Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
It certainly is, yet it can be continuously renewed yearly, and one can change status while here. The other way is to apply for a work visa, and change status once here.

Based on the hypo - I must be able to support myself here (US law) therefor I can't simply choose to just come here and have no means to support myself. The work visas seem the logical choice with the TN being the most logical as I have only competition from others from Mexico (5500 cap). Also, the TN only requires that I file a Labor Condition Application with the Department of Labor and a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
But a TN visa is still limited to specific professions, none that are represented in the OP's scenario. "Coming here" implies IV level. Unless there is a relationship to a U.S. citizen, there aren't many other ways:

Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 PM

313 posts, read 329,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
More Anchor babies and another person working the underground economy leeching off the system that's what.

That's been proven countless times.
If one is here legally then there is no such anchor baby concept.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But a TN visa is still limited to specific professions, none that are represented in the OP's scenario. "Coming here" implies IV level. Unless there is a relationship to a U.S. citizen, there aren't many other ways:
And yet as a nation we allow for and grant more Visa's for immigration than all other countries. I would say that we really dont owe a VISA to any applicant. They are the ones seeking entry and they should have to prove why they are worthy of the gift.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And yet as a nation we allow for and grant more Visa's for immigration than all other countries. I would say that we really dont owe a VISA to any applicant. They are the ones seeking entry and they should have to prove why they are worthy of the gift.
Really, your wife or mine has to say something more that they are married to us?...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
That's just it, the OP only says he has been working at a restaurant, doesn't say how long, doesn't really give any info other than that the person is oneself. Based on my HS diploma and field of work, even though right now I could be working at McDonald's, I could apply for and obtain a TN or even try to get an H1B, H2A, etc.

The point of which you and the OP are attempting to get at is the simple fact that there is no immigrant visa to come here for anybody in the world unless they are family or job related (for the most part - DV exception and E2 Investor). You can thank T Kennedy for that from the 1960's.

I think we should scrap family visas all together, limit it to wife or child only and turn the other visas into visas anybody can attain which meet certain requirements, which could be age classifications, education levels, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:15 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
I doubt it. There is simply no category under which such a person can apply.

I thought diversity but IBMuseum says that is barred to Mexicans. So I see no path.
Looking at diversity: the quote for Mexicans should be zero for a period of time since we already have so many here and I am talking about legal aliens only.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
That's just it, the OP only says he has been working at a restaurant, doesn't say how long, doesn't really give any info other than that the person is oneself. Based on my HS diploma and field of work, even though right now I could be working at McDonald's, I could apply for and obtain a TN or even try to get an H1B, H2A, etc.

The point of which you and the OP are attempting to get at is the simple fact that there is no immigrant visa to come here for anybody in the world unless they are family or job related (for the most part - DV exception and E2 Investor). You can thank T Kennedy for that from the 1960's.

I think we should scrap family visas all together, limit it to wife or child only and turn the other visas into visas anybody can attain which meet certain requirements, which could be age classifications, education levels, etc.
I agree for the most part with your last sentence but I think that diversity should be taken into account also.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 AM

387 posts, read 591,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
So say you are a Mexican with a high school education. You visited the U.S. a couple of times to visit friends and you've fallen in love with America, the freedom, its culture, the great people, and you want to immigrate. But you've heard of all these illegals in the news giving Mexicans a bad name. You've never broken a single law in your life and you want to go to the U.S. legally. You've never missed a day of work at the restaurant you work at, and would never consider living off the government's dime because it's against your conscience. You have no family in the U.S. but do have some friends who can vouch for you. Where should you go to wait in line? Is there a fee, a couple forms, and a test you can take to get his application going? What should you do?

Moderators: Please don't move this to the Legal Immigration forum, I want to see what those who are active in the Illegal Immigration forum think about this hypothetical situation.
Unless you are highly educated with few years of experience or very rich and can invest $1 million in US or have very close family or are very famous like a movie star or producer or noble winning scientist there is no line

Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM

387 posts, read 591,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
I doubt it. There is simply no category under which such a person can apply.

I thought diversity but IBMuseum says that is barred to Mexicans. So I see no path.
The only option left to have $1 million to invest in US or find a poor American
to get married for money LOL

Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Looking at diversity: the quote for Mexicans should be zero for a period of time since we already have so many here and I am talking about legal aliens only.
Most of the two-thirds legally immigrating each year are not under any quotas (spouses, minor children, and parents of U.S. citizens), but you would delay/exclude those doing it the correct way? Even doctors or nurses (one-fourth of doctors in the United States are foreign-born, and one-third of the nurses)? My legally immigrating Mexican wife and stepchildren thank you that others like them, even in instances that they are related to U.S. servicemembers (like I was), would not be allowed to come here because you are inconvenienced to think there is too many Mexicans already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration