Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

The site seems somewhat biased. Are they anthropologists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 01:59 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Well its pretty obvious the Natives from South America used to hold residence in what is now the U.S. They migrated to the South. Now if thats the case their roots must be from the same Indians from North America.
Aren't those the same guys that immigrated from Canada... or was it Alaska... or was it the east coast of what is now Russia... or wait, maybe they were Chinese...! ! !

How far back you want to carry this migration/immigration crap? You want to go back to your ancestral roots?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
The Eskimos (Inuit) have only been in Alaska and Canada for 1000 years or so--they came by water from NE Asia. Should they be deported? When the Vikings settled SW Greenland 1000 years ago, the Eskimos had not yet reached that area....

Strong evidence indicates that the Navajo are of quite recent Canadian origin (the language is part of the Athapascan group in the Saskatchewan area). They may have arrived in Arizona as recently as the 1200's AD. Do we deport them, or allow them to stay?

And (please forgive me, but I MUST add this)--what about "Kennewick Man", an skeleton found in a Columbia River gravel bar 10 years ago near Kennewick, Washington (Tri-Cities)....The skeleton is about 9,000 years old and is apparently CAUCASIAN (!) One scientist on the case said "Kennewick Man is much more like the skeleton of a modern European accountant than an ancient paleo-Indian hunter". The case is embroiled in lawsuits with the local Native Americans, but calls in to question much of what we think we know about "pre-history"....

There are VERY few populations on earth who don't live where "somebody else" once lived before....

Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM

140 posts, read 111,971 times
Quote:
http://www.michnews.com/c/Hate%20Speach%20-%20by%20Pro-Illegal%20Alien.jpg (broken link)

I don't really think that their protest is really valid.. these sorts of posters makes me think they don't know what they're fighting for, or talking about altogether. What do you guys think? They probably also don't know that some illegals are from European decent as well..
The guy holding the signs looks about as smart as a sack of hammers! Someone likely paid him to stand there and hold them.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Aren't those the same guys that immigrated from Canada... or was it Alaska... or was it the east coast of what is now Russia... or wait, maybe they were Chinese...! ! !

How far back you want to carry this migration/immigration crap? You want to go back to your ancestral roots?
Yea, the same indians whether they are from Alaska down to the U.S territory. Just some mixed with other groups, like the Eskimos.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not. That is a commentary. Do you know the difference between a commentary and a scholarly article? A commentary is no different than an editorial in a newspaper. One person's opinion.

Now, if your writer had cited sources and given the reader information about where his information had come from--once again, if one is going to form that type of hypothesis, one must cite credible, published sources whose works have been generally accepted by the scientific or anthropological community. The one book quoted, The Clash of Civilizations is a theory, proposed by political scientist Samuel P. Huntington, that people's cultural and religious identities will be the primary source of conflict in the post-Cold War world. I hardly think that backs the claims in this article.

He cited no scientific basis for this article. Consequently, I give it as much weight to it as I would to the front page of the Enquirer.

Current thought in the anthropological community tends toward more than one migration over a period of several thousand years by land and by water. Consequently the old line of thought which believed that all of the peoples who populated the North American continent came from the same set of ancestors or even the same region has been all but discarded except by very few hard-liners. Remember, in the study of Anthropology, one must be open to change because theories come and go all the time. Unfortunately for some folks, the mass migration from one region is Siberia is one of them.

Last edited by Kele; 11-03-2007 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Well its pretty obvious the Natives from South America used to hold residence in what is now the U.S. They migrated to the South. Now if thats the case their roots must be from the same Indians from North America.
Well, you know...I am Scottish and Apache. However, I could pass for a Northern Italian, no problem at all. Does that mean that my Scottish and Apache ancestors migrated to where ever they ended up from Italy? Or perhaps that the Northern Italians are actually Scottish Native Americans in disguise?

Interesting theory you propose there.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well, you know...I am Scottish and Apache. However, I could pass for a Northern Italian, no problem at all. Does that mean that my Scottish and Apache ancestors migrated to where ever they ended up from Italy? Or perhaps that the Northern Italians are actually Scottish Native Americans in disguise?

Interesting theory you propose there.
My G/F; two of her grandparents immigrated from southern Italy-----yet, she is a Nordic blonde with ice blue eyes. She bears a slight resemblance to Glenn Close or Helen Mirren.

Side note here: genetically speaking most English, Irish, Welsh and Scots are essentially the same as Spaniards from Spain. That the Irish are Celts is actually a myth apparently.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My G/F; two of her grandparents immigrated from southern Italy-----yet, she is a Nordic blonde with ice blue eyes. She bears a slight resemblance to Glenn Close or Helen Mirren.

Side note here: genetically speaking most English, Irish, Welsh and Scots are essentially the same as Spaniards from Spain. That the Irish are Celts is actually a myth apparently.
Actually, while the English, Irish, Welsh and Scottish can trace ancestry back to a Basque speaking people, no one really knows if they were truly the Spaniards that one would tend to think of in today's terminology. That there was a migration from that area of Europe to the area of the British Isles close to 16,000 years ago, while still disputed by a few anthropologists, is likely true. However, those people DID mix with Celts, people from the Nordic countries, Normans, and Anglo-Saxons. The first migratory peoples were hunter-gatherers, so where they came from originally is still a mystery. They had no written language and if they left anything in the way of artifacts, they were likely no more than projectile points, hardly enough to base theories upon.

Amazing how you really can't rely on a person's looks to judge their ethnicity isn't it?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

My understanding is that most of these people are Celts---the words "Gales" (Spanish for "Wales")---"Gaul"--"Galicia" (NW Spain) and the "Gaelic" language are all based on this fact---but I won't quibble. I thiought "Gaels" were Celts...(?)

Here's one for you, AzBear...apparently there is a small strain of American Indian heritage on the "outer islands" of Scotland.(Hebrides) THese rough, tough, hardy fellows were eagerly sought out by the Hudsons Bay Co. in its earliest explorations in Canada, as laborers and boatmen

When their contracts were up, some of them elected to return to their home islands with their Indian wives. To this day an occasional Island child will show up with strongly Indian features--and some of them "re-emigrated" back to North America later.
Or so the story goes--read this in scientific journal somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration