mexico and El Salvador to get help with the MS13 gang, the trip was in last year or two. Times article stated that Mexico would help with this gang for U.S. favors...with an 's'.
That is what I remember also. The MS13 gang originated in El Salvador, not the U.S. However, this gang spread into Mexico and the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
By convention of protecting "our" culture and language, do we also also curtail legal immigration from other Hispanic countries, including Spaniards? Why are we concerned with fairness to "other immigrants" if we are limiting immigration for the Immediate Relatives of U.S. citizens? I thought you wanted U.S. citizens to have priority over foreigners.

Instead you are wanting to implement the "Diversity Lottery" immigration process...
No, since it isn't Spain that has the most illegal aliens here I would say not. The Spaniard culture isn't like Mexican culture per se. The Spanish language is a common denominator but from what I understand the Spanish that the indeos speak in Mexico is a bit different. It isn't just about language and culture anyway. It is unfair that one particular country has millions more of their citizens here both legally and illegaly than any other.

Where is your proof that the only legal immigration coming from Mexico are immediate relatives of U.S. citizens? Those people are still foreingers anyway and I am against all this family reunification nonsense. I think we should still have quotas on that also.

Yes, I am all for diversified legal immigration. It will help us to retain our national identity and demographic makeup without a particular national group coming here in large numbers changing those demographics.

Too bad that Mexican-Americans and others with ties to Mexican nationals waiting to migrate here don't speak out against illegal immigration because they are only hurting themselves. Instead they defend illegal immigration from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 4,592,120 times
Reputation: 1448
I say that we direct all non-hispanic immigrants to the countries from that list. Then when they start to whine about it, we can laugh in their faces!

Mind you, this is a joke! Haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is what I remember also. The MS13 gang originated in El Salvador, not the U.S. However, this gang spread into Mexico and the U.S.
Actual origins? In the U.S. prison system. There were Salvadoreans that didn't want to affiliate with La Eme, the Mexican Mafia, so they created their own gang.

When prisoners were deported after serving their sentence, they ended up back in El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala. They might have interaction and trading with the bad elements in Mexico, but are still very identifiable as not being Mexican. Well, to many Americans, it's ALL Mexicans anyway.

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 06-14-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
True, we accept more legal Mexican immigrants than any other group.

Yet the illegals still disregard our immigration laws.
So true! and as long as our Country continues to make it easy on them, these illegals will continue to disregard and break our immigration laws. I would like to see someone at least try and attempt to get tough on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Notice however that the drug cartels, the drug traffickers bringing their highly addictive poisons over the border and into every city and town, or the bullets coming over the border aren't mentioned?

It's one way only - they can do anything at all and it's not supposed to strain relations in any way. The most vicious criminals can sneak over the border - no problem but we enforce some laws and they get all twisted into knots over it.
Go figure? how come drug cartels, the drug traffickers, can bring very addictive drugs over our bordes, in different towns across America, bullets, yes they have happened and this seems to go unmentioned.

So it is perfectly acceptable for these actions to happen, and we as Americans are suppose to be okie dokie with this.
Maybe we as Americans should be the ones, who have the sense of feeling of strain relations. We as Americans could not pull this crap in other Countries, and ya all know it! And yes many vicious criminals have sneaked their way over our borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago town
21 posts, read 28,117 times
Reputation: 23
Ask Mexico sometime about how they treat their illegal immigrants...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actual origins? In the U.S. prison system. There were Salvadoreans that didn't want to affiliate with La Eme, the Mexican Mafia, so they created their own gang.

When prisoners were deported after serving their sentence, they ended up back in El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala. They might have interaction and trading with the bad elements in Mexico, but are still very identifiable as not being Mexican. Well, to many Whites, it's ALL Mexicans.
Many whites? Why would you just mention whites? Are you saying that Asians and blacks don't sometimes confuse other Latinos with Mexicans especially since there are more Mexicans here than the above? Where is your proof of "many"? Sounds like you are on that victim mentality bandwagon for Mexicans again for the suspected reason and whites always seem to be the bad guys in your book.

I will give you one thing though. MS-13 was formed in L.A. by Salvadorians. I was misinformed before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, since it isn't Spain that has the most illegal aliens here I would say not. The Spaniard culture isn't like Mexican culture per se. The Spanish language is a common denominator but from what I understand the Spanish that the indeos speak in Mexico is a bit different. It isn't just about language and culture anyway. It is unfair that one particular country has millions more of their citizens here both legally and illegaly than any other...
So rather than culture and language that you specified before, it is now back to nationality. I try to understand someone's stance, but you are giving me a moving target. Once you decide on a position you are willing to stay with, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Where is your proof that the only legal immigration coming from Mexico are immediate relatives of U.S. citizens? Those people are still foreingers anyway and I am against all this family reunification nonsense. I think we should still have quotas on that also...
The Department of Homeland Security releases yearly reports, that each cover the prior three years. Categories are very itemized, in this case showing the relationships to the sponsor, both in true numbers and by percentage. It is not separated by nationality, so I can only speak that two-thirds of all legal immigrants are in family-sponsored categories.

I do need to clarify that while two-thirds are family-sponsored, over 70% of those are specifically "Immediate Relatives" (spouse, parent, or minor child) of U.S. citizens, and without quotas (about half a million each year). The remaining 30% in family-sponsored immigration are quota categories. All the reports are at DHS | Immigration Statistics for study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Yes, I am all for diversified legal immigration. It will help us to retain our national identity and demographic makeup without a particular national group coming here in large numbers changing those demographics...
The "Diversity Lottery" is a program only in countries without high immigration to the United States (so Mexico, China, and the Philippines will never qualify). Primarily it is done to mix diversity into immigration to the United States, but is also one of the first targets for those that want to reduce or constrain immigration programs. Each year it is about 5% of the total immigrants, at around 50,000 people (there was a computer selection glitch this year, and initial picks were nullified).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Too bad that Mexican-Americans and others with ties to Mexican nationals waiting to migrate here don't speak out against illegal immigration because they are only hurting themselves. Instead they defend illegal immigration from Mexico.
And I would rather side with you, so that your goal of putting quotas on "Immediate Relatives" is realized? The "nonsense" of our family separation was that I could continue to serve in the military in the United States while my wife and stepchildren were waiting to be legally admitted. Having my family cry at the end of each visit, dragging on for 18 months was bad enough, you would like to make it worse for others in our situation.

You're fighting the wrong battle here. My family should be the example with how someone can assimilate to the United States. We apply for my wife's naturalization soon, she's been an American at heart for years, just lacking the paperwork to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top