Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:11 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times

Advertisements

http://www.michnews.com/c/Hate%20Speach%20-%20by%20Pro-Illegal%20Alien.jpg (broken link)

I don't really think that their protest is really valid.. these sorts of posters makes me think they don't know what they're fighting for, or talking about altogether. What do you guys think? They probably also don't know that some illegals are from European decent as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
http://www.michnews.com/c/Hate%20Speach%20-%20by%20Pro-Illegal%20Alien.jpg (broken link)

I don't really think that their protest is really valid.. these sorts of posters makes me think they don't know what they're fighting for, or talking about altogether. What do you guys think? They probably also don't know that some illegals are from European decent as well..
I think they are people who didn't have the chance we had to study and become informated and educated, and are desperate and think (unwisely) that these actions will do good to their cause.

All of the inhabitants of the new world descend from migrants some came before, some later but we all migrated

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM

I know, if you don't know what the hell your talking about why even join the protests? "Oh lets not go to school and try to hurt the American economy". The only person your going to hurt is yourself by not getting educated. Those walk outs that happened here in the Bay Area were of complete stupidity by the students.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
If they are Mestizo, which describes more than 85% of the Mexican population, then they have European blood. According to their own ideology, they need to go back to Spain.

The only indigenous peoples to these United States are the Native North American Indians, NOT Meso American Indians. After passing through the present day U.S. on their way south approximately 15,000 years ago, those who became indigenous to present day Mexico and Central America never came north again. There is absolutely NO archaeological or anthropological evidence to support the statement many of these reconquista proponents claim as gospel, that they are indigenous to the Southwestern United States. Are they indigenous to the continent? Yes, they are. Yet the Aztecs and Toltecs (related tribes) from whom many of these people claim to be descended, never made it past the Sonoran desert. It was a huge, natural barrier to northward migration after the end of the last ice age. Most scholars agree that they never made it more than 100 miles north of present day Mexico City, site of the Aztec city of Teotihuacán.

As a person of Native American ancestry, I'm highly insulted when these people assert that they are the only true indigenous peoples in the southwestern United States. Such a tired, overused piece of rhetoric.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
If they are Mestizo, which describes more than 85% of the Mexican population, then they have European blood. According to their own ideology, they need to go back to Spain.

The only indigenous peoples to these United States are the Native North American Indians, NOT Meso American Indians. After passing through the present day U.S. on their way south approximately 15,000 years ago, those who became indigenous to present day Mexico and Central America never came north again. There is absolutely NO archaeological or anthropological evidence to support the statement many of these reconquista proponents claim as gospel, that they are indigenous to the Southwestern United States. Are they indigenous to the continent? Yes, they are. Yet the Aztecs and Toltecs (related tribes) from whom many of these people claim to be descended, never made it past the Sonoran desert. It was a huge, natural barrier to northward migration after the end of the last ice age. Most scholars agree that they never made it more than 100 miles north of present day Mexico City, site of the Aztec city of Teotihuacán.

As a person of Native American ancestry, I'm highly insulted when these people assert that they are the only true indigenous peoples in the southwestern United States. Such a tired, overused piece of rhetoric.

Actually the native indian peoples are the same type of indians whether they are from Alaska or the tip of South America.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
I thought Kele just explained very clearly that they arent

Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Awwww, you guys are all ROTTEN, this poor guy here, go easy on him, it's tough out there. He doesn't speak English folks, he was trying to translate, here, here's the proper translation he was trying to get across...

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Oh man, you made me fall from my chair ROFL!!!!

I got hungry too, there's no good mexican food here in Brazil, I can't wait to return to Mexico

Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Actually the native indian peoples are the same type of indians whether they are from Alaska or the tip of South America.
Sure they are--in the same way that the Britains, the French, the Danish, the Irish, the Scots, the Greeks, the Portuguese, the Czechs, the Slavic people, the Austrians, the Germans, the Swiss, the Spanish, and the Portuguese are all Romans.

They are related in the same way that we are all related to Homo erectus or Homo habilus. We all essentially came from the same place, yet even though we continue to share approximately 99% of our DNA, we have evolved our own little physical traits, shared languages, cultures, and religious ideologies which set us apart from our fellow man.

There are a couple of little inconsistencies which throw the monkey wrench into your oft repeated yet erroneous statement. Meso American Indians and North American Native Americans actually have very little in common in the way of culture, art, religious ideology and shared language. Although the languages within the Uto-Aztecan language family share some cognates, those cognates are fewer than English shares with Persian. North American Native Americans do not speak with the lateral affricative as do many Mesoamerican tribes. Nauhuatl is to the Hopi language as English is to Italian.

Then there is also the notion that all of the native peoples must have traveled from somewhere in modern day Siberia across the Bering Strait land bridge, down through Alaska and Canada until they reached the modern day U.S. and beyond. Until quite recently there seemed almost an air of “political correctness" to the notion that the earliest migrants into the New World were pedestrians, that is, that the most ancestral Native Americans came walking from Asia across the Bering Land Bridge and then, after spending some time locked by ice and snow from moving out of Alaska, that they finally moved down into North America via the newly-opened ice free corridor. This has always seemed a bit strange to those of us who study this subject, especially considering evidence that quite early on people were taking advantage of the ecological richness provided by the coastal northern Pacific Rim. Archaeologists also know that early East and Southeast Asians were successfully traveling across open water to places like Australia, Okinawa and parts of the Philippines; that they most probably were doing this as cultures already familiar with coastal travel in some kind of crafts. Even if such early peoples had lacked water craft, it is hard to conceive of them having avoided travel along the Pleistocene coasts, gathering shellfish, fishing, maybe occasionally hunting sea mammals – and perhaps doing so just a bit farther along the coasts than had their parents. Even accepting that parts of the Pleistocene coastline may have offered little land before one encountered massive mountain glaciers on their way to the sea, still, people could have slowly worked their way north, east, and then south to what is now British Columbia and then further south.

The implication here being that it is not necessarily true that the Mesoamerican Indians even passed through the modern day U.S. on their way to Mexico. In fact to insist that it must be so shortchanges the culture that became Mesoamerica, perhaps those indigenous peoples who built the magnificient pyramids of Teotihuacán. (No, it was not the Aztecs. The pyramids were there when they stumbled upon the site of Teotihuacán.)

So you see, in the world of Archaeology, theories change all the time. Because those pre-hisoric peoples left so little evidence of the civilizations behind, and indeed, no written language, we are left to interpret artifacts, the formations in which they are found, and the few undisturbed sites we are sometimes lucky enough to stumble upon, the best we can with continually evolving (for the better) dating techniques and middle range theory.

To blatantly state as fact that Mesoamerican Indians and North American Native Americans are one and the same shows very little understanding of genetics, migration patterns, and paleo-indian cultures as a whole. Sorry.

Last edited by Kele; 11-02-2007 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Are you being sarcastic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration