Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 AM

419 posts, read 2,018,749 times

Advertisements

Correction: BC-Immigration-Scottsdale

1 day ago
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — In a Dec. 23 story about a Scottsdale Police Department immigration policy, The Associated Press reported erroneously that officers have begun to ask for proof of citizenship from every suspect they arrest.
Sgt. Mark Clark, a Scottsdale police spokesman, said officers are asking people who are arrested if they are in the country illegally, but police aren't requiring that criminal suspects prove their lawful presence in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 11:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
personal responsibility trumps the gov't, I should hope you think that way. The citizens of this country have become a herd of namby pamby whiners. This immigration forum provides ample evidence of that. At this point in time, I believe America deserves what it gets. If this was the 19th century most Americans would be too frightened and too baby like to have jumped into the wagon and headed west.

I have no sympathy for those who complain about what is going on in this country. For far to long the citizens have allowed the corporations to take control. Every country gets its decline, America's may just well be happening.

This statement makes very little sense. Please explain yourself.

I find it appalling that the current administration has put this country at the financial mercy of the Communist Chinese.
I find it appalling that there are 70,000 lobbyists in Washington DC
I find it appalling that there are those who support the free enterprise system and Capitalism yet whine when corporations and employers seek the least expensive labor costs.
If you have such an attitude against the USA-----------leave!

Yes: we have many problems; some self induced, we are working on making things right.......maybe the results will not be to my liking either. Then it will be my choice whether I decide to stay or walk. Till then; I am helping in the battle.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you have such an attitude against the USA-----------leave!

Yes: we have many problems; some self induced, we are working on making things right.......maybe the results will not be to my liking either. Then it will be my choice whether I decide to stay or walk. Till then; I am helping in the battle.
Thank you, ArizonaBear . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:17 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Every nation has its rise, decline and fall. Getting emotionally involved with a political entity controlled by corporations is a little bit silly. Now, the land is different, I like this land. I like the feel of the dirt under my feet. I would likely fight to protect this land, but not the political entity that does not respect its citizens, and in fact wastes the lives of its citizens in far off military adventures.

Arizona Bear, I suggest the boycott I suggested. Until then you are not helping in the battle but are adding to the problem by consuming the products of evil doers and putting money in their pockets.

Avoid the taint of hypocrisy

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Every nation has its rise, decline and fall. Getting emotionally involved with a political entity controlled by corporations is a little bit silly.
What's amazing is that you probably think you'd be *just as* prosperous, free, successful, or economically as well of if, say, the United States were to "fall" and your hardworking friends from SOB were to "take over" this bit of dirt and "recreate" their Aztlan fairy land...... as you are now, operating within the geographical and political confines of the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide
Now, the land is different, I like this land. I like the feel of the dirt under my feet. I would likely fight to protect this land, but not the political entity that does not respect its citizens, and in fact wastes the lives of its citizens in far off military adventures.
You don't respect the laws of the nation to begin with, so who are you to criticize the nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide
Avoid the taint of hypocrisy

Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 PM

87 posts, read 126,485 times
Gee . . . I hope they don't stop and question my 87-year-old mom. She has never driven a car; thus she doesn't have a photo ID. I guess she could carry around her birth certificate and her Social Security card to keep from being hauled off to jail. Is that what this country has come to? In Germany in the 1930's and 1940's, police officials would stop citizens and demand "Zeigen Sie mir Ihre Papiere!" Isn't that the same thing?

Last edited by ggjacobsen; 12-26-2007 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Add a sentence

Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Gee . . . I hope they don't stop and question my 87-year-old mom. She has never driven a car; thus she doesn't have a photo ID. I guess she could carry around her birth certificate and her Social Security card to keep from being hauled off to jail. Is that what this country has come to?
Virginia doesn't issue state photo ID?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
It is solely by accident of birth that you or I are here. There is no "special" favor from god that makes America better. Whether I am prosperous in America or in an America run by non Americans is completely irrelevant. I can tell you that if you spend time in Mexico you will feel a greater sense of personal freedom than in this over regulated corporate oligarchy.

Quote:
You don't respect the laws of the nation to begin with, so who are you to criticize the nation?
Apparently you have no idea what I am saying. When you speak of "the nation" what nation do you speak of? Here, let me put it in simple understandable terms. Have you noticed who is running for President of America? Have you noticed how much money is being spent? Where does that money come from, to what particular devil will the successful candidate have sold their soul to?

Abraham Lincolns famous phrase, " government of the people, by the people and for the people" no longer applies. It is now, "government of the oligarchs, by the oligarchs, for the oligarchs", you can substitute corporations for oligarch, it all amounts to the same thing.

An example, the recent overhaul of the credit system benefited credit card providers far more than it benefited credit card users.
The overhaul of the medical system which Hillary Clinton championed in the middle 90's may have been good or bad, that is irrelvant, that it took power from the insurance companies sent them into overdrive to discredit the program.

That you appear to believe you are a free citizen in a free country in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary is a problem you share with too many people. Americans believe they live in the best place on earth, yet America ranks 17th in the world in terms of freedom.

What does this have to do with illegal immigration? Simple again. Illegal labor benefits large corporations, large corporations own our politicians. Nothing meaningful will happen to change the illegal labor situation until power is taken from the corporations.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Gee . . . I hope they don't stop and question my 87-year-old mom. She has never driven a car; thus she doesn't have a photo ID. I guess she could carry around her birth certificate and her Social Security card to keep from being hauled off to jail. Is that what this country has come to? In Germany in the 1930's and 1940's, police officials would stop citizens and demand "Zeigen Sie mir Ihre Papiere!" Isn't that the same thing?
I know you're having a bit of "fun" with us, but you do bring up a good point. No, that's not YET what "this country has come to". But it's often true that naive and unrealistic attitudes in a quest for "niceness" can eventually backfire, and "utopia" can become "dystopia".

The fact is, that if something isn't done about uncontrolled, unplanned-for, open-ended illegal immigration, eventually, yes, just as your post suggests, we will have no CHOICE but to "assume" everyone is illegal, until proven otherwise. Happens all the time. When you make a bank withdrawal, the bank "assumes" you're a crook--until you show ID. Your credit card provider "assumes" the same thing...you have to "prove" your right to their info. The entire "Notary Public" field relies entirely for its existence, on the fact that many people, in MANY walks of life, want to know who others "are", yet want something more solid to rely on than just that person's "word". The entire airline industry now, for all practical purposes, "assumes" that EVERY arriving passenger, regardless of age, sex, or ethnicity, is a terrorist. Our society, to some extent, has indeed "come to that".

Now that our border patrol is largely unable, unwilling, (or has been ORDERED not) to keep a close eye on who "gets in", then increasingly we're going to hear more and more cases where people are "assumed" to be illegal, until they can prove themselves. Essentially, the police. employers, and many other agencies are going to have to begin doing the "job" that SHOULD have been done at our borders---but wasn't.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:03 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I agree that every nation has its rise and fall. We seem to be following Rome's fate. It just seems to me that there are a lot of folks here that want to speed up the process for some reason. Perhaps they are absolute failures or simply have been taught that the USA is evil and does not deserve to continue. Puzzles the heck out of me as to why we would import or allow to sneak into the county, so many poor, uneducated workers. Bring in the Irish!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration