Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

I thnik perhps if he had been thinking he would have known most did not understand what he was saying.It really gets boring listening to a interpreter :i agree.The point is he was speaking to the officals and by now should know english. Its our offical langauge afterall.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM

951 posts, read 745,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its our offical langauge afterall.
orly?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Quote:
Funny statement when considering your spelling and grammar
Which is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yes, a citation is needed or you are completely misrepresenting his position. You said he is advocating that they come here and never learn English. .
20+ yr's in this country and refuses to speak English is proof enough.
If it's not good enough for you.......that's your problem.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 06-21-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

403 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Welcome to the thread. I'll repost something that's been repeated over and over here already. The man's been living in the U.S. 23 years and is the representative for a Texas based advocacy group. I have had the pleasure of knowing many people from all different countries who have lived in the states less than 10 years that can speak beautiful english. This was nothing more than an act of willful disrespect. He knew exactly what he was doing. There is no excuse for this ignorance. Then again, the man's advocating for people who plan to come here and NEVER learn english, so should it really surprise anyone?
You don't know what the man knew. I think William of Ockham would like to have a word with you about your asserted knowledge of this man's intentions.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
How about you learn to write in English. "Someone whose ben here.."
This isn't "Spell Check 101". comment about the topic or don't comment at all.

I see that you illegal supporters have run out of accuses for an issue
that obviously speaks for it's self.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Which is completely ironic because of the issue at hand.
fyp

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This isn't "Spell Check 101". comment about the topic or don't comment at all.

I see that you illegal supporters have run out of accuses for an issue
that obviously speaks for it's self.
Yeppers.

Im fraid youre right.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You need to read more carefully. I never said that this is what the man is advocating for. I stated a personal opinion that most of the people looking to come here have NO interest in learning english. But there is a comparison between this man and the people he is advocating for. If this man can't speak enough english after 23 years in this country (not to mention being the speaker for this advocacy group), what makes you think that the people who he is advocating for have any intention of learning english? We all know where this is headed. Why are you backing up this nonsense?
Ohhhhh its just your opinion that an entire group of people are refusing to learn your preferred language in willful defiance of some obscure American ideals, in that case... Lol, do you think saying that this is just your opinion is some sort of nuanced distinction that makes your position any less ridiculous?

The rest of your post is just an embarrassing logical fail.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
...and the man continued his testimony in Spansh and is still a legal resident of the US.
He was arguing in favor of granting more people like him the same status. He was dumb enough to make the argument in a way that argues against his case. Most Americans do not want people here who don't speak English fluently despite living here for over two decades.

I really don't understand why some people don't get why this is so irritating. Americans do not people moving here who create burdens on us or put us at a disadvantage in our own country. Most of us do not want to be taxed because someone else doesn't speak English and needs an interpreter. We also don't want a large minority of people here who aren't fluent in English. This puts people who don't speak Spanish at a disadvantage.

Why is so greatly offensive to say so? If you want to move here that is not my problem. If you decide it is my problem -- that I will have to pay more money in taxes or learn a foreign langauge to get a job -- you can go home.

He's standing up for his self interest. That's not some sort of lofty goal. I'm standing up for mine. That's not racism. To hell with anyone who dares tell us otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration