Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Eh, they would be slower and more expensive. I prefer illegals to cut my grass, they work much cheaper and harder with the threat of ICE and deportation hanging over their heads, especially these days.

We should definitely deport a bunch just for good measure but we have to keep a few around to get the real ****** jobs done.

So you openly brag about breaking the law and all because you can save a buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
40 years ago most construction workers were black or white. Unskilled immigrants drive down the cost of labor.
Because the immigrants work for less they are unskilled.

Oh.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Who would do the landscaping and cut the grass?

Who do you think were doing them before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Did they mow themselves? Commercial landscaping used to be done by Americans for a fair wage.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Short term decline but long term increase in housing prices due to increased labor costs in the construction industry.
If that were true, then why didn't the higher labor costs in the construction industry cause this 'higher long term increase" in the period before there were 3M illegals in California?

Not saying you're wrong, but this mechanism you are citing didn't seem to be in effect then, and yet it is now? I have a hard time believing that. If these effects are related to supply or demand, then they should be in force all of the time. Because that's how the laws of economic work.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who do you think were doing them before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Did they mow themselves? Commercial landscaping used to be done by Americans for a fair wage.
And some people actually did and still do their own mowing and gardening. And house cleaning.

Landscaping work wasn't just a fair wage, it was an excellent wage. During a construction boom years ago I worked for a landscaping company in the summer part time in addition to my full time job just for extra money. It was easy work for the girls, we just planted and watered flowers and had fun flirting with the young buff AMERICAN men. It was crazy good money for a few hours. I could never have foreseen what has happened now. Then again tech was also ninety nine percent Americans and companies would train kids out of high school for good paying technical jobs. America first, wtf happened.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most construction workers are union members now.
lmao...No they are not. Only commercial construction is.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
A lot of people seem to be incapable of applying basic economic principles.
indeed, mostly city-data conservatives.

i come on here and just stare in amazement at the lack of education here. I bet most of them didn't even graduate from college.

How can you expect a bunch of blue-collar laborers to understand anything about economics?

Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

i come on here and just stare in amazement at the lack of education here. I bet most of them didn't even graduate from college.

How can you expect a bunch of blue-collar laborers to understand anything about economics?
They would know more about it than anyone since they are most affected.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
[quote=le roi;50791402]indeed, mostly city-data conservatives.

How can you expect a bunch of blue-collar laborers to understand anything about economics?[/quote]

Love the condescending attitude.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Seems a bit elitist. Is Economics really such an arcane field of study that nobody but a white-collar professional could possibly have any knowledge in it?

Even if someone only had a high school education, they could still be familiar at least with the basic principles, assuming they took Economics. All of this information is covered in high school curriculum. According to some information I found, it (or a Personal Finance class, which should have much of the same basic content) is a required course in 17 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration