Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times

Advertisements

Would you yourself be able to immigrate to the U.S. if you had the exact same job, exact same qualifications, and exact same background as you do now, but you're in Germany or the UK. Assume that you do not have any relatives (including spouse) who are American.

Would your ancestors who came legally to the U.S. without breaking a single law (unlike the illegal immigrant scum of today), be able to immigrate to the U.S. under today's immigration law and immigration process?

Assume that you and your ancestors are willing to wait in whatever line it takes and willing to fill out whatever forms and paperwork needed.

Whether or not you think this question is irrelevant because the situation has changed, answer yes or no to both questions. Whether or not you think nobody has a right to be in America, answer the questions.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Would you yourself be able to immigrate to the U.S. if you had the exact same job, exact same qualifications, and exact same background as you do now, but you're in Germany or the UK. Assume that you do not have any relatives (including spouse) who are American.

Would your ancestors who came legally to the U.S. without breaking a single law (unlike the illegal immigrant scum of today), be able to immigrate to the U.S. under today's immigration law and immigration process?

Assume that you and your ancestors are willing to wait in whatever line it takes and willing to fill out whatever forms and paperwork needed.

Whether or not you think this question is irrelevant because the situation has changed, answer yes or no to both questions. Whether or not you think nobody has a right to be in America, answer the questions.
I don't know but that's neither here nor there. I was born here to 2 Americans who were born here but we started out in Ireland before that. What was Ok in 1914 ain't Ok in 2013.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 PM

116 posts, read 110,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't know but that's neither here nor there. I was born here to 2 Americans who were born here but we started out in Ireland before that. What was Ok in 1914 ain't Ok in 2013.
America is indisputably richer now than it was back then. The real reason is that immigrants in 1913 were white Europeans, and immigrants in 2013 are Hispanics and Asians. No one likes to admit this but that's the truth. That's why the laws are stricter now, and all this baloney about "overpopulation."

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Yeah but given what you know or could find out about them, you can see if they would qualify to immigrate from the guidelines at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: USCIS - Green Card

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Yeah but given what you know or could find out about them, you can see if they would qualify to immigrate from the guidelines at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: USCIS - Green Card
Having navigated the immigration process for my wife and stepchildren, no I would not have qualified to immigrate on my own to the United States from any of the countries of my diverse ancestry. I've also studied that ancestry heavily - my last immigrant line came in 1887. She had an older brother (that she and another brother were coming to join, the rumor was that their parents had died in Germany) already here, but he naturalized almost three years after she had arrived.

All of my other lines came on their own, or sometimes with their parents. None seemed to be escaping any oppression - mandatory military conscription for the male Swedes and Germans at most. A fair amount were blacksmiths, but that trade was not exclusive or made them particularly talented.

I would have been SOL...

Great contrasting topic, BTW...

Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
America is indisputably richer now than it was back then. The real reason is that immigrants in 1913 were white Europeans, and immigrants in 2013 are Hispanics and Asians. No one likes to admit this but that's the truth. That's why the laws are stricter now, and all this baloney about "overpopulation."
Uh; many of who'd be called "white" in 2013 were NOT called "white" 100 years ago like the Italians and Jews. Hispanics: there were rare then since Mexico had few people and there weren't near as many coming here, Cuba was owned by the US and so was Puerto Rico. Too; Hispanics back then were called "white".

Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Uh; many of who'd be called "white" in 2013 were NOT called "white" 100 years ago like the Italians and Jews. Hispanics: there were rare then since Mexico had few people and there weren't near as many coming here, Cuba was owned by the US and so was Puerto Rico. Too; Hispanics back then were called "white".
"White" is not a category or qualification to immigration now, don't derail the topic...

Old 05-03-2013, 09:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
My grandparents arrived in the US as refugees from the Nazis. I would assume that the US would admit them as refugees/asylum seekers today if returning home meant certain death. Obviously I make exceptions for true refugees/asylum seekers; if not for these policies I wouldn't be here, and I support genuine refugees/asylum seekers.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
My grandfather was "illegal."

Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
The one in the thread title.
I didn't know I was obligated to do that. It seemed kind of a silly topic to me but here goes. My ancestors were blue-collared tradesmen so no they probably wouldn't be able to migrate here today because we don't need to import any more blue-collared workers. Many of our own are unemployed right now.

We needed them back then. We don't need them today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration