Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,907,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticgrit View Post
The powers that be do not want a secure border. A steady supply of cheap labor knocks the bottom out of pay rate for all hourly employees. With no bottom on the pay scale, the industrial barons can pay every employee less.

I grew up in the south during the 50's and 60's. The blacks were the bottom of the labor pool and because of this everyone all the way up the labor pyramid was paid less. When Civil Rights forced the industry bosses to pay the blacks at the same rate as the whites the labor bosses had to find another way to knock the bottom out of the pay scale.

I was an intelligence officer in the Army in the early 80's and the platoon leader of a Ground Surveillance Radar platoon. This is old technology from the Korean war that shoot radar across the ground for miles and miles and will detect anything that moves. We could easily cover the flat terrain of the desert southwest and catch anyone entering the US.

We now have much more advance technology that can seal the border but we don't use it for that because the powers that be want the illegals to come into this country to keep wages low.
I don't disagree with your "cheap labor" theory as I believe that is the reason we don't go after the employers. We could almost just 100% concentrate on the drug smuggling along the border if we did that.
However, the radar suggestion was tried but proven ineffective due to not being able to tell the difference between coyotes, deer, turkey, etc. and humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I don't disagree with your "cheap labor" theory as I believe that is the reason we don't go after the employers. We could almost just 100% concentrate on the drug smuggling along the border if we did that.
However, the radar suggestion was tried but proven ineffective due to not being able to tell the difference between coyotes, deer, turkey, etc. and humans.
What about surveillance cameras? Powered by solar and satellite?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM

62,980 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
That is why I am for mandating e-verify to be used by all employers. Currently it is hard to prove that an employer has "knowingly" hired illegal immigrants with all the fake and stolen ID's that they use.

I still think that part of the solution should be the double layered fence along the most porous parts of our southern border. It helps the Border Patrol and they could concentrate more on the areas where fencing isn't feasible. Along with that remove the incentives for them to come here such as jobs (e-verify), benefits and birthright citizenship. Of course the liberals in congress would never go along with such sane enforcement ideas. Can't lose that ethnocentric voting bloc or not pander to those who hire them to increase their profits now can we?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
if the border was secure we would not be discussing a 3rd amnesty.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
The short answer is NO it is not secure and NO it is not going to be. The crook politicians and illegal alien lovers like to talk about it as if they are going to solve it so they can carry on with their agendas..Its just smoke and mirrors for them to get their wishes...We are suppose to believe what they say according to them.... I think NOT. We can not secure our borders in a physical manner. We can however impose laws that will make illegals afraid to cross our borders....very afraid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration