Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM

14 posts, read 8,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
The information on all IRS tax forms is NEVER general and ALWAYS specific. The IRS does not have a form stating:

"that everyone in the household must each have valid Social Security numbers"

What the form does state is that everyone filing a tax return must have either a valid ITIN or Social Security number. Please refrain from twisting the truth due to your lack of knowledge or for your convenience.

:
The IRS states...

Any qualifying child listed on the Schedule EIC must also have a valid SSN unless the child was born and died during the year. [BOLD] You cannot use Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ATINs) to claim EITC.[/BOLD] After the adoption is final and the child has a valid SSN, you may be able to file an amended return. For more information on amended returns

So that does not mean what it says?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
The information on all IRS tax forms is NEVER general and ALWAYS specific. The IRS does not have a form stating:

"that everyone in the household must each have valid Social Security numbers"

What the form does state is that everyone filing a tax return must have either a valid ITIN or Social Security number. Please refrain from twisting the truth due to your lack of knowledge or for your convenience...
Specific to the EITC, the IRS does say that everyone on the return must have a valid Social Security number in order to claim the credit...

IRS Publication 4716:

"IF you plan to use a preparer to help you file a return and claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, you should bring certain documents to prove your income, deductions/credits, dependents, etc. These documents include:
• Valid driver's license or photo identification (self & spouse, if applicable)
• Social Security cards for all persons listed on the return..."

Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by succinct2 View Post
The IRS states...

Any qualifying child listed on the Schedule EIC must also have a valid SSN unless the child was born and died during the year. [BOLD] You cannot use Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ATINs) to claim EITC.[/BOLD] After the adoption is final and the child has a valid SSN, you may be able to file an amended return. For more information on amended returns

So that does not mean what it says?
Some of my former illegal neighbors were getting a nice EITC check. All four of their children had birth certificates with a green card holder names as the father.

I had heard about this but first was puzzled why - because the mother would have gotten every kind of food stamp, WIC, housing subsidy and so on without either parent being here illegally.

Later I found out that they did this to get at the EITC money. The green card holder was disabled and had very low income, and no kids in the USA. By getting on the birth certificates, he could make out like a bandit with EITC and the two illegals that were parents (not married) and the green card holder would split their annual jackpot EITC winnings.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I just thought you would have some insight on the specificity of your claim...

For EITC it takes Social Security numbers for everyone in the household, if determined to be fraudulent, how is it linked to illegal aliens exclusively from Mexico?...

Google gives me nothing better than Rubenstein, whom I know is wrong, and no official data...
For the sake of you and succinct, the above is what YOu stated and that I disputed as incorrect. You can stop beating the horse it died several pages ago.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...Later I found out that they did this to get at the EITC money. The green card holder was disabled and had very low income...
And of course with "very low income", and being "disabled", he wouldn't be able to get much "Earned Income Tax Credit"...

Or is this yet another item that doesn't have to make logical sense in order to be true?...

Why am I being told I don't understand tax information?...

Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
And of course with "very low income", and being "disabled", he wouldn't be able to get much "Earned Income Tax Credit"...

Or is this yet another item that doesn't have to make logical sense in order to be true?...

Why am I being told I don't understand tax information?...
Because, you clearly do not. Actually, "earned" is a misnomer, in that it is not a tax credit based on what a filer earns; rather, what he/she does NOT earn. This is why high wage earners don't qualify.

Quote:
You may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, or EITC, if you worked last year, but did not earn a lot of money.

EITC is a refundable tax credit meaning you could qualify for a tax refund even if you did not have federal income tax withheld.
Tax Topics - Topic 601 Earned Income Credit

Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
For the sake of you and succinct, the above is what YOu stated and that I disputed as incorrect. You can stop beating the horse it died several pages ago.
Yes, there's a huge difference between a requirement for the "entire household" to have a SSN, and a requirement for all "filers" to have a SSN.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, there's a huge difference between a requirement for the "entire household" to have a SSN, and a requirement for all "filers" to have a SSN.
Exactly. Yet he and his alter ego continued to twist, turn and divert the topic into my knowlege of and employment with the IRS. Quite the stretch isn't it?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Because, you clearly do not. Actually, "earned" is a misnomer, in that it is not a tax credit based on what a filer earns; rather, what he/she does NOT earn. This is why high wage earners don't qualify...
But it is based on income, and until the last few years, was capped at two children. I don't know how much of a "jackpot" that is when all of the factors are calculated. But if YOu're going to believe it doesn't also take valid Social Security numbers to qualify for EITC, that is all on YOu.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
But it is based on income, and until the last few years, was capped at two children. I don't know how much of a "jackpot" that is when all of the factors are calculated. But if YOu're going to believe it doesn't also take valid Social Security numbers to qualify for EITC, that is all on YOu.
I don't know about you, but I consider illegals receiving BILLIONS of dollars from the federal withholdings of U.S. taxpayers to be quite significant, whether it's paid through EITC or ACTC. I have already explained the "income" criteria for EITC eligibility, or more appropriately, lack thereof. So, what's your point? I'm not sure why you emphasized two children as if to imply the credit for two children is hardly worth claiming. But, let's just nip this in the bud. . . .

As indicated below, even 10 years ago, for two children, the credit was over $4,000. I think most low income people would indeed consider that a "jackpot."

Quote:
Income/Credit Limits for 2002 Tax Year

Income and family size (qualifying children) determine the amount of the EITC. Each year, the limits on income and credit amount changes with the cost of living. The credit begins to phase out at certain income levels. An Earned Income Credit Table, which shows the credit amounts, is in the instruction booklet for Form 1040 and in Publication 596, Earned Income Credit. The maximum amounts are:

Qualifying child Maximum credit
Two or more children $4,140
One child $2,506
No children $376
Note, you may qualify without even having a child.

Fast forward to 2011. . .

Quote:
Tax Year 2011 maximum credit:

$5,751 with three or more qualifying children
$5,112 with two qualifying children
$3,094 with one qualifying child
$464 with no qualifying children
Oooooh. . . . an even bigger jackpot. Why on earth would illegals be interested in that?

Perhaps you missed the fact that they may qualify even if they had NO federal withholdings. Talk about getting something for nothing.

BTW, when did I even remotely indicate a valid SSN is not required to claim the EITC? Please quote me.

IRS Reminds Taxpayers Of Earned Income Tax Credit Eligibility (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106331,00.html - broken link)

EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration