Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Correllation of beliefs question.
Illegal immigration bad, invasion of Iraq, good 6 14.63%
Illegal immigration necessary evil, invasion of Iraq bad. 9 21.95%
Illegal immigration bad, invasion of Iraq, bad 26 63.41%
Illegal immigration necessary evil, invasion of Iraq good. 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times

Advertisements

I have a theory that views on immigration reflect a certain way of thinking. Do you agree with A,B,C,D?

A, Illegal immigration is a serious negative problem and invading and occupying Iraq was the right thing to do.

B, Illegal immigration while not desirable supplies needed workers to keep the economy of the United States functioning, and invading and occupying Iraq was a horrendous mistake.

C. Illegal immigration is a serious negative problem, and invading and occupying Iraq was a horrendous mistake.

D, Illegal immigration while not desirable supplies needed workers to keep the economy of the United States functioning and invading and occupying Iraq was the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
I'll state right up front before any other postings that I don't think you'll get a valid linkage in any sentiment. The perception of Iraq shifted dramatically from the time of the initial military action, and the long term occupation was not something folks envisioned. The sentiments changed with the situation, so I don't think that linkage of any sort will provide insights.

EDIT - Your poll question has to do with the invasion, not the occupation. If we isolate the invasion as Saddam's shell game with the weapon inspectors, it sheds a different light on the issue.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 AM

I got caught by the limited number of words allowed in the poll question. I hope that folks will reflect on the post text before answering the abbreviated poll question.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Your poll is seriously flawed. You must show a correllation between illegal immigration and Iraq exists before you can present such choices. You may as well be asking, "I drive Chevys and I dislike butter."

Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
I'll try and be succinct----

(1) ILLEGAL IMIGRATION BAD, for many obvious reasons (security, living standards, etc)--but at this point a necessary evil, until we can get Americans back into the "crop-picking, toilet-scrubbing, burger-flipping" frame of mind. Right now, I don't see how we could ever do this--particularly with our younger people....

(2) INVASION OF IRAQ GOOD---As far as we knew at that time (dangerous, unstable lunatic, threatening his whole neighborhood with nukes, vowing to take them all dowm with him in a "blaze of glory") Turns out we may have been lied to, but that was revealed only later.
I will go on record once again, as NOTICING when Bush began slipping in those little "Bringin' democracy to the good people of Iraq" comments. I said then, and I say it now--get rid of Saddam if you must--but you CANNOT bring democracy or liberal western culture to a society that doesn't value it, or want it. Bad idea then, bad idea now.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 PM

Referencing nvexplorer's comment; So ignore it.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 PM

537 posts, read 441,205 times
Illegals are BAD!!! The war with Iraq is BAD and always was bad no matter what excuses and LIES the administration told and is still telling the populace of this country. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and there was no reason to attack, except that Bush wanted revenge.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Illegals are BAD!!! The war with Iraq is BAD and always was bad no matter what excuses and LIES the administration told and is still telling the populace of this country. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and there was no reason to attack, except that Bush wanted revenge.
My only "quibble" with you is to remind you that, as angry as we might be, this is a long way from a "one-man dictatorship". Bush couldn't have done what he did without substantial backing from the US Government in its entirety. A US President can't simply "flip out" and do something crazy, even if he WANTS to---
Now, as to whether he and his cohorts did "shifty" things, and pushed their own agenda? Sure they did---no question about it. And I'm not happy about that, either. I'm an American, and when America does stupid things, it reflects on me...

Old 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I have a theory that views on immigration reflect a certain way of thinking. Do you agree with A,B,C,D?

A, Illegal immigration is a serious negative problem and invading and occupying Iraq was the right thing to do.

C. Illegal immigration is a serious negative problem, and invading and occupying Iraq was a horrendous mistake.
You seem to want it both ways on A and C. The same with B and D. So of course you are right, there's no way you can be wrong, because everyone pretty much will fall into one of the categories you listed.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM

I want what?, did I claim a right or a wrong? Yup, everyone should fall into one of the categories, I am interested in the preponderance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration