Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times

Advertisements

This is actually a positive thing (some people not knowing english)...my brother is a doctor and he actually learned spanish because he needed to talk to patients...without this he would be stuck in HS spanish, now he's almost fluent!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Too bad some hispanics dont use it. Many hispanic women have WAY to many kids and they cant afford them. They have something like twice as many kids as white parents do.
A significant proportion of hispanics are white...what do THEY do???

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Indians are smart. You don't see them resisting the learning of English. They'll even brag that their country is now the biggest English speaking country in the world.
The proportion of Indians speaking english is not as large as you think:
List of countries by English-speaking population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Out of those numbers, most know only a few greeting and basic words...i learned french in HS, but the only things i remember now are maybe a few phrases....

Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM

273 posts, read 249,142 times
Come over to my house and I'll introduce you to my neighbor, Jose. He stands half naked in his livingroom window and stairs at us all day long...and can't speak a lick of english after living here 30 years!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:34 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times
Quote:
Many hispanic women have WAY to many kids and they cant afford them
Most Mexican women, esp in Mexico, would prefer to have fewer children. But Mexican males promote large families because it makes them appear more macho.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
No wonder he's just a baker...that's pretty stupid turning away paying customers...
Bakers make good money, actually. And there are some customers that it isn't cost effective to have. PROBLEM customers are not welcome.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Most Mexican women, esp in Mexico, would prefer to have fewer children. But Mexican males promote large families because it makes them appear more macho.
Agricultural families tend to be large. It equates to more hands in the fields. Many hands make light work.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Agricultural families tend to be large. It equates to more hands in the fields. Many hands make light work.
Exactly. Mexican culture is very work oriented, and traditionally, lots of children means more help.

Plus, Mexicans are very family oriented as well. Culturally, Mexican children do a lot for their parents. Thats why many have grandparents living with them, because theyd rather have them home than in A Home.

There are lots of other cultures that have large families for the same reasons. Many cultures that embrace Catholicism seem to have large families as well.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Exactly. Mexican culture is very work oriented, and traditionally, lots of children means more help.

Plus, Mexicans are very family oriented as well. Culturally, Mexican children do a lot for their parents. Thats why many have grandparents living with them, because theyd rather have them home than in A Home.

There are lots of other cultures that have large families for the same reasons. Many cultures that embrace Catholicism seem to have large families as well.
Actually; most so-called 'Catholic' countries now have below replacement birthrates, Ireland, Italy and Spain all come to mind.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

Large families are fine. However, people shouldn’t have more children than they can afford to support. If you’re living in abject poverty; why on earth would you continue to have children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration