Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,595,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I wouldn't expect you to recognize the struggle that the Mexicans and Filipinos went through in the 60s.

Im sure you had it as rough as the Mexican and Filipino workers.

Even though Im pretty sure Fresno doesn't top off at 90, and the Coachella and Imperial Valleys way more than that, I'll let it slide because you don't seem to be very aware of the plight and the civil rights movement of the workers back then. I'm sure you dont care.

But you have every right to disregard what other people went through to make a living. Because I'm sure you had to raise a family going through what they went through, so you completely understand.
When you talk about the 'civil rights movement' back then, you realize that it, and the UFW, were led by an American-Mexican named Cesar Chavez, right? I would assume that you ALSO realize that Mr. Chavez was a BIG FAN of the INS, and called them on illegal aliens EVERY chance he got? It seems that even then, some people realized that illegal immigration lowered wages and working conditions for LEGAL workers.

God Bless Cesar Chavez!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
God Bless Cesar Chavez!!
I used to work with a guy who had actually been a 'cohort' of Cesar Chavez way back in the early days..helping him organize, printing up flyers, working as a driver, etc....occasionally getting into 'scrapes' with the big growers and their 'goons'. Just as you say, Chavez certainly was a proud Mexican-American..and JUST as certain, his dislike for illegals' 'scabbing' was well-known. Chavez, as much as anybody, could see in his everyday work that illegals served to "undo" all the progress his UFW had worked so hard to gain.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,756,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
When you talk about the 'civil rights movement' back then, you realize that it, and the UFW, were led by an American-Mexican named Cesar Chavez, right? I would assume that you ALSO realize that Mr. Chavez was a BIG FAN of the INS, and called them on illegal aliens EVERY chance he got? It seems that even then, some people realized that illegal immigration lowered wages and working conditions for LEGAL workers.

God Bless Cesar Chavez!!

Your point?
And something tells me the only thing you respect Cesar Chavez for is his taking action against illegals, which he did to prevent farmers from hiring scabs to interrupting the strikes.

God Bless Cesar Chavez, indeed!

Such is your hatred of illegals, right?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect you to recognize the struggle that the Mexicans and Filipinos went through in the 60s.

Im sure you had it as rough as the Mexican and Filipino workers.

Even though Im pretty sure Fresno doesn't top off at 90, and the Coachella and Imperial Valleys way more than that, I'll let it slide because you don't seem to be very aware of the plight and the civil rights movement of the workers back then. I'm sure you dont care.

But you have every right to disregard what other people went through to make a living. Because I'm sure you had to raise a family going through what they went through, so you completely understand.
Oh back off!

I'm so freakin' sick and tired of your condescending attitude toward me and anybody else who doesn't happen to be Mexican, or some other variety of Hispanic (Filipinos not withstanding), I could barf.

You have no idea of what my life has been like, no idea of where I come from, or what I've done or or what I've been through and I certainly have no desire to spread it all over a public forum. But suffice it to say that I have not lived a life of leisure. My siblings and I spent many years of our young lives wondering where our next meal was coming from. My parents were extremely hard working people--caring people who took in each and every stray kid that came along. You have no clue as to the number of people of every shape and color that I still call my sisters or my brothers today. We had love, but we never had money.

Hispanics are not the only people who have ever had it rough and it's about g*ddamn time you climbed down off of your high horse and realized it. Hispanics were not the only people struggling for civil rights in the 1960's although I realize that it behooves you to overlook the immense struggle that African Americans went through in this country just to be recognized as human beings.

My brother-in-law's parents (Japanese Americans) were rounded up and interred for the duration of World War II. My former neighbor in California is a 90 year old survivor of Dachau. I have cousins still living on the Kiowa-Apache reservation in Oklahoma. The last five years of my life is the first time in my life since I left my husband that I have not had to work 18 hours a day or more on my feet just to keep a roof over my children's heads. Have you ever had to live in a homeless shelter, stuffing what money you had in your underwear at night because people would try to roll you while you slept? I have, but I pulled myself out of that hell hole. It's about time that you grew up and realized that it's freakin' tough all over.

I didn't work in the fields for a bloody lark. I worked in the fields because I had to, back breaking work for 12 hours a day and there were quite a few hardworking Hispanic people working right beside me. There were also quite a few hard working Black people as well as hard working White people. It's about damn time you realized that Hispanics are not the only hard working people in this country. There are millions of folks of every race, creed, and color in this country who well know the value of a hard day's work.

You can desist with the thinly veiled patronizing posts disguised in quasi-educational tones. I'm sure I know just as much, if not more than you do about the history of this country. American history is my minor, so you can spare me your oh-so edifying lectures.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh back off!

I'm so freakin' sick and tired of your condescending attitude toward me and anybody else who doesn't happen to be Mexican, or some other variety of Hispanic (Filipinos not withstanding), I could barf.

You have no idea of what my life has been like, no idea of where I come from, or what I've done or or what I've been through and I certainly have no desire to spread it all over a public forum. But suffice it to say that I have not lived a life of leisure. My siblings and I spent many years of our young lives wondering where our next meal was coming from. My parents were extremely hard working people--caring people who took in each and every stray kid that came along. You have no clue as to the number of people of every shape and color that I still call my sisters or my brothers today. We had love, but we never had money.

Hispanics are not the only people who have ever had it rough and it's about g*ddamn time you climbed down off of your high horse and realized it. Hispanics were not the only people struggling for civil rights in the 1960's although I realize that it behooves you to overlook the immense struggle that African Americans went through in this country just to be recognized as human beings.

My brother-in-law's parents (Japanese Americans) were rounded up and interred for the duration of World War II. My former neighbor in California is a 90 year old survivor of Dachau. I have cousins still living on the Kiowa-Apache reservation in Oklahoma. The last five years of my life is the first time in my life since I left my husband that I have not had to work 18 hours a day or more on my feet just to keep a roof over my children's heads. Have you ever had to live in a homeless shelter, stuffing what money you had in your underwear at night because people would try to roll you while you slept? I have, but I pulled myself out of that hell hole. It's about time that you grew up and realized that it's freakin' tough all over.

I didn't work in the fields for a bloody lark. I worked in the fields because I had to, back breaking work for 12 hours a day and there were quite a few hardworking Hispanic people working right beside me. There were also quite a few hard working Black people as well as hard working White people. It's about damn time you realized that Hispanics are not the only hard working people in this country. There are millions of folks of every race, creed, and color in this country who well know the value of a hard day's work.

You can desist with the thinly veiled patronizing posts disguised in quasi-educational tones. I'm sure I know just as much, if not more than you do about the history of this country. History is my minor, so spare me your oh-so edifying lectures.

In your mind, defending hispanics is the same as only being FOR hispanics.

This forum, whether you guys admit it or not, is about HISPANIC immigrants.

Thats what we're talking about.
I see you as an apologist for everybody EXCEPT Hispanics, and I think its hypocritical.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:

I see you as an apologist for everybody EXCEPT Hispanics, and I think its hypocritical.
Where does it state that the Immigration Forum on City-Data is for 'Hispanic' people only?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Where does it state that the Immigration Forum on City-Data is for 'Hispanic' people only?
Where does it state its about illegals?

Somehow browsing through the threads and posts, I get the feeling its about illegal Hispanics.

The post about Koreans and the 2 posts about Irishmen and the one post criticizing Somalians kind of pale in comparison to the thousands of other posts about Mexicans.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,443,714 times
Quote:

Somehow browsing through the threads and posts, I get the feeling its about illegal Hispanics.

The post about Koreans and the 2 posts about Irishmen and the one post criticizing Somalians kind of pale in comparison to the thousands of other posts about Mexicans.
The forum is about "Illegal Immigrants"..........but you already know that.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:

Your point is well taken and its why I try not to call out any ethnic or racial background. That said the massive majority of illegals are in fact hispanic and those having come from Mexico. So to be fair its understandable that some might focus on mexicans.
If my damn is leaking I would focus on the biggest hole first. This is why I am in favor of securing our southern border. It for me isn't about the race of people but about containing the largest source.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Quote:

Well, my first generation American brother in law (son of LEGAL immigrants from Mexico) will certainly be upset to hear that...as will my two Mexican American nieces and and my nephew. They had no idea that their Auntie Kele was a closet racist. Oh my God! Wait until my sister finds out that I harbor secret hypocritical thoughts toward her children....

Man, I forsee a big ol' cat fight in the offing.....

Last edited by Kele; 09-24-2008 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration