Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What does that matter? There are still more coming everyday.
Over 90% of illegal aliens entered the U.S. before 2005. It's a different world from 1986 (or even 2006), and much more difficult to EWI now. Realistically, non-immigrant (which includes the Visa Waiver Program and Border Crossing Cards) audits need to be tightened, so there is a reliable mechanism to determine when that person exits the country. But otherwise a comparison between our current time and 1986 is not a valid point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Over 90% of illegal aliens entered the U.S. before 2005. It's a different world from 1986 (or even 2006), and much more difficult to EWI now. Realistically, non-immigrant (which includes the Visa Waiver Program and Border Crossing Cards) audits need to be tightened, so there is a reliable mechanism to determine when that person exits the country. But otherwise a comparison between our current time and 1986 is not a valid point.
Link, please. Comparing 1986 to today is a valid point. We have at least 4 times the illegal immigrants today as we had back then and our economy and job situtations were a lot better back then. Our populaton was much less also. In order to assure this time around if we are to have another stupid amnesty is that incentives should be removed to come here along with enforcement at the border an internally. If either party leaves the former out of the agreement then it will just be history repeating itself only in much larger numbers next time.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Link, please. Comparing 1986 to today is a valid point. We have at least 4 times the illegal immigrants today as we had back then and our economy and job situtations were a lot better back then. Our populaton was much less also. In order to assure this time around if we are to have another stupid amnesty is that incentives should be removed to come here along with enforcement at the border an internally. If either party leaves the former out of the agreement then it will just be history repeating itself only in much larger numbers next time.

I feel like you. I don't give a damn about the point of entrance, if they come here illegally, they don't belong here, or excuse me! should not be here, but are used for pawns in a game for politicial purpose.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
I'm with Oldglory. I'd like to see your source. And, how on earth is it now more difficult to EWI if drugs are still entering with ease? As I've said before, when we start having a serious illegal drug shortage, I'll believe our borders are somewhat secure.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm with Oldglory. I'd like to see your source. And, how on earth is it now more difficult to EWI if drugs are still entering with ease? As I've said before, when we start having a serious illegal drug shortage, I'll believe our borders are somewhat secure.
I'm quoting from the latest available (2011) DHS report, revised from the 2010 data I saw before (which placed the number at 91%). Thus a correction:

Quote:
[Illegal alien] Entrants since 2005 accounted for only 14 percent of the total [so 86% entered before 2005].

As said, the 2010 information has been updated by the 2010 Federal Census, and attributes about 800,000 more illegal aliens than when the 2010 report used only the 2000 Federal Census.

Of course a request for a source can always have a reciprocal:

Quote:
What does that matter? There are still more coming everyday.
Also source where we have "4 times the illegal immigrants today", and that the "economy and jobs situations were a lot better back then" (Mexico had an epic recession in the very early 80's, and devalued the peso three times in 1982, driving more migrants to the U.S. immediately before 1986)...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We have enough immigration laws already. There is no need for any new ones. That includes Nightmare Act the president did. What this nation needs is to have the laws on the books already to be enforced.

What use is there to make any more laws when you can't enforce the laws you have already. This government's lack of law enforcement is a joke.

And the idea that families are being separated just breaks my heart. My family is being threatened by the lack of law enforcement. If you do something to separate your family; don't blame it on America. That you did things to cause your family to be separated is your personal problem. Take care of it yourself.

Close the border. Give a month for all undocumented to leave and after that start the roundup. The choice should be deportation or prison.

Last edited by NCN; 02-04-2013 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

Yes, why pay a smuggler $600 or more when for $149, the illegals can just buy a border crossing card and absolutely nothing is done if they stay beyond the terms. Now they're being encouraged to come on over and wait for their easy citizenship.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/19.pdf

But, given that the traffic is so enormous—as noted above, an estimated 148 million entries in 2004—if even a minuscule share of these individuals overstayed, they would contribute significantly to the unauthorized population.

Cardholders can easily overstay their visits since, unlike with I-94 forms, there is no attempt to check on whether the border crossers leave. Moreover, border crossing cards have been used fraudulently by others to cross because the biometric identifiers are not checked for all border crossers or at all ports of entry.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
I'm quoting from the latest available (2011) DHS report, revised from the 2010 data I saw before (which placed the number at 91%). Thus a correction:

As said, the 2010 information has been updated by the 2010 Federal Census, and attributes about 800,000 more illegal aliens than when the 2010 report used only the 2000 Federal Census.

Of course a request for a source can always have a reciprocal:

Also source where we have "4 times the illegal immigrants today", and that the "economy and jobs situations were a lot better back then" (Mexico had an epic recession in the very early 80's, and devalued the peso three times in 1982, driving more migrants to the U.S. immediately before 1986)...
No offense intended, but I have to take DHS "data" with a huge grain of salt. It is not uncommon for them to "manufacture" data for reports, if you catch my drift. I realize you are only posting what's available. Unfortunately, most of the available data from DHS isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Given that Census does not collect or maintain data on illegal aliens, how on earth can they even presume to know the number of illegal aliens entering, leaving, or currently residing in this country? Their guess is as good as mine, which of course, would have no verifiable basis whatsoever.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, why pay a smuggler $600 or more when for $149, the illegals can just buy a border crossing card and absolutely nothing is done if they stay beyond the terms. Now they're being encouraged to come on over and wait for their easy citizenship.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/19.pdf

But, given that the traffic is so enormous—as noted above, an estimated 148 million entries in 2004—if even a minuscule share of these individuals overstayed, they would contribute significantly to the unauthorized population.

Cardholders can easily overstay their visits since, unlike with I-94 forms, there is no attempt to check on whether the border crossers leave. Moreover, border crossing cards have been used fraudulently by others to cross because the biometric identifiers are not checked for all border crossers or at all ports of entry.
There is the Matter of Quilantan which is propagating out of a decision in 2010, basically saying that someone is "lawfully admitted" if allowed through a Port of Entry, even with false documents.Time to stop blaming the Border Patrol, and focus more on CBP inspectors. Of course since 1 Oct 2008 the Border Crossing Cards/B1/B2 have been enhanced: Border Crossing Card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No offense intended, but I have to take DHS "data" with a huge grain of salt. It is not uncommon for them to "manufacture" data for reports, if you catch my drift. I realize you are only posting what's available. Unfortunately, most of the available data from DHS isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Given that Census does not collect or maintain data on illegal aliens, how on earth can they even presume to know the number of illegal aliens entering, leaving, or currently residing in this country? Their guess is as good as mine, which of course, would have no verifiable basis whatsoever.
It's all laid out in the report. I found it interesting that the 2010 data was actually revised to include 800,000 more illegal aliens. But what is even more interesting is that individuals that contest DHS data will say that that there is 40, 50, or even 60 million illegal aliens, all from an assumption just by observing their region (or as small as their own town or city) in the United States.

Of course now that we've established that sourcing norm in our forum community, they will need to supply a reliable reference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration