Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,29.93,,3,0.89

That is the view from the Mexican side of the train tracks -- the trains are long so they have plenty of time to move out and get under the tracks and to the other side without being seen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...38409&t=h&z=15

Once over the actual border, since the trains are long, the illegals follow the train tracks until they to the road where the smugglers may have a waiting car or they walk a short distance until they get to the highway "McNutt" where there are stores and they can blend in, there are buses (bus stops show on google map) that take them to El Paso . The smugglers have their look outs and cell phones as do the illegals, so if by chance a border patrol agent happens to be driving by, they will know and wait until the coast is clear.

Once the illegals make it to that McNutt road, they are home free. The agents can only apprehend them if they catch them actually crossing the border, once they make it that far, the agents can do nothing.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM

62,966 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Excuse me? New Mexico has three Ports of Entry to Mexico - Antelope Wells, Columbus, and Santa Teresa. We usually cross at Santa Teresa, because we can then dog-leg around Juarez (I've crossed at Columbus-Palomas, and all of the El Paso locations several times too).

The Border Patrol has a range of up to 100 miles from the border (and Ports of Entry from international flights). Within 25 miles they can come on to private land at will, as long as they do not try to search occupied dwellings without a search warrant or probable cause. Today I passed a station once again that has at least 100 marked Border Patrol vehicles (they rotate trucks into a dealership service three at a time for scheduled maintenance), including 4-wheelers and trailers for horses.

The Border Patrol Academy is even in New Mexico...

Pacho Villa made his raid on Columbus, New Mexico, and killed 18 Americans, of course New Mexico borders Mexico...

EDIT: New Mexico has 40 more miles of border with Mexico than California does, 180 miles to 140 miles: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0363.pdf
Well excuse me, I was thinking that NM isn't a border state, my mistake.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Are you sure you've ever been to the border?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...09602&t=h&z=17

Anyhow -- if you look at the maps, you can see right where there is no fence (there's also a small mountain to the right but you can see where the highway in Mexico comes right along the border, and there's the train track just inches from it.

I think there is some kind of fence there now but the illegals can get under it in an arroyo, and all they have to do is wait for the train to pass by and they go under the tracks and right into a town called Sunland Park.

Unless they want to hop on the train and head on over to California -- the Southern Pacific makes for convenient transportation as well as an easy entry spot -- the agents (if any are there) would be able to see the illegals making their approach but when the train passes, they can't see them so they can make their move. The illegals can wait in cars right there until the time is right.

Google map also allows you to check out the near by roads and scan for border agents --- doubtful you will see any even in that very obvious entry spot.
Are you saying that the "satellite" view is somewhere close to being real-time? Typically for this area, the map date (when the overhead pictures were taken of that spot) can lag behind by even several years ("StreetView", when available, is updated more often). For where I live, you can even see the car I drove to work that day, and it hasn't been operational for at least five years.

Anyways, you're wrong. I see four Border Patrol vehicles images (if they are moving, it can duplicate them in different photos) just in that portion where the train tracks are close to the border. Zoom in, they are the SUVs with a white top, I can even see the 'lightbars' on their roofs. The Santa Teresa crossing is about five miles (to the west) of that location - Border Patrol does watch over all of that area, which you can also see in person.

There is no Southern Pacific now (my Dad is a railroad nut, and he donated the caboose that is in Columbus, visible on Google StreetView) - They were absorbed by Union Pacific in 1996. Union Pacific is majority-owned by Grupo México, we'll see how you can spin that into a conspiracy.

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 02-01-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Once over the actual border, since the trains are long, the illegals follow the train tracks until they to the road where the smugglers may have a waiting car or they walk a short distance until they get to the highway "McNutt" where there are stores and they can blend in, there are buses (bus stops show on google map) that take them to El Paso . The smugglers have their look outs and cell phones as do the illegals, so if by chance a border patrol agent happens to be driving by, they will know and wait until the coast is clear.

Once the illegals make it to that McNutt road, they are home free. The agents can only apprehend them if they catch them actually crossing the border, once they make it that far, the agents can do nothing.
As far as being "to the border", we went to Western Playland in late September, and have been in Sunland Park as recently as a couple weeks ago. I've been through on NM Hwy. 9, which parallels the border, from Columbus to Santa Teresa. The Border Patrol vehicles are all over, where you can see dozens on a trip like that.

Google StreetView data appears to be about from 2008 and 2009 for that area. I'm able to see the camera towers on the U.S. side, which can't be known as to what they are observing at the time in an operational center miles away. Those even have FLIR for nighttime ops, and can pick up migrants easily.

Why even have this technology if you say it is not used?...

The Border Patrol vehicles can stop people walking, you've even said something about that some time back. Certainly they're around El Paso driving around. Why would you say they aren't?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM

66 posts, read 65,413 times
This just received from DHS/CBP in Washington DC

Official numbers were released today. The news release will be posted on cbp.gov this afternoon.

Thanks,
Joanne

Referring to this: CBP's 2012 Fiscal Year in Review
CBP's 2012 Fiscal Year in Review - CBP.gov

Which still aren't the specific details I expect to receive
I'll email her again on Monday

CBP's 2012 Fiscal Year in Review
CBP's 2012 Fiscal Year in Review - CBP.gov

(Friday, February 01, 2013)Washington— U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released a summary today of fiscal year (FY) 2012 border enforcement efforts, which reflect the significant results of historic levels of personnel, technology, and resources the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has dedicated to the Southwest border under this Administration. In FY 2012, CBP continued to respond to illegal cross-border traffic through targeted operations, enhanced partnerships and an effective deployment of personnel, technology and infrastructure along the border, while facilitating legitimate trade and travel.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 02-04-2013 at 03:25 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Are you saying that the "satellite" view is somewhere close to being real-time? Typically for this area, the map date (when the overhead pictures were taken of that spot) can lag behind by even several years ("StreetView", when available, is updated more often). For where I live, you can even see the car I drove to work that day, and it hasn't been operational for at least five years.

Anyways, you're wrong. I see four Border Patrol vehicles images (if they are moving, it can duplicate them in different photos) just in that portion where the train tracks are close to the border. Zoom in, they are the SUVs with a white top, I can even see the 'lightbars' on their roofs. The Santa Teresa crossing is about five miles (to the west) of that location - Border Patrol does watch over all of that area, which you can also see in person.

There is no Southern Pacific now (my Dad is a railroad nut, and he donated the caboose that is in Columbus, visible on Google StreetView) - They were absorbed by Union Pacific in 1996. Union Pacific is majority-owned by Grupo México, we'll see how you can spin that into a conspiracy.
Well you asked for google maps -- it's not my fault they don't have more recent ones but I highly doubt there's anything much different -- and I know for a fact that many illegals come through in that area and that they use the train for cover and with their cell phones and look-outs, they know if there border patrol agents around or if they've gone off for lunch.

Okay it used to be SP -- and now is Union Pacific but that makes no difference at all, the tracks go right up to the border and run along it plus that area is hilly and filled with arroyos. Illegals don't have to come through that way anyhow, they can use the border crossing cards to come through the legal ports of entry and I've already posted a fairly recent case where just one of these smugglers was caught with stolen drivers licenses and a number of border crossing cards they were "renting" to illegals to get them easily over the border.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well you asked for google maps -- it's not my fault they don't have more recent ones but I highly doubt there's anything much different -- and I know for a fact that many illegals come through in that area and that they use the train for cover and with their cell phones and look-outs, they know if there border patrol agents around or if they've gone off for lunch...
What about the camera posts? There is no escaping their view, and I am always surprised why you ask me if I have been on the border when you never mention that very visible technology. You said there wouldn't be Border Patrol in that area, when the "satellite" view shows they have deployed there for years.

No one ever explains how the Border Patrol is being kept from their jobs when it is extremely evident they are out on watch, with modern technology to help them...

Quote:
...Okay it used to be SP -- and now is Union Pacific but that makes no difference at all, the tracks go right up to the border and run along it plus that area is hilly and filled with arroyos. Illegals don't have to come through that way anyhow, they can use the border crossing cards to come through the legal ports of entry and I've already posted a fairly recent case where just one of these smugglers was caught with stolen drivers licenses and a number of border crossing cards they were "renting" to illegals to get them easily over the border.
Always a deflection when a little bit more information comes up to challenge your stories...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
The US/Mexican Border is as porous as a cheap sponge. If you want to see what a secure border looks like go to the DMZ between North and South Korea. Now that is a secure border and I am sure Kim Jong Un would just love to provide the US Government with freidly technical advice- for a price!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The US/Mexican Border is as porous as a cheap sponge. If you want to see what a secure border looks like go to the DMZ between North and South Korea. Now that is a secure border and I am sure Kim Jong Un would just love to provide the US Government with freidly technical advice- for a price!
Areas? Examples? How did you gain that opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration