Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I was wondering about the different last names as well, didn't know if it was a cultural thing or just that they weren't really married. (probably the latter)
In Hispanic countries, people use 2 last names, the last name is actually the first last name and women do use their husband's last name with their maiden name being the second last name.

Often these are "common-law" marriages, single for the purpose of getting welfare and food stamps since it's always handy not to include the fathers' income, but married for social purposes. Also that way they save a lot on divorce, but there's another big reason -- they very often have other spouses back home and that prevents them from legal marriage again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,419,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In Hispanic countries, people use 2 last names, the last name is actually the first last name and women do use their husband's last name with their maiden name being the second last name.

Often these are "common-law" marriages, single for the purpose of getting welfare and food stamps since it's always handy not to include the fathers' income, but married for social purposes. Also that way they save a lot on divorce, but there's another big reason -- they very often have other spouses back home and that prevents them from legal marriage again.
I'm not surprised. After her initial deportation Elvira Arellano found someone to impregnate her and has been using Saulito since the day he was born. Her "friend" Flor has been holed up in Adalberto church for 6 months. Her initial claim was that she came here to work and send money back to her 3 children all of which were born before she was 21 years old and all of whom she has abandoned in order to remain in the US illegally. Now that she faces deportation, it appears she could care less whether those children starved to death since she hasn't worked in over 6 months.

What I find pathetic about these poor excuses for "mothers" is they use their children as if they are pawns in a chess game. They only care about them when they provide a source of income or a shield against their deportation.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,728,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
What I find pathetic about these poor excuses for "mothers" is they use their children as if they are pawns in a chess game. They only care about them when they provide a source of income or a shield against their deportation.
AMEN, JDubsMom . . . those poor kids are nothing but MEAL TICKETS for those sorry excuses for Mothers!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm not surprised. After her initial deportation Elvira Arellano found someone to impregnate her and has been using Saulito since the day he was born. Her "friend" Flor has been holed up in Adalberto church for 6 months. Her initial claim was that she came here to work and send money back to her 3 children all of which were born before she was 21 years old and all of whom she has abandoned in order to remain in the US illegally. Now that she faces deportation, it appears she could care less whether those children starved to death since she hasn't worked in over 6 months.

Kind of hard to argue with your points. They are all spot on.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,386,886 times
All of this horror will stop when people all around the world stop breaking immigration laws and that goes for our own people as well as the illegals in our country. When you are in another country you are a guest. Acting like your above the law is arrogance and it doesn't matter if it's keying a luxury car in Singapore or picking grapes in California. The law is the law break it and you will pay for it. Once people realize that the terror that the illegal alien claims he suffers will stop.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
AMEN, JDubsMom . . . those poor kids are nothing but MEAL TICKETS for those sorry excuses for Mothers!
It's inexcusable when a parent abandons or threatens to abandon his/her own offspring in a foreign country when returning home.

I fail to understand why they believes these stories of child abandonment would provoke anyone to accept the illegal parents more or why we would then want to reward them with citizenship just because they are horrendous parents.

I cannot imagine going to any country and then leaving without my kids -- for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration