Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Great! I agree we need to focus on addressing our own problems, not importing someone else's. Get the illegals out and let's use the money and effort we spend on them to help American residents of inner cities. Working to solve the problems endemic to our inner cities should keep us tied up for quite a while. We need to tell Guatemala, Honduras and the biggest offender, Mexico, that they will have to take care of their own citizens for a change because we are busy helping people living in poverty in the US.

Orrrrr we could get out of Iraq. I think thats a lot of money right there that could be applied to our cities. So far we're at $528,000,000,000.

I hate to go off topic on a completely different controversy, but I think there's things that are more costly to the American people (in taxes and lives) than illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
How's that been going?

Applying RICO laws to street gangs has been doing a fine job of putting more gangmembers in prison where they become more dangerous.

Are you implying that with no immigrants, America would have successfully eradicated the gang problem?

Either way, crime has gone much lower than the last decade.
Of course not! We will always have criminals. However, if we rid ourselves of illegal criminals, we will have less criminal behavior to contend with. Would it be easier and less expensive to provide drug rehab for your 1 child, or to be responsible for your child and 10 neighborhood children? It’s not rocket science.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM

252 posts, read 1,127,968 times
Quote:
Once someone throws out the term "reconquista", they lose all seriousness in my eyes.

Why then, why don't you call it what it is. Isn't it what they're attempting? Don't you listen to Cucuy in the morning?

BTW, didn't you notice the smiley?

You've been debunked over and over. You just saying "why worry about illegal problems when the same problem already exists" question 10 different ways has been est illustrated by Benicar's post just before this one.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
Why then, why don't you call it what it is. Isn't it what they're attempting? Don't you listen to Cucuy in the morning?

BTW, didn't you notice the smiley?

You've been debunked over and over. You just saying "why worry about illegal problems when the same problem already exists" question 10 different ways has been est illustrated by Benicar's post just before this one.
Nobody's been debunked since most of the stuff coming from both sides is opinion and speculation.

The only thing debunked is the use of sites who's facts are clearly false or taken out of context.

I think you just like to say "debunked", and then add a smiley so it makes you seem more snappy.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,968 times
Quote:
Nobody's been debunked since most of the stuff coming from both sides is opinion and speculation.

The only thing debunked is the use of sites who's facts are clearly false or taken out of context.

I think you just like to say "debunked", and then add a smiley so it makes you seem more snappy.

True, stats are stats, depending on where its coming from.

If you'd like, I can give you physical addresses where day laborers congregate, where shoppers are harrassed, where they loiter & litter.

Should I save the various auto parts & food wrappers they leave behind on my lot?

Should I direct you to my wife's medical office or my friends hospital where he sometimes works in the ER dept, they can let you know the number of undocumented patients recieving medical assistance?

Should I have you ask my numerous LAPD friends who are handcuffed in dealing with potential illegal persons they have to deal with?

Should I direct you to LAPD OPG where the process for recovering cars is much easier and cheaper for illegals than it is for fully licensed and insured cars and why that is?

Do you want to see my neighbor harboring transient migrants, a family per room, a family in a decrepid trailer in the yard, hosting parties after midnight?

should i stop?

These are merely my experiences you can classify as "opinions" as being less worthy than those "stats" we've already discussed.

The smiley was for that post I found to be a humorous response to you. Humor in why we seem to disagree on the cause of the crap the city is becoming.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,480,328 times
Quote:
Orrrrr we could get out of Iraq. I think thats a lot of money right there that could be applied to our cities. So far we're at $528,000,000,000.

I hate to go off topic on a completely different controversy, but I think there's things that are more costly to the American people (in taxes and lives) than illegal immigration.
Yes, you are going completely off topic, but interjecting the Iraq war into the discussion of illegal immigration is not uncommon.
In my observation, the people who are opposed to illegal immigration typically present the reasons they are opposed and data to back it up ( which is often deemed 'unacceptable' by those on the other side of the aisle). There is a long list of reasons why they should not be here and should not be given citizenship, but few of you ever seem to present concrete reasons as to why they should be.
So no dancing around the subject, what are the reasons, backed up with facts, that you feel illegal immigration should be defended. And 'the gringo stole their land' does not count as a reason.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:

How was it debunked? Because YOU disagree with the contents of a site? When did you become the arbiter of fact or credible journalism? Well, I guess you would also consider the New York Times and the Wash Post as being less than credible sources, given their propensity for opinionated left-wing journalism. Oh….but that’s right…. you agree with them, so their info is the gospel.

BTW, unless I have a browser malfunction, the link you posted: Obama and the hip-hop problem (OneNewsNow.com) is not remotely related to Obama and Hip Hop; it’s actually…..“Time To Compromise on Gun Control”

However, the following link from the New York Times does relate to Obama and Hip Hop.

Hip-Hop Infiltrates 08 Campaign - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

If you’re going to post a link to debunk me; at least be honest. Then again, honesty and fair play aren't exactly staples of pro-illegal behavior.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,608,304 times
Back to topic: anyone posting who's actually from Los Angeles (and is not super-wealthy nor related to illegals) will vouch for the myriad problems caused by the neverending influx of illegals. The pro-criminals tend to remain anyone for whom the problem remains an abstract.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times
Quote:

Actually.....we can't. You seem to be operating on the assumption that the US has an unlimited supply of money. It doesn't. We are broke. The Iraq war is being run on credit.
Let me make it even more clear for you: We leave Iraq tomorrow this country will not suddenly have a 528 trillion dollar surplus, that is just less money we will owe to the Chinese who holds our debt. This country is bleeding out financially, and we can no longer carry the debts of illegal aliens by paying for their health care or their childrens education. And that is the financial bottom line.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Back to topic: anyone posting who's actually from Los Angeles (and is not super-wealthy nor related to illegals) will vouch for the myriad problems caused by the neverending influx of illegals. The pro-criminals tend to remain anyone for whom the problem remains an abstract.
Ive lived much of life between San Diego, LA, and other border areas. I am also not related to any illegals that I know of. Youre just assuming that anyone who isn't Mexican or a businessman agrees with you, and thats not the case.

Its a hot issue that the people are very split on.

Last edited by amc760; 04-29-2008 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration