Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

Yes, Mexico official language is SPANISH and I can attest to the fact that grade school children in Mexico City Public schools were learning English 20 yrs ago, as I would find some of their school work discarded on the front sidewalk of our house. They were learning to print English words and spell the same. That does show some desire of the govmt to have English taught. I was approached to help some people learn/converse in English study group with pay, but declined as I did not want to be deported in case I was reported to the authorities. Steve

Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I do advocate English only for the USA.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here; but, Mexico's official language is Spanish.

And SOME of those SPanish words have found themselves in American English.

Try getting a tortilla, or taco...without speaking Spanish. You sure can't get "the whole enchilada" without Spanish. If we get rid of Spanish, how many towns will we have to rename?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you considered asking your agency for housekeepers who already speak English? I am assuming you are hiring your help legally - there are housekeepers out there who speak English too.
I don't really ask them to fill up I-9 forms when I hire my housekeepers or the guy who cuts my lawn. Besides, my neighbor who uses Molly Maid has a hard time with the Spanish speaking ladies they send as well, at a 40% premium in cost. They speak English, just not enough for the "language" necessary for their trade, IMO.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I don't really ask them to fill up I-9 forms when I hire my housekeepers or the guy who cuts my lawn. Besides, my neighbor who uses Molly Maid has a hard time with the Spanish speaking ladies they send as well, at a 40% premium in cost. They speak English, just not enough for the "language" necessary for their trade, IMO.
Thats the problem. It is their convinence, not the customers. But American's are fine with it apparently.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And SOME of those SPanish words have found themselves in American English.

Try getting a tortilla, or taco...without speaking Spanish. You sure can't get "the whole enchilada" without Spanish. If we get rid of Spanish, how many towns will we have to rename?
Try again.

individual words and phrases tend to become part of English or any other language as time goes on.

Modern German is different than even the German from 1918 (I am referring to plattdeutsch AKA High German admittedly)........

Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Try again.

individual words and phrases tend to become part of English or any other language as time goes on.

Modern German is different than even the German from 1918 (I am referring to plattdeutsch AKA High German admittedly)........
So you admit that there ARE Spanish words in "our" English. Thank you. So...what's the big deal?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,405 times
Vietnamese are the most impolite, inconsiderate, disrespectful Asians I've ever met. They assumed all Asian-looking folks are Vietnamese and speak Vietnamese to them. (Their excuse: "You look like Vietnamese." Is is too much trouble for them to ask first??) Just about every encounter I've had with Vietnamese is like that. Never (and I mean NEVER) had that problem with Chinese, Koreans or Japanese. That's why I have a very negative opinion of them. It never pays to ASSume.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Vietnamese are the most impolite, inconsiderate, disrespectful Asians I've ever met. They assumed all Asian-looking folks are Vietnamese and speak Vietnamese to them. (Their excuse: "You look like Vietnamese." Is is too much trouble for them to ask first??) Just about every encounter I've had with Vietnamese is like that. Never (and I mean NEVER) had that problem with Chinese, Koreans or Japanese. That's why I have a very negative opinion of them. It never pays to ASSume.
And the irony is that many, if not most Vietnamese people are actually of Chinese stock---------that was told to me by a person from Vietnam.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So you admit that there ARE Spanish words in "our" English. Thank you. So...what's the big deal?
The word I itallicized in the post you quoted was individual--------not whole sentences let alone paragraphs.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,405 times
Quote:
And the irony is that many, if not most Vietnamese people are actually of Chinese stock
Not the good part of the stock, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration