U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Reputation: 5539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When you say tactless things you leave the door open for scrutiny. Especially a guy who is known to say very racially controversial things.

Honestly, if he were talking about George Bush I don't think he would have thought up the words cotton picker.
The guy is MARRIED to a Mexican woman, if I'm not mistaken... Correct? Mach, I really believe you are reaching for straws here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Reputation: 5539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well obviously I am not the only one who deems it racist:

Urban Dictionary: cotton-picker

There are your 2 definitions, which one has the most votes UP and DOWN?
From you're own link.


A cotton-picker is any person, regardless of race, who picks cotton.
Many white people and Hispanics were cotton-pickers in the rural South. I am a white woman, born and raised in Arkansas but now living in the North, married to an architect. I picked cotton in the 1950's for spending money, along with my peers. I am proud of the fact and have a tendancy to brag about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Reputation: 5539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Anyways I don't watch Lou Dobbs.
Why not? If you are so quick to judge someone without listening to their opinion isn't that a little close minded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM
 
35 posts, read 53,815 times
Reputation: 11
Unchecked Patriotism can be dangerous. If we aren't aware to what ends that patriotism is being used by those in power, we can easily be fooled. IE USS Maine, Iraq War, and so many other instances where governments used "patriotism" to wage war and cover up lies. I call this false patriotism as it serves the interest of the few, not the many.

Patriotism is a cover word, in my opinion for doing whatever you want to do without having to be socially accountable. Patriots bombed, shot at, assualted mosques post 9/11 as if they all were terrorists. Here's a couple quotes to ponder

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. ~William Shakespeare

It is the patriotic duty of every man to lie for his country.
Author: Alfred Adler

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.
Charles De Gualle

Lou Dobbs Watch-
TheTechRevolution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Reputation: 6264
Please don't advocate open borders and then condescendingly lecture me on patriotism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Close/lock at least our southern border; bring back the pre 1965 immigration quotas, really crack down on the illegals, no birthright citizenship for future Anchor Babies (assuming that both parents are here illegally), ban race/ethnicity based Affirmative Action and mandate the use of English only for all official business with the exception of public health/safety concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,215 posts, read 7,605,444 times
Reputation: 2973
Lou is not racist. I am sick and tired of people playing the race card just to get their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliedvideo View Post
Unchecked Patriotism can be dangerous. If we aren't aware to what ends that patriotism is being used by those in power, we can easily be fooled. IE USS Maine, Iraq War, and so many other instances where governments used "patriotism" to wage war and cover up lies. I call this false patriotism as it serves the interest of the few, not the many.

Patriotism is a cover word, in my opinion for doing whatever you want to do without having to be socially accountable. Patriots bombed, shot at, assualted mosques post 9/11 as if they all were terrorists. Here's a couple quotes to ponder

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. ~William Shakespeare

It is the patriotic duty of every man to lie for his country.
Author: Alfred Adler

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.
Charles De Gualle
I believe we could ALL provide OUR definition of patriotism……some positive, some negative. The fact that these men are famous does not make them arbiters; thus, their “definition” holds no more water than Joe Blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Close/lock at least our southern border; bring back the pre 1965 immigration quotas, really crack down on the illegals, no birthright citizenship for future Anchor Babies (assuming that both parents are here illegally), ban race/ethnicity based Affirmative Action and mandate the use of English only for all official business with the exception of public health/safety concerns.

Here, here, I lift my bottle of water in a toast and I drink to all that you have said. All hail AZ Bear.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciWE...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
 
35 posts, read 53,815 times
Reputation: 11
Its good to know the Lou has brought together his racist minions. An apple is an Apple. and a lot of you here are racists.

Analyzing the depiction of race on the Lou Dobbs show is not playing the race card. The phrase "playing the race card" is used to discount any study that analyzes race. Ignoring race is a white man's privilege. Ignoring race benefits the white man. I don't gain anything from doing this, I simply want to know more about how the show depicts race. Thats it. I want to extrapolate an argument from the facts. That's it. There's no "race card" here.

Patriotism is a nationalistic feeling that is rallied up when a nations seeks to go on a killing spree. Read your history. That I can certianly argue and provide evidence for.

Lou Dobbs may be racist. But my goal is to also put that inside a larger social picture of a racist society, whether it be structural, emotional, psychological, or in AZBear's comment. Quotas don't work. Entering the world as a collaborative player does. The US does not exist without the rest of the world, though we act as if we do. Mr Dobbs understands this somewhat, though his solutions are somewhat simplistic. The problem is that building a wall does not stop business from leaving. If we build a wall business will leave quicker than it already is, that is why there is little action in Washington. When that happens, Mr. Dobbs would blame it on immigrants or China when it is our own ignorance that fueled it. I am making an argument, and all of the responses to my argument are in rage without reason. Make an argument for something you support, don't just state it along with some sort of insult.

Seriously if all we have to represent America is a whole bunch of people shouting out ideas without an argument, then how can we expect to ever compete on the global stage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top