Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Hey, if it suits people to ignore the Spanish presence here before the 1700s, who am I to argue? Who needs the inconvenient facts that NOLA and Santa Fe and Boca Raton and Los Angeles were once populated by the Spanish?
Psssst. There was a Roman presence in what is now Israel before it became Israel like 2000 years ago. Should Italians have the right to you know send about 7 million people there to live?
Louisiana Purchase. Do the French have a right to lay claim?
Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are so many people who would like to come here and who have a real desire to become part of the American people, and who have enough intellectual curiousity to want to learn English, it's just strange to me that those who never want to and cannot adapt are being given preference over the others.
They are the people who want to be part of America. Those who try want to succeed and live as much of the American Dream that they can. They want to have better lives and many go on to earn degrees from US universities.

I can tell you that my husband's English language skills were fair when he left Egypt and came to America (24 years ago). He would watch TV - news, documentaries, read magazines and newspapers and highlight new words and would ask me or refer to a dictionary, to learn the English language because he knew without the ability to speak, comprehend, read and write English fluently he would never achieve very much. He knew more about basketball that I did. And he knew more about what was going on in government and politicians that I ever did. He paid for and went to university and earned his degree (while working) (he was already degreed from his birth country).

Because of his determination he has realized his dream, and more. He was a waiter when I met him and today he is a vice president of an US international company, and getting ready to elevate to another level at another international company.

I couldn't be more proud of him.

It's not to say that this could be every immigrants success, but making the effort to achieve more has it's rewards.

ETA: Forgot to mention - he was never an illegal!!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, but I did enjoy some delicious potatoes au gratin. Have you ever visited a place for the first time, but it felt like déjà vu?

I'm a petite brunette divorcee who loves to dine out. I think I'll go to my favorite restaurant because the cuisine is fabulous, and the maître d' always gives me carte blanche treatment. I'm not extremely hunger, because I had a few hors d’ oeuvres while attending a friends' soirée. So, I'll probably just do a la carte, and of course, I must have my favorite apple pie al a mode. So, I'll tell myself, bon appétit!

My friend's house is in a quiet cul-de-sac, and when I visit I usually relax on a chaise lounge on her deck, burn some potpourri, and enjoy a variety of musical genres. She's really into art deco and usually asks me to critique her new interior arrangements. She's a stunning blonde with a certain je ne sais quoi. She's leaving on a cruise next week for a rendezvous’ with her new lover. So, I told her bon voyage!

My niece will be attending a debutante ball this weekend. Her gown is so chic. She was going to wear faux jewelry, but I told her that is so passé. I'll let her borrow my diamonds.

Well, I'm en route to the Mardi Gras and hope to catch a matinee while there. Naturally, the nuts will be there en masse but that's part of the fun. No matter how often I go, I can't leave without buying a few souvenirs.

We have also incorporated numerous French words, of which I have demonstrated only a few. But, you don't see French immigrants demanding we speak French, or make French our second language, do you? Is this enough, our do you want an encore?
You win a million internets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration