Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Back to the original question...

It doesn't irritate me a bit; why on earth should it?
I have no problem with a legal immigrant's inability to understand English when they first arrive here. Many political refugees from Sudan, etc. match that description.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Again, why on earth should the language another person chooses to speak irritate me? I have no way of knowing whether they are here "legally" or not, short of flat out asking them. And I'm certainly not so culturally illiterate that I merely assume that anyone who speaks espanol is automatically...illegal.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:11 PM

451 posts, read 310,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Wow, you guys are absolutely insane and a little delusional. I apologize for trying to share my beliefs and maybe inject some logic into this otherwise rationally stagnant topic. I've got better things to do than try to have a real conversation with people who won't listen to reason.
In the ever-relavant words of Eric Cartman-
"Screwyou guys, I'm goin' home."
I will surely miss you, at least you tried to make some balance against the hate and ignorance that prevails here, good luck my friend.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I'm not Xa'at, but you're welcome to come up and join us in the Alaska forum, barinnas.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:17 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not Xa'at, but you're welcome to come up and join us in the Alaska forum, barinnas.
Oh man, I just sent her a pm saying the exact same thing!

Great minds think alike, right...?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:36 PM

43 posts, read 110,742 times
Want to live in America? Learn the language or get out - PERIOD

Funny, Mexico only allows someone 6 months to habla the espanol

We are we Americans being such ******* about enforcing our laws, and defending our way of life & culture???

Screw being ploitically correct! Our Country, Our history, Our traditions, Our Laws, Our Flag & pride!

Do you meant to say that all members of the armed forces who have (including myself) served / died to defend America wasted themselves so Mexicans could over run us??

Again, not a race issue - It's about American Law & Sovereignty

America owes them nothing but they owe us EVERYTHING

Old 05-10-2008, 09:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Immigrants' inabilities to speak English cause angels to cry out in agony and orphans to develop brain tumors and puppies' heads to explode. So yes, it bothers me, because unlike most of the world's selfish people I actually CARE what happens to puppies and orphans, especially puppies because sometimes orphans become evil immigrants who can't speak English, thereby perpetuating the vicious cycle of suffering.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdatGenesis View Post

We are we Americans being such ******* about enforcing our laws, and defending our way of life & culture???

Screw being ploitically correct! Our Country, Our history, Our traditions, Our Laws, Our Flag & pride!

Do you meant to say that all members of the armed forces who have (including myself) served / died to defend America wasted themselves so Mexicans could over run us??

This attitude weirds me out. We shouldn't be against immigrants who can't speak English because of some weird hyper-patriotic "we're better than you, mine mine mine mine" playground nationalism, we should be against immigrants who can't speak English because it's the only way to save the puppies and orphans.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdatGenesis View Post

Ask our #1 Traitor, uh, 'Commander In Chief' why the borders are not properly secured and why the Patriot Act is not being enforced by the same token.

In other words; Marine, I agree with you line for line.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 PM

451 posts, read 310,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Ask our #1 Traitor, uh, 'Commander In Chief' why the borders are not properly secured and why the Patriot Act is not being enforced by the same token.

In other words; Marine, I agree with you line for line.
Our next president Hon B.Obama, will continue respecting the constitution's freedom of speech, so that we can continue expressing ourselves in whatever way we choose including whatever language.
With our ethnic groups rapidly growing into the majority, this is not going to change, so, adapt, or leave my country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration