Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times

Advertisements

I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I came from the Phillipines legally and worked my way up to be "naturalized". As many Filipinos that come to America, we come for a better life and more oportunities. Our country was a Spanish colony just like Mexico for about 300 years. In 1898 the US and Spain had a war and the US won that battle. In such, they aquired all the Spanish territories such as Puerto Rico and the Philippines. One difference the Filipinos has done is reject the Spanish language and adopt English. When Filipinos came to the US via Hawaii they were just low wage workers that took any job they can. Mostly working in the fields in the Central Valley along side their Mexican counter parts. What I don't agree on is why the "hispanics" (anyone speaking spanish as a native language) are reluctant to learn English as a whole? Well, you cant really blame them because no one is really stopping them from doing it. We have as a society that adapted to their needs by being "bi-langual". But its really not Bi-Langual becuase it only catered to the "Spanish Speaking". I dont see anyone catering to "Tagalog or Japanese or Mandarin or Cambodian". Maybe in some small instances, but not in the masses. If you go to France and you dont speak French, they will laugh in your face or ignore you. They dont want to cater to anyone other than speaking the French language. Most countries are like this unless you have a large English speaking tourism economy. As a Filipino/American I speak english 99% of the time, and I am proud to speak it even though I still know my native language of Tagalog. I encourage the Hispanic community to try and learn the English Language because it is bennificial for all the citizens to speak a common language( and its not going to be Spanish). Its not all about a "racial bias" but its all for a common nationality (being American). I dont want to bend over backwards to learn Spanish because America's language is "English" The British did colonize this country.

Another thing I do notice about "hispanics" is they have a division between them also. They have social class racism between them. I found this true between Salvadorians and Mexicans. I know someone who employs undocumented aliens from both countries and they do not like to work with each other. there is jelousy or hatred there. I'm not sure what is behind this, but it might be social class or political. I also find this between Puerto Ricans and Cubans, or even Mexicans or Vice-Versa.

Does everyone have a legal right to be here in the USA? NO WAY, it is a privilage to be here in the USA and you have to earn that right to come here "LEGALLY" and obey the laws of the United States (YOU HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE). Filipinos can't all come here because there is a lot of ocean between us. They work in other countries like Japan, Korea, Brunie, Dubai, Saudi Arabia..etc.. on temporary worker status to send money home (the Phillipines is a very poor counrty, in fact Mexico has a large GDP than most of South East Asia) They do this "LEGALLY". Maybe those people crossing the border without proper paperwork should think about what they are doing is a crime againts the hand that is feeding them.

On the other hand, the US needs to get off their "comfort zone" and start defending the borders, deport all undocumented aliens (hispanics and other races/nationalities), punish all those who hire undocumented workers and put them in jail. Put our national guard at the border with tanks, mines, fences and 50 cal machine guns on top of Humvees. Now, how can this be racist?? we just want to protect our border just like any country in this world has a right to. Anyone want to try to cross into China from North Korea? I think you might make it for about 50 ft. and you'll have a AK-47 in your face. Are the Chinese being racist?? I think not!

This wont happen MOD CUT. I love this country and I hope it doesn't self destruct because no one in our government has the guts to stand up for its citizens and protect its borders.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-22-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
No, you're not a racist. You're a realist.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,650 posts, read 16,138,284 times
to answer your question...no!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
No you are not.

You came here legally and I applaud you for that. Further, you sound appreciative of the chance you had to come here. I applaud that as well.
It is great that you love our country and realize the trouble we are in and have taken the time to speak up about it. Thank you for exercising your first amendment right that so many of our soldiers have died while defending.

Illegals break the law just by coming here. Most committ ID theft. They have no appreciation of this country. They take advantage of freebies and burn our American flag. They do not love or even like this country. They like the $$ and freebies that they get. They wire $$ back home instead of caring about the US economy. They refuse to speak English and demand all services in "their" language. They want to make this like their native country.

I think it is terrible and such a slap in the face to people who came here legally as you did. You mentioned it being a privledge to come here and you are correct. It is NO ONES right to come here. We let more people in legally than any other country on earthe, yet we are the bad guys?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
You make some excellent points AAPoolSerivceLV. One of the reasons I'm so against illegal immigration is the fact that years ago I was stationed in the Philippines and I saw and met so many people who wanted to immigrate to the US and couldn't. These very hardworking people obey the law and respect the process and wait for years and years to immigrate and sometimes still can't get in. All while anytime anyone from south of our border wants to come here they just sneak right in and pick and choose which laws they will obey.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
No, you are not a racist--you, just like the rest of us, are finding yourself in a nation that has lost its direction--almost like a case of "mass insanity".....hopefully, we can get things back "on track" before we lose it permanently. Letters such as yours will help bring us to our senses....

Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I came from the Phillipines legally and worked my way up to be "naturalized". As many Filipinos that come to America, we come for a better life and more oportunities. Our country was a Spanish colony just like Mexico for about 300 years. In 1898 the US and Spain had a war and the US won that battle. In such, they aquired all the Spanish territories such as Puerto Rico and the Philippines. One difference the Filipinos has done is reject the Spanish language and adopt English. When Filipinos came to the US via Hawaii they were just low wage workers that took any job they can. Mostly working in the fields in the Central Valley along side their Mexican counter parts. What I don't agree on is why the "hispanics" (anyone speaking spanish as a native language) are reluctant to learn English as a whole? Well, you cant really blame them because no one is really stopping them from doing it. We have as a society that adapted to their needs by being "bi-langual". But its really not Bi-Langual becuase it only catered to the "Spanish Speaking". I dont see anyone catering to "Tagalog or Japanese or Mandarin or Cambodian". Maybe in some small instances, but not in the masses. If you go to France and you dont speak French, they will laugh in your face or ignore you. They dont want to cater to anyone other than speaking the French language. Most countries are like this unless you have a large English speaking tourism economy. As a Filipino/American I speak english 99% of the time, and I am proud to speak it even though I still know my native language of Tagalog. I encourage the Hispanic community to try and learn the English Language because it is bennificial for all the citizens to speak a common language( and its not going to be Spanish). Its not all about a "racial bias" but its all for a common nationality (being American). I dont want to bend over backwards to learn Spanish because America's language is "English" The British did colonize this country.

Another thing I do notice about "hispanics" is they have a division between them also. They have social class racism between them. I found this true between Salvadorians and Mexicans. I know someone who employs undocumented aliens from both countries and they do not like to work with each other. there is jelousy or hatred there. I'm not sure what is behind this, but it might be social class or political. I also find this between Puerto Ricans and Cubans, or even Mexicans or Vice-Versa.

Does everyone have a legal right to be here in the USA? NO WAY, it is a privilage to be here in the USA and you have to earn that right to come here "LEGALLY" and obey the laws of the United States (YOU HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE). Filipinos can't all come here because there is a lot of ocean between us. They work in other countries like Japan, Korea, Brunie, Dubai, Saudi Arabia..etc.. on temporary worker status to send money home (the Phillipines is a very poor counrty, in fact Mexico has a large GDP than most of South East Asia) They do this "LEGALLY". Maybe those people crossing the border without proper paperwork should think about what they are doing is a crime againts the hand that is feeding them.

On the other hand, the US needs to get off their "comfort zone" and start defending the borders, deport all undocumented aliens (hispanics and other races/nationalities), punish all those who hire undocumented workers and put them in jail. Put our national guard at the border with tanks, mines, fences and 50 cal machine guns on top of Humvees. Now, how can this be racist?? we just want to protect our border just like any country in this world has a right to. Anyone want to try to cross into China from North Korea? I think you might make it for about 50 ft. and you'll have a AK-47 in your face. Are the Chinese being racist?? I think not!

This wont happen MOD CUT. I love this country and I hope it doesn't self destruct because no one in our government has the guts to stand up for its citizens and protect its borders.
You're not a racist.

You're a law-abiding American who is fed up with his country being invaded.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I came from the Phillipines legally and worked my way up to be "naturalized". As many Filipinos that come to America, we come for a better life and more oportunities. Our country was a Spanish colony just like Mexico for about 300 years. In 1898 the US and Spain had a war and the US won that battle. In such, they aquired all the Spanish territories such as Puerto Rico and the Philippines. One difference the Filipinos has done is reject the Spanish language and adopt English.

I think thats inaccurate. When I hear Tagalog I hear a lot of words are similar to Spanish. So Tagalog is basically a Hybrid language both combining Spanish and the past native language.

When Filipinos came to the US via Hawaii they were just low wage workers that took any job they can. Mostly working in the fields in the Central Valley along side their Mexican counter parts. What I don't agree on is why the "hispanics" (anyone speaking spanish as a native language) are reluctant to learn English as a whole? Well, you cant really blame them because no one is really stopping them from doing it. We have as a society that adapted to their needs by being "bi-langual". But its really not Bi-Langual becuase it only catered to the "Spanish Speaking". I dont see anyone catering to "Tagalog or Japanese or Mandarin or Cambodian". Maybe in some small instances, but not in the masses.

Spanish is catered too often because it is the 2nd most widely spoken language in the U.S compared to the small percentages of Tagalog and Cambodian speakers.

If you go to France and you dont speak French, they will laugh in your face or ignore you. They dont want to cater to anyone other than speaking the French language. Most countries are like this unless you have a large English speaking tourism economy. As a Filipino/American I speak english 99% of the time, and I am proud to speak it even though I still know my native language of Tagalog. I encourage the Hispanic community to try and learn the English Language because it is bennificial for all the citizens to speak a common language( and its not going to be Spanish). Its not all about a "racial bias" but its all for a common nationality (being American). I dont want to bend over backwards to learn Spanish because America's language is "English" The British did colonize this country.

My uncles have been told by employers that Mexicans do the better quality group than all the other South American peoples. They work harder and longer. This was told to them by White employers. Racism is still seen throughout all of South America due to the many colored people that inhabit them. Black, White and indigenous Tan.

If you want a WWIII, sure.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:24 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Thanks for all the support. I've been called a racist before and I really dont think it is a racist issue that some people like to call it.

Prologic:

I think thats inaccurate. When I hear Tagalog I hear a lot of words are similar to Spanish. So Tagalog is basically a Hybrid language both combining Spanish and the past native language.

AA: You are correct when you say Tagalog has Spanish words because it does. But in reality the Taglog words are not used in some instances because there is no direct translation. Did you know there are many dialects spoken in the Phillipines and its without any Spanish words? There are also English words used in Tagalog as well. The official language is actually "Filipino" and but most of the people (especially in the capital of Manila) English is a must and most of the street signs and even the Constitution of the Philipines is written in English. In fact, English is required in school just like So Korea. The Filipino people rejected the Spanish a long time ago and refuse to assimilate. All the Spanish Colonies pretty much did, maybe with the exception of Guam and the Philippines.

Spanish is catered too often because it is the 2nd most widely spoken language in the U.S compared to the small percentages of Tagalog and Cambodian speakers.

AA:Just my point, they need to try to speak ENGLISH because I'm sure not going to learn Spanish just for their sake.

My uncles have been told by employers that Mexicans do the better quality group than all the other South American peoples. They work harder and longer. This was told to them by White employers. Racism is still seen throughout all of South America due to the many colored people that inhabit them. Black, White and indigenous Tan.

AA:This might be true or just a stereo type? I dont know, but I've seen it first hand that Mexicans are racist towards other people from South America and vice versa. I've also seen it in the Mexican Culture that they do not want to inter-mix with Blacks. I have some close friends that are Mexican and their Father told them that they should not marry a black man. Even some of the largest street gangs rivals are Hispanic Vs. Black gangs.

AA:WWIII with who? the Mexicans? common? If we put our Military on our borders (including the northern) we would just cut off almost all the illigal immigration and drug trade. If Russia, China, So Korea can protect their borders like that then why cant we?

Last edited by AA702; 10-22-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the support. I've been called a racist before and I really dont think it is a racist issue that some people like to call it.

Prologic:

AA: You are correct when you say Tagalog has Spanish words because it does. But in reality the Taglog words are not used in some instances because there is no direct translation. Did you know there are many dialects spoken in the Phillipines? There are also English words used in Tagalog as well. The official language is actually "Filipino" and but most of the people (especially in the capital of Manila) prefer to speak English. In fact, English is required in school just like So Korea. The Filipino people rejected the Spanish a long time ago and refuse to assimilate. All the Spanish Colonies pretty much did, maybe with the exception of Guam and the Philippines.

AA:Just my point, they need to try to speak ENGLISH because I'm sure not going to learn Spanish just for their sake.

Why are you so afraid of a bilingual society. Why can't we speak both? I can Speak perfect Spanish and perfect English.

AA:This might be true or just a stereo type? I dont know, but I've seen it first hand that Mexicans are racist towards other people from South America and vice versa. I've also seen it in the Mexican Culture that they do not want to inter-mix with Blacks. I have some close friends that are Mexican and their Father told them that they should not marry a black man. Even some of the largest gangs to have big rivals with are Hispanic Vs. Black gangs.

Lol, yes this is true. We Mexicans are very racist, just not openly racist to the public. My Grandma dislikes Whites and Blacks alike. I know a lot of people and have friends who are Half Black and Half Mexican yet Mexicans are still racist towards Blacks, even the Native Blacks in Mexico. I don't know why we are racist towards Blacks, but I'm sure my friend Gustavo Arellano has a word on it.

Quote:
After asking my dad about black people in Mexico, it almost seemed as if Mexicans don’t like speaking about black people in their country. I think it’s strange that Mexico, unlike many other Latin American countries, doesn’t have a big black community, and the blacks it does have seem to be shunned. Are we Mexicans racist toward black people?
Ay Mami, Que Será Lo Que Tiene el Negro

Dear Wab: In a word, sí. But Mexican racism toward negritos is different than the kind practiced by gabachos. Although the Spaniards imported hundreds of thousands of African slaves to Mexico, most of them either died off or jumped into the country’s mestizaje with gusto. Mexico’s African community has never been particularly large or distinctive as a result—the current count is about 1 percent of Mexico’s 105 million souls, and most live in the coastal states of Guerrero and Veracruz. With such a small population in a country where white means might, modern-day Afro-Mexicans don’t encounter the type of oppression experienced by blacks in the United States. Really, the worst stings they suffer are mass-media depictions as Sambo-like caricatures—the best example remains Memín Pingüin, a beloved, virtuous comic-book character who looks like a gorilla with a hat. But the times, as Bob Dylan once howled, are cambiando. One of Univisión’s current telenovelas, Destilando Amor (Distilling Love) recently featured a subplot involving the daughter of a white-as-snow Mexican family dating an Afro-Mexican. The positive portrayal of the negrito in Destilando Amor means there’s hope for Mexicans to become as politically correct as gabachos.

AA:WWIII with who? the Mexicans? common? If we put our Military on our borders (including the northern) we would just cut off almost all the illigal immigration and drug trade. If Russia, China, So Korea can protect their borders like that then why cant we?
Don't you think all of Latin America would be pissed if the United States started killing their people?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration