Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 AM

172 posts, read 309,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
What is being taught in schools depends on who you are and where you go to school. The US History that I was exposed to doesn't exist anymore.

Inner city schools have a different focus than any suburban school I've ever taught at. It's all about mutliculturalism. Permeates everything, including English. Very little about anything or anyone white. Glorification of minorities. Even the establishment of the country, national holidays, and the civil war have a minority slant. (I never knew a black man invented the lawn mower until I moved to Houston. Who knew?) Whole different culture. And then there's all the Day fo the Dead stuff from Mexico....

You're becoming as boring as RedWingsFan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 03:57 AM

196 posts, read 768,153 times
Yes, I know from my grandmother that the Irish immigrants couldn't rent a room in NYC . In a catholic high school in NJ a relative of mine was asked what he was doing there because his parents were from another Country. What was that about? And they did in fact come through Ellis Island. That's all in the past because they all overcame their difficulties.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
There are state standards of what has to be taught. But the standards are minimal. You are correct that history depends on the state, district, and school.

At my high school in the city of Houston (which is operated by Houston ISD), U.S. History covers everything from the 1500s to the modern day. See, in regular U.S. History classes in the state of Texas, kids start from the Reconstruction; the U.S. History from the 1500s to the Reconstruction is taught in the 8th grade at Texas middle schools.

However, our school only has AP U.S. History Classes. Since the AP test covers everything from the 1500s to the modern day, the class content reflects this.

I got a "5" on the AP U.S. History exam. I'm still waiting for my SAT Subject Test scores - U.S. History was one I took

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
What is being taught in schools depends on who you are and where you go to school. The US History that I was exposed to doesn't exist anymore.

Inner city schools have a different focus than any suburban school I've ever taught at. It's all about mutliculturalism. Permeates everything, including English. Very little about anything or anyone white. Glorification of minorities. Even the establishment of the country, national holidays, and the civil war have a minority slant. (I never knew a black man invented the lawn mower until I moved to Houston. Who knew?) Whole different culture. And then there's all the Day fo the Dead stuff from Mexico....

Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
your so right The liberal politicians say the illegals do the work that americans refused to do, but that is a total lie. the only reason the mexicans get these jobs is because these greedy companies pay them below minimum wage and under the table. Americans would gladly do the work and the companies know this. They would have to pay them more and report their wages to the gov't. The sheeple of this country need to realize this country is not staying alive because of the illegals. We are drowning partly because of the illegals. the other reason is because Obama refuses to do what's right and help this country. Instead he's giving handouts to other countries and illegals. he doesn't give a damn about america. these people need open their eyes and see the truth about what's happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration