Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,549 times

Advertisements

I was reading that the federal government in Texas will soon charge all individuals who are caught crossing the Mexican border with a crime, instead of just processing them and sending them back behind the border, to try again tomorrow. The idea was that by giving them at least some jail time the people are actually punished and this may deter them from trying again. It may also scare some illegals from trying to get across the border because they will face prison time if caught.

Is this worth the time, effort and cost. Would you want your taxes to pay for all the prison beds that will be required as this program moves into New Mexico and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,224 times
I can"t hurt to try and I would rather my taxes go to that than their dr. pays,schooling and walfare that they do not have a right to.
Maybe If we put some of them in jail a few days before deporting them it will scare them.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,166 times
Do you have a link to this ? And yes I would like my tax dollars used if it helps to stop the illegals.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
I'd like to see mandatory jail time for illegal aliens. Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Mariposa County does it the right way with baloney sandwiches and a tent city jail in the middle of the desert. Very very cheap.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:03 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
I can"t hurt to try and I would rather my taxes go to that than their dr. pays,schooling and walfare that they do not have a right to.
Maybe If we put some of them in jail a few days before deporting them it will scare them.
You'd spend money to jail someone, but not to help them? I don't like illegal immigration, but i can't agree with that.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Do you have a link to this ? And yes I would like my tax dollars used if it helps to stop the illegals.
Thanks for asking for this, I wish more posters would challenge each other to "source" their statements, especially in the original posting. I would like to see better quality initial postings, it makes for better and more accurate discussions.

I also have another question about the original posting, it states that the Federal Govt in Texas...

It has to be one OR the other, either it is the State of Texas govt or the Federal Govt (which would apply to the whole border, not just Texas).

Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,549 times
Default Here is the link

Here is the link about the topic:

Lockup of all illegal immigrants who cross into the U.S. to expand along Texas border - International Herald Tribune

Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
This was published in the Houston Chronicle

Lockup of immigrants to expand along border | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Old 10-25-2007, 03:31 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I also have another question about the original posting, it states that the Federal Govt in Texas...

It has to be one OR the other, either it is the State of Texas govt or the Federal Govt (which would apply to the whole border, not just Texas).
Yeah, I was wondering about that myself.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,224 times
posted by; CarolinaBredChicagoan
You'd spend money to jail someone, but not to help them? I don't like illegal immigration, but i can't agree with that.

Well we have aready did the walfare thing and for some reason there not going home , so maybe throwing their butts in jail a few days before we deport them will do the trick.(also they need to go the jail or pay a fine due to breaking our laws)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration