Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 PM

447 posts, read 798,012 times

Advertisements

if the majority of the illegals here are coming here with the intention of becoming american, then i say maybe we should consider this as an answer.
if they are willing to renounce their citizenship to their home country, enlist and serve their country as need be , and stay out of trouble, then i say let them become citizens.

maybe this will prove their intentions....

i'm sure there are many who would disagree with me, just think, 20+ million illegals armed .....what a concept.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,328 times
Mexican/South American culture is very hard headed IMO.. its hard for them to adapt to change. But in due time, the children of the illegals and as more generations of Hispanics continue to grow they will adopt main stream American lifestyles.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
if the majority of the illegals here are coming here with the intention of becoming american, then i say maybe we should consider this as an answer.
if they are willing to renounce their citizenship to their home country, enlist and serve their country as need be , and stay out of trouble, then i say let them become citizens.

maybe this will prove their intentions....

i'm sure there are many who would disagree with me, just think, 20+ million illegals armed .....what a concept.
Oh don't worry. There's 60 million American gun owners.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:16 PM

And there are millions of Hispanic gang members with AK-47's and other Automatic assault rifles.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
And there are millions of Hispanic gang members with AK-47's and other Automatic assault rifles.
Yeh.....but they can't hit what they aim for......

Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
So they aren't all here to do the jobs Americans won't do?

Bring it on, baby!

PS You say this like it is something to be proud of.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
We are at a huge turning-point in history. I don't think it's obvious now, but in retrospect, in 200 years or so, it will be. The huge explosion of illegals is happening at the same time that the American middle class is suffering greatly from corporate downsizing and the off-shoring of jobs. MORE people are showing up to claim FEWER jobs.
And, just now, at the worst possible time, America itself is losing its own culture, in a misguided love-affair with "multiculturalism". The result is now, at a time when huge numbers of immigrants are arriving, we as Americans are giving them the message that "it's not important that you assimilate, or learn English. We can easily accomodate many languages and cultures. After all, all cultures are equal"

It's little wonder that the new immigrants find this message confusing, to say the least. We wonder why they don't "rush" to embrace our language and adapt to our culture, But from their point of view, why should they take our culture seriously when we ourselves obviously don't?

Most countries don't worry about accomodating new arrivals. We didn't, either, a few decades ago. If you get here, you either sink or swim--nobody's going to "baby" you. That's the message in most of the world's countries toward immigrants.

But those days are over, here in the US, and the new immigrants know it. It's pretty simple to figure out--people aren't going to go to great effort to do anything they're not forced to do. Changing languages and cultures takes a lot of effort, particularly for working adults. And now, in our new society, we no longer insist on assimilation. If some people want to, they will--but if not, that's OK by us. Pretty easy to see why there's no huge rush to "become American"....

Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
So they aren't all here to do the jobs Americans won't do?

Bring it on, baby!

PS You say this like it is something to be proud of.

Umm.. Why would anyone be proud of this? And for the record most Hispanic Gang members are Legal citizens, not all. Most of the Gang members are children of honest hard working Illegal immigrants. The oh-so-popular Gang culture attracts Hispanic youth. The problem is that the Illegals move into bad neighborhoods which are breeding grounds for Gang Members.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
We are at a huge turning-point in history. I don't think it's obvious now, but in retrospect, in 200 years or so, it will be. The huge explosion of illegals is happening at the same time that the American middle class is suffering greatly from corporate downsizing and the off-shoring of jobs. MORE people are showing up to claim FEWER jobs.
And, just now, at the worst possible time, America itself is losing its own culture, in a misguided love-affair with "multiculturalism". The result is now, at a time when huge numbers of immigrants are arriving, we as Americans are giving them the message that "it's not important that you assimilate, or learn English. We can easily accomodate many languages and cultures. After all, all cultures are equal"

It's little wonder that the new immigrants find this message confusing, to say the least. We wonder why they don't "rush" to embrace our language and adapt to our culture, But from their point of view, why should they take our culture seriously when we ourselves obviously don't?

Most countries don't worry about accomodating new arrivals. We didn't, either, a few decades ago. If you get here, you either sink or swim--nobody's going to "baby" you. That's the message in most of the world's countries toward immigrants.

But those days are over, here in the US, and the new immigrants know it. It's pretty simple to figure out--people aren't going to go to great effort to do anything they're not forced to do. Changing languages and cultures takes a lot of effort, particularly for working adults. And now, in our new society, we no longer insist on assimilation. If some people want to, they will--but if not, that's OK by us. Pretty easy to see why there's no huge rush to "become American"....
We had similar tipping points ca. 1920 when the borders were essentially sealed.

That stated: the time is nigh to do so again.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,375 times
I heard on the news one night that of all the immigrants that come to America, Mexicans are the least likely to give up their Mexican citizenship. I will see if I can find a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration