Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times

Advertisements

I'm not twisting your words. I mentioned this: I guess that you have a law degree. Not everybody has one. And you evaded confirming or denying this.

And quite frankly, I don't know what your angle is. Perhaps you just like stirring up things?

Besides, once again, whether a law is civil or criminal it doesn't matter because there are consequences for breaking laws.

You were calling everybody a "foreigner" because when you were splitting hairs over civil and criminal laws, you assumed that because people weren't nuanced in the finer points of the law, they just had to be "foreigners". So, I was not twisting your words.

As for illegal aliens, whether they violated a civil or a criminal law, it's all rather simple. As illegal aliens, they have no business being here and need to leave. Got it?

No need to waste your time with a response. There is nothing else that needs to be said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I'm sure that'll help their case...

Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Default Fasting for immigration reform: Strikers go hungry in push for change

That hunger strike is a great way to end a national problem,
maybe all the illegals will fast.

Here's hoping the strike lasts a real long time.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Let them fast, that doesn't change the fact that not 1 illegal deserves a free pass, a head of line pass, or special consideration. We have a system in place and illegals need to be held accountable. This nation doesn't owe a single illegal a damned thing.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
When did I evade this question? I don't recall anyone asking me that.

I went to a public school in NJ. You didn't comprehend my previous post at all. Knowing the difference between criminal and civil law is not a deeper finer point of the law. It's the first thing anyone learns about the law in [elementary] school. Similar to how number systems are the first thing that anyone learns about math in [elementary] school. It's the fundamentals.

I'm not insulting anyone.

This is your miscomprehension. What I am clearly saying is that someone who is a foreigner has a valid excuse to not be familiar with US laws. That's very different than saying that all foreigners are not familiar with US laws.

Do you like twisting people's words into things that they did not say? I don't see what your angle is here.
I try to keep it simple. If you violate the law that means a crime has been committed. Okay civil offense etc. Illegals unless they simply live with someone are violating a number of laws. For example. It is against the law to work under the table. You are evading taxes. A crime.
If you work using someone else's SSN or a SSN that was not legally issued to you. That is a crime.
If you drive without a license. That is a crime. If you drive without insurance. That is a crime. If operate a vehicle on the road that is uninsured, that is a crime. If you identify yourself using a false ID that is a crime.
Any of the above have legal consequences for a citizen, a permanent resident, or someone here on a tourist VISA.
Yes their are civil offenses and their are criminal offenses. The point is that illegals commit violations of both to exist here. They can not exist in a vacuum.
When my wife received her VISA she was warned that it was illegal for her to work in the USA until she received her Temp permanent residence card and a SSN. To get the SSN you need the temp. perm resident card. In other words she was here 1 year before she could work. The penalty for violating that law would be fines and possible deportation. If it isn't a crime then why the penalty?
She was warned that she needed to carry her VISA card every where she went. Failure could result in deportation.
Why do some insist that illegals be held less accountable than we hold legal immigrants?
To say illegals aren't criminals is to ignore the many laws they must violate to simply exist here.

Last edited by tinman01; 05-05-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
^Excellent post, tinman01!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Excellent post, tinman01!
Thank you. Some like to split hairs, either to show off their knowledge or simply to be obtuse. The poster certainly understood the intent and what is meant by saying all illegals are criminals. They violate laws everyday simply to exist. The exception would be one who is fully supported by a legal resident or citizen. How often does that happen? Even if that does happen now the legal resident or citizen is a criminal for harboring and abetting the illegal.
If it weren't against the law, then why the need to live in the shadows? Why the need to use false ID? Evade taxes, avoid Law enforcement?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thank you. Some like to split hairs, either to show off their knowledge or simply to be obtuse. The poster certainly understood the intent and what is meant by saying all illegals are criminals. They violate laws everyday simply to exist. The exception would be one who is fully supported by a legal resident or citizen. How often does that happen? Even if that does happen now the legal resident or citizen is a criminal for harboring and abetting the illegal.
If it weren't against the law, then why the need to live in the shadows? Why the need to use false ID? Evade taxes, avoid Law enforcement?
I hear ya, tinman. These defenders of illegal aliens love to portray it as it is no big deal for them to be here illegally and as if the only offense committed was crossing our border without permission from our government when we know that most commit other offenses after they get here. And you're right if they aren't working or living with relatives and friends that support them then they are guilty of aiding and abetting.

It's not right that there seems to be a double standard for legal and illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration