Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,604,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That's a ridiculous generalization of an entire group of people.
Of course it's a generalization; the whole thread is. In fact, any discussion on this forum about liberals, conservatives, rich, poor etc. contain generalizations. From now on, I'll put an * with a statement at the bottom saying that I realize this does not apply to all members of the group identified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,448,357 times
the people who are selling out america now are all baby boomers so your theroy is poop

Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
the people who are selling out america now are all baby boomers so your theroy is poop
I don't disagree, but that's not relevant to the point of the thread so the response is "poop."

Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
T'aint me, and I'm a Baby Boomer. It's the RICH baby boomers, and most of us are not rich. We don't even have the means to "sell out".

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I agree!

And many old people are poorly educated about today's issues, carry a sense of entitlement, and make decisions that hurt their children and grandchildren.

Every generation could stand to learn a little bit.

Hey, defense is a natural response to offense I love my grandparents. I just don't buy into this "blame so-and-so generation." People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
But, we ARE "entitled" - why wouldn't we be? We have fought the wars and paid the taxes for generations. You will be entitled as you grow older, too.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,485,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
T'aint me, and I'm a Baby Boomer. It's the RICH baby boomers, and most of us are not rich. We don't even have the means to "sell out".
I'm curious why you associate globalism with "selling out." Do you disagree with the theory of Comparative advantage? Do you think that it doesn't apply to today's globalism?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'm curious why you associate globalism with "selling out." Do you disagree with the theory of Comparative advantage? Do you think that it doesn't apply to today's globalism?
I didn't say it. The previous person called it that.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,485,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I didn't say it. The previous person called it that.
OK.

I'm curious why you believe globalism is not good for America, or in any way reflects negatively on someone's loyalty to America. From where I'm sitting, globalism (I actually prefer to call it globalization - I think of it as an inevitable process, not an ideology) makes America a wealthier and more stable country in a wealthier and more stable world.

Do you disagree with the theory of Comparative advantage? Do you think that it doesn't apply to today's globalism?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,050,945 times
It's a theory, it hasn't yet been applied.

What's touted as 'free trade' is not unregulated, there's just a new set of controllers.

The IMF and the World Bank limit any 'comparative advantage' or disadvantage.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM

I think it depends on how you define it. I think that the markets and commerce are global and will continue to move in that direction. This is supported by technology that makes it fairly easy. Another way that people think of globalization involves submitting ourselves to the rule of some global body which is frequently seen as a threat to our sovereignty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration