Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
Many have the ability to speak some English. They just have no intent on doing so. Simple answer? Don't talk to them. Refuse to do a thing for them unless they learn the language.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,978 times
It is ironic that you people are mentioning the French because I doubt the French would go for the idea that their country caters to two languages. THEY'D FLIP THEIR WIG!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
FOR THE MOST PART, the only times us Americans ever have to deal with people that do not speak english is when we are dealing with them for cheap services. Ala, a combo meal is only $6.
And it so pleases me to see that there are 45 pages of this bull**** dedicated to people who have nothing better to ***** about than Paco messing up your burger by not understanding you when you said, "hold the tomatoes," and thus waisting the 4minutes of your unproductive life in watching American Idol.
Beleive me fat America, you have bigger things to worry about when scarfing down a 700 + calorie combo meal that has so much fat it would make Rosie O'Donnel blush.

Why don't you stick to something you understand like sports.
And for having an BA in liberal arts the spelling is not to bad......

And why cant you elucidate us further on what we have to worry about other than your ruling the world..........I'm curious.
Besides and as an aside....I dont really like Rosie Odonnel nor tomatoes

Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,934 times
Default Bothers me more when they get mad at me...

I come into contact with immigrants literally on a daily basis. Yes, it does bother me when people speak to me in Spanish, especially after I have made it clear to them that I speak English, not Spanish. (I say Spanish because the overwhelming majority of immigrants in Phoenix speak Spanish)

But the thing that REALLY bothers me, is when an immigrant (legal OR otherwise) gets irritated with me because I don't understand what HE is trying to say, due to HIS inability (or refusal?) to learn and speak English. I've had it happen. Plenty of times. I've witnessed people become angry, wave me off, roll their eyes, etc, because they were attempting to speak Spanish to me or someone I was with, and couldn't communicate because they didn't know any English.

So why are these people getting angry with me for not knowing the language of the country they left to come to this country, where the common spoken language is English? It doesn't make sense.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKofAZ View Post
So why are these people getting angry with me for not knowing the language of the country they left to come to this country, where the common spoken language is English? It doesn't make sense.
Because this culture (here...the modern secular "First World" culture of the US) includes a deep and pervasive streak of societal guilt. It's no secret, it's well-known, and this "guilt complex" is the very reason why we even HAVE an "immigration" debate at all.

The whole WORLD senses this guilt...(you can 'smell it a block away').....and while to us, it might seem that this 'guilt' is an outward sign of 'good character', or that we 'want to do the right thing', and that we feel 'sorry' for others, and that we acknowledge that we're better off than many other....that's just OUR interpretation. In the Third World, life is tough, rough, and harsh, and there's little patience for such self-critical introspection. In MOST of the world, one who shows signs of 'guilt' may just as well have a 'kick-me' sign taped across his rear end. In MOST cultures, "guilt' doen't make one look like a 'nice, thoughtful, caring guy'..it makes him look like a whining 'sissy', and invites abuse. In the Third World, 'crybabies' don't get hugged and comforted...they get teased and mocked...or beaten up. And that's how Americans today are perceived..as 'crybabies'. Many of us agree with that perception.

And that's how we look to some 'newcomers'...a society of folks who have lost confidence in their own goodness, who've now made it one of life's priorities to 'beat up on themselves', and who look at controlling their borders as "hate and xenophobia".

It's a surreal, fantastic scenario, and ONE of its results is in the way we're now percieved..as a nation of effete, self-doubting 'sissies', who DESERVE to be insulted....and one of the ways to 'insult' us is just as you've described....by making us FEEL it's our "job" to accomodate other people's languages....and that if we DON'T do that, we're stupid, racist, or 'bad" (thus the 'eye roll', thus the sense of disgust that you spoke of)....and, as can be seen on this forum, in many cases, IT WORKS, and we 'buy into it'.....Check out the amount of guilt on this forum, if you doubt me.

The hard brutal reality of life in the Third World is that "NOBODY respects you if you don't respect yourself". (I happen to think that it's ALSO true here...but that we've just forgotten it....)

Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
My 'White guilt' died a long time ago---------once I realized how much I was being fleeced by a bunch of lazy scam artists (of any race/ethnicity) who think the world owes 'em something.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
I don't care about them speaking Spanish around their family and friends. But it is when they use it in order to conceal the conversations when they insult someone in front of their face.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Why are we ONLY complaining about the Spanish...and not the Cajuns in Louisiana...or the Pennsylvania Dutch?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why are we ONLY complaining about the Spanish...and not the Cajuns in Louisiana...or the Pennsylvania Dutch?
Because there arent a significant number of those groups that are illegal aliens making them a bit more tolerable. And those groups make up what, .00001% of the country? Mexicans make up 13%, Spanish Speakers make up 8%. Big difference.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Almost all of the above are US citizens-----and, are rather rare as it is.

Besides: what does one refer to Mennonites who were born/raised in Mexico but are of 100% 'White' Euro heritage and speak their German (?) dialect? To me they are just as Hispanic/Mexican as a Mestizo from Nayarit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration