Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM

186 posts, read 335,469 times

Advertisements

The man who won the seat is adamantly opposed to Amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 PM

451 posts, read 310,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I call BS on this. If you look at the ownership of these corporations, the great majority of stock is held by institutional investors, NOT simple share-holders. In other words, OTHER corporations. It's all so intertwined I'm almost certain that if you dig deeply enough you'll find that businesses own about 90% of EVERYTHING.
No, I insist, I call BS on this, those you call institutional investors,are in most part, more of the same; bulks of individuals that buy mutual funds, etc.The personalization of the word "businesses" has no place in modern finance. Less
than 10% of stocks are owned by the top excecutives of these corporations,
We have more than 100 years history of Stock Markets, however many
people can not yet understand its principles, in which case they should refrain from debating about it.

Last edited by barinnas; 03-13-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 02:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
No, I insist, I call BS on this, those you call institutional investors,are in most part, more of the same; bulks of individuals that buy mutual funds, etc.The personalization of the word "businesses" has no place in modern finance. Less
than 10% of stocks are owned by the top excecutives of these corporations,
We have more than 100 years history of Stock Markets, however many
people can not yet understand its principles, in which case they should refrain from debating about it.
Proof please............

Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,747,033 times
This same thing happened in Arizona in 2006 with J.D. Hayworth and the H.O.R. congressmen from Tuscon losing. Both were extremely anti-illegal immigrant, and they both lost in a border state. That was a huge blow for the Republicans, which to many legal immigrants the party is seen as hostile.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
This same thing happened in Arizona in 2006 with J.D. Hayworth and the H.O.R. congressmen from Tuscon losing. Both were extremely anti-illegal immigrant, and they both lost in a border state. That was a huge blow for the Republicans, which to many legal immigrants the party is seen as hostile.
Yet - JD was right and the people have seen the error of their ways.

Congressmen Mitchell is likely to be only a 1 term Congressmen

Old 03-14-2008, 09:17 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
This is something I will never understand. The illegal aliens are making life harder for the LEGAL immigrants on so many levels. If I was an immigrant that worked hard to get here THE RIGHT WAY, I would be completely anti illegal immigrant. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Maybe it's their lack of education that doesn't allow them to see cause and effect or trends? Maybe they just dont understand what life in America USED to be like? But I just cant comprehend what must be going through the LEGAL pro-illegals minds.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:56 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is something I will never understand. The illegal aliens are making life harder for the LEGAL immigrants on so many levels. If I was an immigrant that worked hard to get here THE RIGHT WAY, I would be completely anti illegal immigrant. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Maybe it's their lack of education that doesn't allow them to see cause and effect or trends? Maybe they just dont understand what life in America USED to be like? But I just cant comprehend what must be going through the LEGAL pro-illegals minds.
Interesting post AnesthesiaMD, for me it is a complex issue. First let me say my parents are 1st and 2nd generation immigrants 1 Irish and 1 Mexican (I know I am 50/50 ).

I really do believe a lot of this is scapegoating and complete hypocrisy.

First it was the American capitalist and government who allowed all of these illegals to get a stronghold here, giving them jobs, housing, car loans...etc.
This has occurred for decades. These illegals come and do some very rough jobs for the Americans and LEGAL immigrants.

Now, when America is going through a rough time we are going to turn and blame the illegals for our economic problems? We have people like Glenn Beck saying that our economic downfall is directly associated to illegal immigrats coming here and taking low-end jobs? Even if it were true, who's fault is that? The illegals, The Government, The Corporations? Wouldn't the jobs have to be open to hiring them before they would come? Wouldn't government have to allow companies to hire them? Wouldn't Americans have to elect those officials? The Egg before the Chicken.

So maybe you can see why I would think it is "uneducated" and an "American culture thing" to blame illegals for what American elected officials and American Corporations have allowed to happen. It is simply irrational to turn on these people, kick them out after we have allowed them in.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-14-2008 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-14-2008, 10:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:

Not complicated...Family and Friends. A given community will have a large collection of families all from the same village.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
If you were illegal and trying to come to this country "the right way" and you were poor, it would take more money than most of these people have and you would most likely be waiting for years to be granted the right to come to this country. A good share of these people sell everything they have to pay for a coyote to bring them across, when they are sent back they are sent back to nothing. If you were poor and you worked but could hardly feed your family and you had a chance to come here and make more money in an hour than you can make it Mexico in a day, what would you do?
I can say for a fact, if I were under those same circumstances I would do the exact same thing they do. What you never see mentioned on these forums is how many die crossing the desert to come here, so risking their life for their family they are taking a huge risk and paying a large price. I know that many will say good, one less Mexican we have to worry about, but if you lose all compassion for another human being, you have lost a lot. JMO
Sassy

Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If you were illegal and trying to come to this country "the right way" and you were poor, it would take more money than most of these people have and you would most likely be waiting for years to be granted the right to come to this country. A good share of these people sell everything they have to pay for a coyote to bring them across, when they are sent back they are sent back to nothing. If you were poor and you worked but could hardly feed your family and you had a chance to come here and make more money in an hour than you can make it Mexico in a day, what would you do?
I can say for a fact, if I were under those same circumstances I would do the exact same thing they do. What you never see mentioned on these forums is how many die crossing the desert to come here, so risking their life for their family they are taking a huge risk and paying a large price. I know that many will say good, one less Mexican we have to worry about, but if you lose all compassion for another human being, you have lost a lot. JMO
Sassy
Funny; most Mexicans, etc. are not exactly starving a la those refugees from Darfur, etc.

Morally speaking, we owe the former group nothing. As for the Darfur mess........I wish those sorry excuses for countries in most of Africa (Botswana a notable exception [they believe in the rule of law]) would step up to care of their 'own'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration