Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

An immigration reform organization has released a report that challenges the argument of open border proponents who claim there's a shortage of farm workers in the United States.

The report was commissioned by the Washington, DC-based Center for Immigration Studies, and is entitled Farm Labor Shortages: How Real? What Response? Jessica Vaughan, a senior policy analyst for the CIS, says the shortage is a myth.

"There are no real indications of a shortage. Production of fresh fruits and vegetables has actually gone up. The growers are planting more and more, and they're harvesting more and more. The prices have stayed the same," argues Vaughan. "If there were really a shortage we would start to see shortages of produce on our shelves."

Immigration study says farm worker shortage a myth (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
This is really no surprise. If the main stream media keeps saying over and over again that we need more farm workers then people will believe them. Most of the media is very pro amnesty and they'll keep pushing that agenda.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:02 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
no one is saying theyre short now. they will be if aggressive deportation policy is enacted.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Good, a shortage will drive up wages and offer decent paying jobs to Americans

Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I am willing to pay more so that legals are paid a fair wage. I wish they would add a box on my income tax return.
Are you willing to donate money to the mass deportation fund? How much? Uhmmm all of my return...

Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
I'd pay more for fruit and veggies if it meant that they were picked by someone who was working legally in this country. If it paid a decent wage, I'd do it between semesters to bolster my scholarship fund! I've spent summers as a teenager picking cantelopes and tomatoes in the hot Texas sun--it doesn't get any more back breaking than that but at least I was paid a fair wage to do it.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Good, a shortage will drive up wages and offer decent paying jobs to Americans
farms are already receiving subsidies. if they are forced to pay higher wages, how do you think they will manage to stay afloat? this is a domino effect. and a perfect example of why we need immigrant labor.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
farms are already receiving subsidies. if they are forced to pay higher wages, how do you think they will manage to stay afloat? this is a domino effect. and a perfect example of why we need immigrant labor.
So you don't want people who pick crops to be paid adequately? This is completely unamerican--

Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
Not true. About two-thirds of all American's farmers and ranchers receive no direct government support at all.

AskQuestions.org - Farm Subsidies

Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Not true. About two-thirds of all American's farmers and ranchers receive no direct government support at all.

AskQuestions.org - Farm Subsidies
not all farms. sorry if i was implicit. i realize i didnt specify. my apologies. but 1/3 of our farms? we will feel the effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration