Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
No those systems are base on exploiting migrants, prices of everything will double. Take a ride down to your nearest meat packing plant or poultry plant and watch the change of shifts. Those used to be Union jobs now they are migrant jobs. Doubling the cost of all food products is a conservative estimate
Do you have any valid source for that claim?

Few illegals work in agriculture. We could be selective and just not deport the few that work in agriculture (true farming jobs, not low-rent landscapers for the lazy who can't mow their own lawns). Only about 25% of the 1 million jobs in agriculture are filled by illegals. Farmwork doesn't begin to explain what the many millions of illegals are doing here.

The H2A visa workers only need to be paid legal wages, not extremely high wages.

Also many food products are now imported. We could just import more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
No those systems are base on exploiting migrants, prices of everything will double. Take a ride down to your nearest meat packing plant or poultry plant and watch the change of shifts. Those used to be Union jobs now they are migrant jobs. Doubling the cost of all food products is a conservative estimate
based on what? take a ride down to taylor beef or cargills in Wyalusing PA.
Yo dont see a whole lot of anyone but locals. They got busted a few years back. Odd but my meat prices have not gone up.
All foods?
I dont know a single dairy farmer in my area that uses illegals.
25% ag workers are illegals. How would filling that 25% with legals double the cost?
Would legals be paid double? No I dont think so.
Conservative estimate according to who?????????

Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yo dont see a whole lot of anyone but locals. They got busted a few years back. Odd but my meat prices have not gone up.
All foods?
25% ag workers are illegals. How would filling that 25% with legals double the cost?
According to the pro-illegal propaganda. Funny, with all those illegals in construction awhile back housing prices didn't go down they just went up.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
According to the pro-illegal propaganda. Funny, with all those illegals in construction awhile back housing prices didn't go down they just went up.
Someone want to fill her in on the events of 2008?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
No hold the employers accountable for their crimes. make the penalty stiff enough so that its no longer cost effective or worth the risk to break the law.
Employers are the host in your analogy? Then US citizens must be the parasite, then, right? Because it can't be the immigrants; the employers are WILLINGLY hiring them.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Who said anything about destroying the USA? We need to secure our borders and I mean really secure our borders. Is that destructive or beneficial to our country? Name one thing that would fight illegal immigrations that would also destroy America.
Deporting all the illegals currently in the US would absolutely devastate the economy.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Deporting all the illegals currently in the US would absolutely devastate the economy.
You have repeatedly said that you don't care about Americans. Why would you care if this happens?

Since we're all a bunch of monolingual, lazy nationalists why do you care if our economy goes south? Wouldn't that be a just punishment for the average racist American?

It won't of course. Low skilled, non-English speaking high school drop outs are a huge burden on the economy. If they were productive citizens Latin American governments would demand they come home instead of shipping them here for us to deal with.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I dont buy that. Many AMERICANS cant find jobs cause greedy employers love there illegal aliens.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I dont buy that. Many AMERICANS cant find jobs cause greedy employers love there illegal aliens.
And yet, when they ran all the illegals out of georgia, no Real Americans showed up to take the jobs.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM

403 posts, read 334,052 times
Quote:
All foods?
I agree that Boompa's estimates are unrealistic. However, a very real possibility if labor costs increase (it should be noted that this can happen by other means than a direct wage increase. If replacement labor is less productive, for instance, employers will have to higher more employees or make other adjustments that will be costly) to a certain point it could very easily create a situation where many producers will no longer be able to compete against imports causing them to go out of business. The important thing to realize is that when these businesses close down, it's entire communities that are affected. There are whole support industries that employ skilled Americans that are completely built around agriculture, from welders and machinists to equipment dealers, parts stores, and chemical dealers. None of this is set in stone, but modern agricultural producers operate on very thin margins as it is. It's just something you should consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration