Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,996 times

Advertisements

This was a great decision for the most part. If you read it carefully, it fully establishes that the Federal government is the SUPREME government and states must be submissive. Hopefully this will finally shut up the "states rights" fools. Now that the Republicans have failed to harrass the poor immigrants out of the country, we can get about the REAL job of fixing the immigration in this country including a limited amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The authors of the 4th amendment would disagree. Thanks a lot Constitution.
Search & Seizure? Asking questions and verifying through the FED Gov't database is not an illegal search nor seizure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The Constitution means nothing to these people.
You must first understand what the Constitution says. And then you need to know the SCOTUS rulings on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Well, i guess this is the beginning of going back to the 1950's and 60's. Racial profiling as always been going on, but now they are starting to make it legal.
Nothing about this is racial profiling. What do you think happens when an LEO asks for your DL and goes back to his car? He runs your ID and checks for previous violations and outstanding warrants, nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
This was a great decision for the most part. If you read it carefully, it fully establishes that the Federal government is the SUPREME government and states must be submissive. Hopefully this will finally shut up the "states rights" fools. Now that the Republicans have failed to harrass the poor immigrants out of the country, we can get about the REAL job of fixing the immigration in this country including a limited amnesty.
What this merely states is that the Feds already have laws in regards to much of this, and that States can not add penalties above and beyond.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 06-25-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Sorry, but I don't think wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced is being a hardliner especially putting over 1 million of illegal foreigners into our workforce with work permits with millions of Americans out of work.

There were 4 provisions in this law. Two that were shot down were irrelevant IMO. There was one victory for the pro-illegal side and one for the anti-illegal side. See my post above for the details. I would still like to hear how the SC could justify their decision on allowing illegal aliens to work or seek work in our country when it is against the law already. Were our immigration laws null and void then from the get-go? If so, why didn't the SC challenge them in the first place? Something is definately amiss here.

Your opinion is irrelevant in this case! 4 provisions, 3 struck down. The provision that was upheld is being done in most jails anyway. I don't see how you can spin that as being some sort of victory for Jan brewer.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Your opinion is irrelevant in this case! 4 provisions, 3 struck down. The provision that was upheld is being done in most jails anyway. I don't see how you can spin that as being some sort of victory for Jan brewer.
It can now also be done in the field by an officer at a traffic stop.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
At least the law enforcement officers do not have their hands completely tied and can ask for papers if a crime or other incidents have occured. What we do have is a President who refuses to enforce the federal laws on the books and that is the scary thing.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Patriot Act effectively nullified the 4th Amendment and Obama signed it into permanent law.
Patriot act was introduced during the Bush administration and it sounds like you support it.

I was against the Patriot Act during the Bush administration and I'm against it during the Obama administration. I guess it's because I love the Constitution

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Patriot act was introduced during the Bush administration and it sounds like you support it.

I was against the Patriot Act during the Bush administration and I'm against it during the Obama administration. I guess it's because I love the Constitution
What part(s) exactly? Title 4 or 7 or 10, or all?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
It can now also be done in the field by an officer at a traffic stop.
Loitering, tail light out, failure to yield. This is the green light LE has been waiting for.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
At least the law enforcement officers do not have their hands completely tied and can ask for papers if a crime or other incidents have occured. What we do have is a President who refuses to enforce the federal laws on the books and that is the scary thing.

So you say...........This from the Washington Post, not exactly a liberal rag.

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office.

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
This victory is about LE during lawful contact (traffic stops for example) being able to inquire about status in this country if someone can't provide a valid ID. This would be prior to being jailed. Why do you think that the pro-illegal side was having such a hissy fit about sb1070 if you think this ruling was no big deal then and was being done already of which it wasnt? You know, all those cries of racial profiling, etc.?

Ah, and it is amazing what you find out about what the actual decisions made by the SC actually means when you read the wording of the actual law and their decisons on it.

The only part I had disagreed with on the SC was the decison to not make it a "criminal" offense for illegal aliens to work or seek work in this country. I still do disagree with that decision but I had thought initially that it meant that illegal aliens were completely exempt from the law by doing that. Not so! There already is a law on the books that it is a "civil" offense. That just hadn't changed with this new decision by the SC. That was a small victory for the pro-illegals. Two of the other parts of 1070 were shot down but I considered them irrelevant anyway.

However, AZ and the anti-illegal side had a huge victory by the part of the law that was upheld for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration