Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times

Advertisements

I'm from Chicago, and no one here gives a damn about illegal immigration. It's been a shock to me to read online that so many people are afraid of illegal immigration, and even reverse their general philosophy of libertarianism and governmental nonintervention when it comes to illegal immigrants.

I'm sure that they leech off of the government, but there are so many people leeching off of the government that I am positive that they are a small minority doing so. They commit crimes and require government services, but once again, so do many people who are perfectly legal citizens. I somehow doubt in the face of soaring medical costs and bailouts and unnecessary corporate tax breaks that taking care of illegal immigrants is but a small fraction of the money that the government wastes every year. So why do people care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM

120 posts, read 311,700 times
Good question. However, which immigrants are considered to be illegal? I was assured once by an illegal immigrant (meaning he had never applied for immigration status) that when he worked locally he "paid his taxes." Does that mean he had a social security number? If so, who is patrolling that activity? In this gentleman's case, his ex-wife had filed an action against him demanding alimony. He was still in the dark, but she had learned the ropes it seems.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm from Chicago, and no one here gives a damn about illegal immigration. It's been a shock to me to read online that so many people are afraid of illegal immigration, and even reverse their general philosophy of libertarianism and governmental nonintervention when it comes to illegal immigrants.

I'm sure that they leech off of the government, but there are so many people leeching off of the government that I am positive that they are a small minority doing so. They commit crimes and require government services, but once again, so do many people who are perfectly legal citizens. I somehow doubt in the face of soaring medical costs and bailouts and unnecessary corporate tax breaks that taking care of illegal immigrants is but a small fraction of the money that the government wastes every year. So why do people care?
The very massive amount of it is one reason so many care. It's not as though there are only one or two illegals here and there, there are millions and most of them do leech off the government as these are the people who cannot make it in their very low-cost-of-living country, they certainly aren't having larger than average size families and paying their medical care and other costs. They cannot afford the high cost of living here, virtually none pay their hospital bills or have health insurance, and virtually none decline the food stamps, WIC, and Section 8 housing after giving birth.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,859 times
Quote:

Move to one of the states that border Mexico and you will learn very quickly why we are sick of illegals.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:

#1 they broke our laws
#2 they don't belong here

Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Fear? What does fear have to do with it? Millions of Americans are out of work and most of these illegals are working jobs that Americans need. The only argument we really need is that they are here in violation of our immigration laws. Lawbreakers should not allowed to run amok in our country whether they be foreigners or citizens.

Since some American citizens are already a tax burden on our country we certainly don't need to add illegal foreingers to that burden.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Did you mean to say: "We've got so many Americans abusing the system, what's a measly 11 million more?"

Really?

Why don't we just annex Central America at this point? Would be easier.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

Because illegal aliens are invaders and our gov't don't have the balls to kick them out. Because they're illegal; those people commit lots of other crimes to just survive in the US. Before saying amnesty is the right thing: that would be an insult at best against the people who came here legal and had to wait to become American.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word ILLEGAL .... then we can have a talk

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Most are ignorant about the situation until it affects them personally. Finding a good school for your kids in a border town is really frustrating as their are so many ESL kids. The kids who have parents here illegally just don't assimilate well and it is evident in how long it takes these kids to learn English. It's a drain on the entire area as it is chain illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration