Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And you're not in the least bit concerned that some of these children may have been trafficked? You want to release them to the adults who brought them here without proof that they are really their parents?

If any of these kids have been trafficked, then they are better off in a shelter and separated from the adults who are trafficking them.

Once again, those who showed up at a BP checkpoint and asked for asylum aren't being separated from the children. It's those who sneaked across the border.

That was the case until quite recently. Within the last two weeks, asylum seekers' babies and very young children ARE being separated from their parents, and their parents have not been given an opportunity to explain to the children or tell them goodbye, and have not even been told where their children are being housed. A report today indicated that at one site in which women seeking asylum are waiting for their hearings, they were given slips of paper with what was supposed to be their children's names and their locations - but in at least one case, the names were incorrect. Children are being lost, record keeping is sketchy at best, and this administration has no real long-term plan for reuniting children with parents who ARE eventually granted asylum. What is going to become of the babies and tiny children who are too small to talk, who cannot tell their own or their parents' names, and who are misidentified by the authorities?

This is wrong. This is wicked. This is cruel, unkind, unjust, unchristian, and un-American. I am in disbelief that my country can officially behave in such a fashion, at the callous whim of Donald Trump, and that my supposed representatives are aligning themselves with such a policy, in opposition to the wishes of their constituents.

What is happening to my country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 PM

[quote=Annie1004;52248814]
The immigration lawyer (Gloria Valdes) on Ingram's show who is of Mexican descent, lives on the border and represents asylum seekers, is calling foul. She has visited where the 2,000 children are being kept and said they are fine.

What does Valdes's "descent" have to do with this? Does her shared ethnicity with some of the children being held somehow give her more credence? I don't think so.

And has she really "visited where (ALL of) the 2,000 children are being kept"? You do realize that the 2,000 children who have been recently separated from their parents are not all in one location, don't you? They're not even in one state. Has Valdes visited each and every one of the converted Wal-Marts and tent cities in which these children are confined, and has she personally checked on the well-being of each of the 2,000 children?

My, she must have been one busy girl, mustn't she?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Someone spotted something in the propaganda video of children crying "Mommy!" "Daddy!" Why aren't they speaking Spanish? Fake News.
I noticed that, too!

If it were real, they would have been saying "mami" and "papi".

Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I noticed that, too!

If it were real, they would have been saying "mami" and "papi".
They were.

The English you heard was the voice of the ADULT TRANSLATOR. (caps for emphasis, not shouting). It was voice-over - perhaps those who have some hearing loss could not hear the actual wails and sobs of the children, though it's hard to see how this could be possible. The tape is heart-rending.

Please see my previous post about this.

p.s. For that matter, doesn't "mami" sound exactly like "mommy"??

Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't know if you have children, but if you do and someone grabbed your kids and took them from you and put them in a detention center and fed them well and gave them clean clothes and toys do you really think that would mean they are OK? You don't think they would feel lost and abandoned, and that it might take years for them to get over that?

I swear to God I cannot understand how a person can be so in love with Trump that they will struggle to make excuses for taking babies from their mothers.
I don't know if you have children, but do you think its ok to force them to endure additional hardships so that you can game the system? Do you think risking their lives by passing up asylum in other countries is putting their welfare as a priority?

I hate Trump. I hate scammer parents even more. Parents who endanger their children for profit. These so-called asylum seekers never tried to seek asylum in Mexico or any other countries. They wanted the USA for the freebies.

That and lets talk another myth that it is all or even most children that are being separated.

Let's also talk about them not even trying to enter thru a check point.

Yeah they tried to enter illegally then when caught suddenly demand asylum.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:20 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Originally Posted by xray731
I welcome you to send a check to your representative to offset those of us who don't want to pay for illegals - start a go fund me acct - open your home to them - but do something besides complaining about the lack of others support.

2sleepy: Immigrants are positive for the US economy, including unlawful immigrants. Many unlawful immigrants pay taxes. Want them to pay more? Legalize their status. If unlawful immigrants are made lawful, agricultural and other employers won't be able to take advantage of them and there won't be an undercutting of lawful labor. There will be less incentive to immigrate for unskilled jobs if those jobs are no longer available at exploitative wages.

You never answered my question just gave me the ole liberal double talk. Have you contacted your state representative to share your concerns? ? Do you donate a large amt to charities that help these people or have you opened a go fund me acct for these children? Have you accepted these families by sponsoring them or are you fostering the children?

Most liberals talk the talk but don't walk the walk. They are armchair quarterbacks with a shoulda, coulda, woulda. If you are that upset - do something about it. I'm sorry the kids are in the middle - but it's no different than my wanting to adopt every dog in the rescues. Financially - I can't afford to do that - but I try to make life better for them and give them a chance to be adopted by supporting charities, lending a hand at shelters, directing people to the shelters - I don't just sit back and complain about it.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
No. There is no justifiable reason for traumatizing children. Something is very wrong with the White House. There are 2000 children, and their parents, and 350 million people are whining and complaining about having to provide aid because it will cost each of them a few pennies. It's absolutely disgusting. Rather than pay a few pennies, it is preferable to traumatize children.
Except ITS NOT 'A FEW PENNIES' to support these people. Its tens if not hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars a year to do so, you know money that COULD AND SHOULD be spent on ACTUAL AMERICAN CITIZENS instead of foreigners with which we have no connection or ties to.

As I've said previously, why can't people like YOU who care so much for these illegal migrants open your wallets and support them yourselves while leaving the rest of us who DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT THEM out of it? Why can't people like you open your homes and let these migrants live with you and your families indefinitely until they're able to support themselves? If people like you are willing to do that and put your money and homes where your mouths are, then we'll agree to let some of them in. Deal?

Quote:
Trump's people need to realize that when they decide to travel this summer, every country in the world is going to be very wary of what sort of people they are. They will be tolerated at best. Trump's people need to understand that these decisions will have a very long lasting negative impact.
I'm NOT a 'Trump person' and yet I can't understand why people like you can't grasp the simple concept that letting in seemingly endless amounts of poor, illegal people into your nation IS A BAD IDEA AND IS UNSUSTAINABLE.

Ask yourself why is it ALWAYS up to western countries to be the release valve for all the poor decisions made by the governments and people of these poor, broken third world countries? Why is it that when we ALWAYS hear about these migrants that are 'looking for a better life' that WE'RE ALWAYS THE ONES who are FORCED to give it to them whether we like it or not and whether we're capable of doing so or not? And also when is enough is enough? At what point is the US, Canada and every other western country are allowed to say that we can't take anymore of these people or is your idea of a solution is to let them continue to enter our nations illegally forever because to stop them from doing so would be racist and a crime against humanity? >_>

The bottom line is if western nations are the never ending dumping ground for the world's poor, then what's the incentive for these third world countries and their people to take action to improve and fix their nations when they know that we're always going to be there to be their safety net and bail them out??

Old 06-20-2018, 07:16 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times
A few items that I find rather troubling that people do not understand in the US. Instead of adhering to laws, they rather people selectively break laws that they do not like and call every a racist.

- Every country has the right to enforce it's immigration laws and policies. For the US because of the constant threat of overseas terrorism, the US has to take immigration measures to a higher level for the security of its people.

- These kids have most likely a better treatment in these facilities that in their countries.

- You know entering any country without visas or papers is ILLEGAL, so why do you do it and then get surprised when you get detained?

- Why should the American taxpayers be called racists and shoulder the cost of people entering here illegally?

- Why are we rewarding people coming here illegally (apart from people TRULY fleeing their countries fearing for their lives and not making up bogus asylum reasons)?

- Why don't we send all these illegals and their children to live with the Hollywood elites to live in their gates secure communities? They have money, surely Meryl Streep et al can afford to take care of a few families in their mansions? Hollywood, time to put up or SHUT THE HELL UP.

- Enforcing laws doesn't mean we are racists (some racists, however, do exist). If we don't want to enforce laws, why don't we let people who shoplift out of jail, why arrest DUI individuals?. LAws are here for a reason.

- US cannot keep on taking that many people. We are going broke already. Think about a total cultural transformation. Most people who come here do not assimilate to the American culture, many years later form a group to then impose.

- Did I say, do NOT break a country's law and expect no repercussions?

The Us does not owe anyone anything. Love your country and do not selectively call bigotry or racism the minute your liberal mind doesn't like something. I'm not a Trump guy by any means, the guy sometimes talks jibberish, but so was Obama and a lot of politicians out there. Trump is enforcing the law ( i give him that at least).

Old 06-20-2018, 07:21 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I think if they really knew how much public schools dumb down the youth of our nation, our future, they would. As it is, those who already know are at a HUGE advantage because they can then ACT on that info. Their kids will be rich. Meanwhile, (insert first name, last name, here) will wonder why they always have to struggle so hard, why they didn't land on easy street.

Oh, and by the way, 94% of teachers unions' donations go to Democrats. 94%.
Totally, depends on the public school. I have worked in public schools in suburban Boston and in Georgia.
No dumbing down in the northern school. And yes, probably would have to send my kids to private school down here if I wanted them to learn how to think.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I don't know if you have children, but do you think its ok to force them to endure additional hardships so that you can game the system? Do you think risking their lives by passing up asylum in other countries is putting their welfare as a priority?
I hate Trump. I hate scammer parents even more. Parents who endanger their children for profit. These so-called asylum seekers never tried to seek asylum in Mexico or any other countries. They wanted the USA for the freebies.
That and lets talk another myth that it is all or even most children that are being separated.
Let's also talk about them not even trying to enter thru a check point.
Yeah they tried to enter illegally then when caught suddenly demand asylum.
Game the system? These people could cross at a number of places and enter illegally and remain undetected for a long time, it seems to me like they are trying to follow the rules that we have set out for asylum seekers. Trump is not allowing them through ports of entry don't you even watch the news? Asylum law still allows them to go between ports of entry but that subjects them to arrest for a misdemeanor and that is the excuse that DHS is using to separate the kids from their families.

There are now over 70 kids a day being separated from their parents so please don't try to brush this off like it's no big deal, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration